I NEED HELP ON MY VIBRATO!!!

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
This is getting ridiculous. I've been playing for 4 years now, and while I abandoned the utterly self-indulgent and pointless woodshedding-to-shred route long ago, I still have improved simply by just playing and writing what I love, which happenes to be at least somewhat challenging. However, for the life of me, I just cannot get a vibrato that isn't either really narrow and rapid or just kinda out of tune. I'm looking for something really expressive, like Neal Schon (Journey rules, screw you all) or Steve Vai. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I dunno, the best I can say is that I try to rotate my left wrist while holding a note, but the problem mostly is that I just can't seem to get the strings to move particularly easily (the fact that I play 13 gauge might have something to do with it :ill: , but I need it for tuning to C standard). I dunno, the only way I can really get the string to move is by pressing ridiculously hard so that it actually moves with my fingertip, but I can't imagine that there isn't an easier way.

I use my forearm for both faster style picking (left hand technique obviously) and the forearm for vibrato. I keep my wrist stiff for those two type of techniques. Not to say my style is right or wrong, better or worse, etc. etc. but that is what works best for me.

Bryant

Well, basically you can do vibrato 3 ways, classical style vibrato, rock vibrato, or using a wammy bar.
In classical vibrato, you should just hold the string and you either slightly move you hand back and forth or in a circular way, but your finger shouldn't be moving at all, and neither should the string.
Rock vibrato is just basically bending the string up and then back to the original note, but much less than an actual bend, and you just keep repeating the little bends for however long you want the vibrato/ how fast you want it.
Wammy bar is pretty self explanitory.
Basically, classical vibrato involves side to side movement, while rock involves up and down movement.

The rock vibrato is definately what I was implying, because I wouldn't think a classical style would transfer very well to rock playing. However, while bending obviously doesn't take much effort, doing it somewhat rapidly and controlled (e.g., vibrato) just seems to elude me. I guess there's really not much that can be said without display, but thank you guys for the help all the same.