I want to re tube my 6505 what should i get and where do i get em

I put JJ 6L6's in my 6505 today and did a direct comparison to the Ruby 6L6 by reamping a couple of different tracks with the same DI's/settings/mic position etc... with both sets of Power tubes at various volumes (a definitive test :loco:). Couldn't tell the difference. :lol: If I randomly played a Ruby or JJ track I couldn't consistantly pick which was which. Too close to call. I had a shit sound dialled in on the 6505 but it was enough to illustrate the lack of difference. So, the Ruby's stay.

With the Krank, the JJ's slayed the original Sovteks, but the Ruby's held up well in the 6505.

But, what do I know, I am tone deaf. :lol:

I have some mp3's if anyone is interested.

yeah post em man, i just checked what kinda tubes came with my 6505.

its a mix of jj, electro harmonix and sovteks, i was surprised at this?
i thought the 6505 would come with a straight set of sovteks, i didn't expect a mix, my friends was the same but without the jj tubes.

yeah post em man, i just checked what kinda tubes came with my 6505.

its a mix of jj, electro harmonix and sovteks, i was surprised at this?
i thought the 6505 would come with a straight set of sovteks, i didn't expect a mix, my friends was the same but without the jj tubes.

Yeah, mine came stock with a jj in V1. It's was one of the best sounding tubes I have tried in V1. Ruby tubes...meh.

Mine came stock with:
V1 JJ ECC83S
V2 JJ ECC83S
V5 EH 12AX7
V3 Sovtek 12AX7LPS
V4 Sovtek 12AX7LPS

I changed the EH to a JJ.

Gnash, yes with the bias set correctly for the tubes I am sure it would have been a different story but with the stock fixed bias the difference between the tubes is minimal. As far as Ruby tubes I haven't used any Preamp tubes, just poweramp. My Preamp choice is definitely JJ.

Here's the comparo, as I have said (a few posts above), the tone in these clips is poor and I do not like it. I was trying poidaobi's latest 5150 settings and mic placement. They work for him, unfortunately they sure do not work with my amp and cab. :erk:

EDIT: There is just guitar and drums in the mix, no Bass guitar.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/f21f0b20-d5b7-499c-9a47-94baa22ff472/6505-Ruby-V-JJ

Ok, so heres the deal. I'm about to retube my amp as well. (6505+, not the Engl) Anyways, I already have the preamp tubes I want. As far as the power amp tubes though I can either go straight 6L6 or 2 6L6s and 2 KT66s. I'm not sure what sound difference that would make. Anybody care to help me out?

EDIT: Nevermind guys, I found my answer.

Not trying to stir up trouble nor necessarily counterdict someone as knowledgeable as Jerry, but I had this same question for a 5150II a few years ago & went right to Peavey for direction. Here is the email response & take it for what it is worth: :kickass:

If you look at the rear of the amp, the preamp tubes are on the right side. Looking from right to left, the tubes are arranged as follows:
#1 (far right) is the input stage and rhythm channel
#2 is shared by the rhythm and lead channel
#3 and #4- lead channel
#5 effects loop driver
#6 phase splitter

Regards,
Roger Crimm
Regional Service Manager
Peavey Electronics
rcrimm@peavey.com [/COLOR]

>>> 01/07/06 >>>

Could you please tell me how the preamp tubes are laid out on the
5150II? Specifically, I need to know if positions from left to right (or right
to left) equate to the corresponding equivalent "V" position?
Does position 1 looking from the back on right side(or left side) = V1
position, 2nd from right = V2 position, and so forth?
I want to make sure I put my new tubes into the correct "V" positions!
Thanks in advance for your response! There is a lot of confusing
information out on the net regarding this.