I think I may actually have found a ReValver cab I like!

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
Immediately after buying ReValver last year I just automatically started using impulses, as I couldn't find a single cab in the ones that come with the program that worked in a mix. They are, for the most part, even worse than Line 6 cab emulation. They're scratchy, honky, stiff, and lifeless.

After falling in and out of love with the fredman impulses (and wanting to find something else to use because of their widespread over-use! :lol:) I dicked around some more with ReValver and found this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Darkadian/bo bmx3 (b and a).mp3

Not mind-blowing by any means, and just the beginnings as I've only just discovered it, but I'm sure after some tweaking it could be very usable for demo mixes! :kickass:

It's the JSX cab, bo bmx (b) on the left and (a) on the right, quad tracked through the 6505.

It's a little honky but I'm sure I could dial that out with a little tweaking. I just like how much presence it has (not meaning the presence frequencies, I mean how 'present' it is in the mix) without being harsh, and is voiced well enough to not battle with the OH.

What do you think?

Very nice tone! :eek:
Never thought that it'd be possible with Revalver to get such
a good sound.
Could you please give more information about your settings?
I love the drums! What did you use for them? I want my toms
to sound as good as yours! :D

I think ReValver is a fantastic tool and should be given much more of a chance. Out of all forms of simulation it is the most realistic I've come across, second to the Axe FX. It just takes a little tweaking and it's just right there.

I'll post screen shots when I work on it some more later mang!

Drums are all metal foundry, kick is Slate

wow man the drums and the guitars sound great, one of the best Ive heard in a while, please tell us what you used, chains, settings, all that good stuff would be much appreciated :D

very ace tone and mix, indeed. i only have a demo version of it, but i can get some pretty mean tones when i load in other 3rd party impulses running from the 6505+. i just wish i could afford to buy the full version so i can really use the tones D:

Sorry dudes, been hella busy, will try and get screen grabs asap

very ace tone and mix, indeed. i only have a demo version of it, but i can get some pretty mean tones when i load in other 3rd party impulses running from the 6505+. i just wish i could afford to buy the full version so i can really use the tones D:

Just get the HP version man, it's less than half the price. I didn't see the point in buying the full version for just a few extra amps and some extra tweakage (ok, a LOT more tweakage, but tweakage that probably would have been wasted on me for what I wanted it for). It's like $99 I believe? As opposed to $180 or so for the full MkIII edition

Sig Chain
Bone stock Kramer Striker FR424 > Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 > Cubase

1.%20revalve.JPG

Two guitars of this on the left (usual config of 100% % 80%, the 80% tracks being -3db lower in the mix) and two exactly the same on the right only the (a) cab.

Then all rhythms sent to this bus:

2.%20EQ%20n%20multicomp.JPG

typical hp/lp and Andy's C4

Any more questions and I'll get more screen grabs!

SWEET Man! but in a way i was looking forward to those drums settings :D

EDIT: oh and how did you get that bass boost @ .21 sec sorry im still learning and thanks to this forum ive learned a lot.

Drum Chain

I'm just gonna give a rough guide to the main drum processing as I can't be fucked to take pics of every single plug-in in SD2.0 as well as all the Cubase chains :lol: But the main bus chains are all pic'd!

Drums are The Metal Foundry:
Pearl 5x14" Free Floating - Maple. Top and bottom mics both lightly compressed and EQ'd (dip at 760hz, raised 2-6k). Top mic has a transient tool sucking out some of the sustain, because it's got "ping" for fuckin DAYS. They are then bus'd where they are comp'd a bit harder, and EQ'd some more (in the same fashion as before but with a bump in the 250hz~ range for body). That is then sent to another bus on a send, where it's absolutely fuckin slammed to the floor for some nice parallel comp going on! The first bus is sent out to a verb in Cubase.

Toms are the DW's tuned down -0:0.2. All bus'd with a slight dip at 250hz~ and bringing out some 6-10k click/stick. These are then brought out of SD2 into Cubase where they are sent to a nice roomy verb (always better to use room verb for toms vs a plate verb, just feels more natural!). The trick to the tom sound I'm rockin here is FULL room bleed. In fact: I have full OH and Ambient Mic bleed on everything which is just hp/lp like you would the real deal, the only things that are taken down a few db (literally like -3db) are snare and hi hat, as they can be a little overbearing.

Kick is Slate 10z3 with the following chain:

kick%20chain.JPG

All drum channels are output to a bus with GClip:

bus%20clipper.JPG

then THAT channel is sent to another bus on a send, where I apply a really hard compressor:

parallel%20comp.JPG

Seriously crush the shit out of it so it's blasting like fuck (props to Ola for sparking my love for this shit!). Then that's blended in until you can feel the punch of the comp'd bus but it's not overpowering the mix and the original drum track is the dominant volume.

Master bus is nothing special at all. I usually don't have any processes on my master bus when I'm mixing but I'll sometimes throw on a couple plug-ins if I'm mixing it down to show ppl etc:

master%20chain.JPG

:headbang:

thanks! although it sounds like Chinese to me. This whole bus sending to bus sending to bus sending to bus whoa whoa whoa i thought on cubase you make a GROUP CHANNEL then send all your drums into there call that your drum bus and then in that bus you can add a compressor as in INSERT then just play with it, i didnt know i could then send that to a bus? then send that to another bus? then add reverb?

Hahaha yeah sorry man, that's my fault for not explaining properly. Technically a "group channel" is a bus, but the audio is being sent there in its entirety, not in parallel like on a "send".
But yes, you are correct and I should have explained better.

Main drums ALL go to GROUP channel, which is then SENT to a bus on a SEND so both the group channel and the bus'd channel are playing in unison.