I think I just fell in love...

XnaySaturo

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal, Canada
...with Reaper! I got my new laptop this week and while setting up everything for audio work, I figured I'd give Reaper a shot. I've been a Sonar user since I started and wow. Reaper has everything I thought Sonar was lacking or just stuff I was annoyed about. There's even a quick-start PDF on the Cockos website to ease the switch from Sonar to Reaper.

Anyways, Cockos has one more enthusiastic customer! Anyone else made the switch recently?

I made the switch a few months ago, and i f*cking love it.
I used pro-tools at school, cubase at home, but the workflow for reaper fits me so much better!

What particular issues were you having with Sonar? I use Sonar and tried Reaper for a bit, and while it conserves resources MUCH better than Sonar, I found everything else quite awkward.

My curiosity is piqued! Please elaborate! I've been a Sonar user since version 1, but I occasionally flirt with the idea of giving reaper a shot. I think I'm just afraid because I've put quite a bit of money into various sonar versions over the years.

I'm a bit annoyed with the fact that sonar's now time cursor doean't gently scoll, but rather skips forward every time its reaches the right hand side of the screen. I asked tech support if there was a way to make it scroll but they thought I was asking a question about audio drivers or something.

I WANT to like Reaper so badly. But every time I've tried to use it I've been repulsed by the awkward UI, and general function of it. I hope at some stage I can look past all that, but until then, sticking with Cubase (and not willingly either).

awkward UI

I used Cubase for a few years before switching to Reaper, and that's actually how I feel when I see Cubase now.

Just to clarify, you don't have it set to the "classic theme," do you? Because yeah, that looks pretty terrible. I have zero complaints about the Default or Default 2.0 themes, however.

does reaper still have an audio editor?

You mean like when you double-click on an item to edit a WAV? If so, no, but you can set another program to do this (people like to use Wavesaur). I don´t use this function as I´ve set a shortcut to maximize the selected track and edit the items in place, so I´ve set Melodyne as the outside item editor. Got the idea from someone on this board.

The only thing I miss from Nuendo is that black bar on the top with all the numeric information about the cursor and selected items (start, end, fades, etc) that you could change the values by clicking above or below each digit.

Well honestly so far it's all the little simple stuff. I like the UI better, and how the mouse scroll wheel serves different functions depending on the context. All the simple plugins replace stuff that's bulky, awkward and hard to use in Sonar (like AudioSnap). The way you can create track folders instead of having to bus everything. The FX bins with multiple folders, and a search functions for VST plugins (which was fucking horrible in Sonar, having to scoll for a whole two minutes every time I want something further along alphabetically, like Rverb, Rvox, etc.). Zooming in and out of your audio clips in Sonar was clunky as hell, especially if you had all your plugins floating at the bottom of the screen (which I found sometimes useful, but I couldn't seem to be able to get rid of them.). Plus, it's 60$.

So yeah, it's probably honeymoon phase for me right now, and I'll post back when I have problems with Reaper, but so far it's a definite win for Cockos.

::Edit:: Oh, also, the rendering windows is a LOT better. If you want to render to MP3 in Sonar, you have to download LAME, obviously, but you have to input different settings for bitrate and everything, and save that in a config file for Sonar. In Reaper, there's LAME functionality built-in that allows you to change those settings in the Reaper interface and easily make presets.

The project I'm working on now is about to get stupidly complicated. I might have to download the Reaper demo and give it a shot before I make a mess in Sonar.

Oh yeah! The way you can set recieves for tracks too. Everything is neatly organised and stowed away instead of having a dozen drop down menus.

Yep. Only thing that bugs me is that the right-click menus are sometimes laid out in weird places.

Took me a while to figure out how to automatically create the multichannel outputs for Superior 2.

Well honestly so far it's all the little simple stuff. I like the UI better, and how the mouse scroll wheel serves different functions depending on the context. All the simple plugins replace stuff that's bulky, awkward and hard to use in Sonar (like AudioSnap). The way you can create track folders instead of having to bus everything. The FX bins with multiple folders, and a search functions for VST plugins (which was fucking horrible in Sonar, having to scoll for a whole two minutes every time I want something further along alphabetically, like Rverb, Rvox, etc.). Zooming in and out of your audio clips in Sonar was clunky as hell, especially if you had all your plugins floating at the bottom of the screen (which I found sometimes useful, but I couldn't seem to be able to get rid of them.). Plus, it's 60$.

So yeah, it's probably honeymoon phase for me right now, and I'll post back when I have problems with Reaper, but so far it's a definite win for Cockos.

::Edit:: Oh, also, the rendering windows is a LOT better. If you want to render to MP3 in Sonar, you have to download LAME, obviously, but you have to input different settings for bitrate and everything, and save that in a config file for Sonar. In Reaper, there's LAME functionality built-in that allows you to change those settings in the Reaper interface and easily make presets.

AudioSnap is kinda awkward, but once you figure out its quirks and learn to work around its issues (like taking up a fuckton of CPU), it can be quite effective for editing drums - Reaper just doesn't have this option, only slip-editing.

Also, for the plugins - not sure if you knew, but you can organise them in Sonar. Eg. here is what mine looks like, all the commonly used plugins easily accessible, then menus for everything else. Gets annoying when you add new plugins though.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Plugins.jpg

Anyways, Sonar does have its issues (like any DAW), and I'd love to be able to switch to Reaper because its so goddamn fast (after editing drums in Sonar my computer locks up, Reaper manages resources SO much better), but I can't bring myself to do it yet.