I need help from you guys

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
Hello Sneapsters,

I am planning to get a new pc, A super powerfull one but what do you guys recommend. here we go...PC or Apple ?

I never worked with Pro Tools and working 5 years now with Nuendo.
I do a lot of midi programming ( Drums, Keys etc)

Now a lot of you would say that nuendo is better with midi but I see that a lot of bands use midi (wintersun example with the upcoming time) and they all use Pro Tools ( on macs).

I want the most powerfull of all so what would you recommend to built in my Pc/Mac ?

And does anyone have expierence with 64bit software as it can handle more Ram.

Now I have 2,5 gig ram and pentium 4.
And current project is 6x voxengo boogex, 1 x dfhs + eq's.
And when i am running it real time the cpu get's to 100.

Help me, tips, anything.

I'm not going into the Mac/Pc debate again but I want to say the biggest culprit in your case is the CPU.

I used to have a Celeron @ 2.66ghz that ran on 100%. I bought a Dual-Core Pentium (E2180) which was one of the cheapest dual core intels at the time and @ 2.0 ghz it managed the same projects on 20-30%. I have it slightly overclocked (2.66ghz) and it's still not reaching 100% with tons of tracks and heavy plugins. And that's a cpu you can get for 50 euro.

For 250-300 euros you can get an I7 that will be super fast. You'll need another 200 euros for the mainboard.

What's your budget?

I'd wonder about other issues causing that usage percentage.

I'm working on a 3 song demo for my band that is up to 20-28 tracks with an additional 14 group channels (all running plugins) and at last count 36 plugins and I'm sitting at 50% on a Core 2 Duo T5200 with 3GB ram.

Boogex is a CPU hog IMO, running 4 instances at once I see a big jump. I don't have DFHS so I can't comment on it. I can run AD without it using too much CPU, and this is with aptrigga replacing the AD stock tones.

My budget is around 1200 euro´s.
I was already thinking of that intel core i7.

So the proceccor has also a rol in the cpu i guess ?
I always thought cpu was about how much RAM you had. I am wrong i guess ?

CPU and RAM are barely connected. Unless you have really insufficient and slow RAM the biggest difference you'll feel is the CPU. I have 2gb ram and a project like the one you described would probably be under 50%, simply because the dual core CPUs are so much better than a pentium 4.