I want to re tube my 6505 what should i get and where do i get em

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
this is brand new to me i have never seen inside my 6505 never mind putting new tubes in there!

had it for a while now and thought it would be a good idea to put in some new tubes,

what should i get and where do i get em?

is it fairly easy to change the tubes?

im guessing theres different tubes for the pre-amp and the power amp section?

will different tubes give me a different tone?

thanks

As far as i know,When you change different tubes as stocks are,you have to do some bias settings.(Don't ask how or what...)lol.
I recommend to give your amp to somebody who knows what he is doing.
And ,Yes, When you change the tubes different as stocks are,you will get "different" tone.

If I'm wrong, someone can tell how this thing is.

Hey there,

Get tesla jj tubes for both the power and pre amp stages.
They will give you a different tone than the stock tubes. You can experiment with different tubes in the V1 position of the pre amp stage, but to start off just replace them all.

Once you have played them for a few weeks you ae ready to mess around with a different tube in the V1 position if you want to chase a particular tone.

No need to rebias this amp as it has a fixed bias setting.

You can get the tubes from Hotrox or Watford valves in the UK, both suppliers are great and very helpful.

Remember your tone will depend on many factors, guitar wood, pickups, speakers cabinet type, wood etc etc etc. The list goes on.

If you need any help give me a shout.
:headbang:

And buy a Mac and use Logic and put EMGs in all your guitars and get DFHS and the Slate samples and never get any advice about stuff you really use because that would just be too helpful.

Jeff

For a 5150, you do not need to re-bias when replacing the 6L6's with new ones.

I like JJ power tubes in the 5150, but I think JJ preamp tubes suck. I like Tung-Sol's or 9th Gen Chinese tubes (Shuguang factory). Some people swear by NOS RFT's in the V1 position in 5150's, but I've never tried them.

The tubes may change certain characteristics of the amp, but I don't think it really changes the voicing all that much. It's still going to sound like a 5150, just maybe a bit more "this or that" (more highs, rounder lows, etc.)

And buy a Mac and use Logic and put EMGs in all your guitars and get DFHS and the Slate samples and never get any advice about stuff you really use because that would just be too helpful.

Jeff

ahahahaha.

On a more serious note, I think the stock tubes are very good.

But JJs are good if you want to change : http://www.eurotubes.com/
I bought from belgium, and the deal was great.

They have tubes for stock 6505, you don't have to take the amp to a tech. You can change it yourself. They will provide you with some advices to do so. Yes it is very easy.

Hum I would not buy tubes on ebay.

what is all this talk of v5 position ?

Peavey 5150 Head - Full Retube Kit
Price: 118.50
Description: Standard retube which includes a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's and 5 ECC83S's with one of them balanced for the phase inverter in V5. Smooth out the harsh mids and tighten up the lows!

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=40

theres so many different kits its a tad confusing on which one i should be going for, the descriptions are fair enough but i have always been happy with the tone i got from the 6505 i don't want to alter it completely, a little boost here and there would be nice though.

can anyone else state that the 6505 has a set bias mode im reading alot of different posts with people saying different things on this.

what is all this talk of v5 position ?

Peavey 5150 Head - Full Retube Kit
Price: 118.50
Description: Standard retube which includes a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's and 5 ECC83S's with one of them balanced for the phase inverter in V5. Smooth out the harsh mids and tighten up the lows!

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=40

theres so many different kits its a tad confusing on which one i should be going for, the descriptions are fair enough but i have always been happy with the tone i got from the 6505 i don't want to alter it completely, a little boost here and there would be nice though.

can anyone else state that the 6505 has a set bias mode im reading alot of different posts with people saying different things on this.

Id' go with the standard 6L6 Full Retube Kit. No high gain for me (6505 are high gainy enough) nor low gain (METAL).

The biais is "fixed" = there should somewhere in the amp circuit a resistor that defines the biais = the voltage applied to the tubes grid. A mod could be swapping the resistor with a variable resistance, that could be changed with a trim pot. Thus, the biais could be changed to fit better the amp circuit.

Use the search function, people spoke about that and gave their impressions.

A little insight from Jerry at FJA Mods regarding the whole "balanced phase inverter tube" stuff...

"V5 is in the middle. The phase inverter is V4. Peavey doesn’t label them in order, I don’t know why. The balanced phase inverter isn’t going to have any major affect on the tone. The phase inverter is a self balancing circuit and the output transformer of the amp isn’t balanced so a balanced tube is useless. You may hear a small difference from tube to tube, but the difference is the tube itself and not if it’s balanced or not."

Preamp tubes:
The preamp tube that will change your tone the most is V1. When you change your pre tubes, and your looking at the amp from the back, the tube that is located on the right, out of the 5, is V1. A cool thing to remember is V1 is farthest right and closest to the guitar input jack on the front. When you order your tubes, order the 5 pre tubes, (I dig JJs) but get a couple extra 12ax7s of a different brand, say a tungsol and a Mullard, if your chasing tone. Just switch that one tube out in V1, and one tube will always stand out with the tone you like best. Even try all the old pre tubes you took out. It can become obsessive!

Power tubes:
Don't buy from ebay, rather buy from tube specialty stores such as: the tubestore, eurotubes, etc. When you buy the 4 power tubes, they HAVE to be matched, so buy a quartet. When you take out your old tubes LABEL them 1, 2, 3, 4 with a sharpie or some shit. If you blow one of your new tubes. You can take out the new set and put your old set back in. I like Tung Sols and Tube Doctor, in the power section. Of course, I recommend the bias mod.:lol:

5150/6505

Tube order Right to Left looking from the back is:
(RIGHT)V1 V2 V5 V3 V4(LEFT)

V1 First Gain Stage
V2 Second Gain Stage
V5 Third Gain Stage???
V3 is for the Loop
V4 is Phase Inverter

5150/6505 uses all tubes in that order for both Rhythm and Lead Channels.

5150II/6505+

Tube order Right to Left looking from the back is:
(RIGHT)V6 V1 V2 V5 V3 V4(LEFT)

Clean and Crunch

V1 (one half of V1)
V6
V3
V4

5150II/6505+ uses just those 4 tubes in that order for Clean and Crunch

Lead

V1
V2
V5
V3
V4

5150II/6505+ uses just those 5 tubes in that order for Lead (same tube usage as 5150/6505 for both Rhythm and Lead channels).

http://www.fjamods.com/5150Models.html