I want to trade my EMG's

EtherForBreakfast

Hamster Style
Jun 19, 2005
Worth a shot I spose. I've got an EMG 85 / SA / SA hss set in my main usa jacksonian. I'm looking to trade straight up for tone zone / fast track / pro track / chopper etc etc or duncans..

anybody?

Personally i dont like the sound of the EMG's. It all boils down to personaly prefrence. I like a smoother round tone, I use dimarzio PAF PRO pickups in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck ....

The EMG;s to me dont let the guitars natural tone come through. I like that fact that they are active and quiet as a mofo .... but as for the tone, personally it doesnt give me what im looking for.

Da Fukn Guru

Yea, I've never been a HUGE fan of EMG's. However I love the bass pickups. I usually have DiMarzio pickups in my guitars, X2N's, Nortons, PAF Pro's, Tone Zone's, Air Nortons, all sorts. The few times I used an EMG (two 81's in an ESP M-II), I thought they were okay, but not convincing enough for me to put into all my guitars. I'd love to get a 7 string and put one in the bridge with the 18 volt mod though, anyone done that?

Im about to actually ...lol

I dont like the EMG's but im going to try this on this POS 7 string i got laying around ... Its a rogue and the tone SUX ... so it wont get any better but mabe the EMG's will make it sound better than it does. Gimme a few weeks and ill let you know how it goes ..

Da Fukn Guru

I've been playing guitar a long time, I've probably owned 100+ guitars in that time, and have tried just about every pickup available.

I am finally done with my Ibanez "phase" and have gone back to my roots - USA Jackson SL1. This particular Jackson has the 85 / SA / SA in there, a set that I installed and have not used in a bit. I recently switched back and am really finding myself wanting to yank these EMG's.

I would never say they sound "bad", the 85 is a great bridge pup, I am just much more at home with Tone Zone or X2N in bridge, and "honest" lower output neck and middle pups like fast track 1, pro track, chopper, cruiser, etc etc.

It's one of those things where you have a "Macintosh guy" and a "PC guy". Well.... I am not an "EMG guy" if that makes sense. lol.

Not to mention, there is no coil cut or tapping options on these pups. I realize EMG makes an active phase splitter but its not the same. Since this SL1 is now my main axe, I need more versatility than just bridge and neck tones... Hope that makes sense.

Soooo... If anyone would like to trade me, I'm all ears...

I've got a crapass LTD 202 sitting around the house I think I might drop two Invaders in just for the sake of something fucked up to use as a live local axe here and there. I've got the LP Custom and the ESP Horizon fitted with Duncans already, Im kind of sticking with them myself, so....

Maybe you would consider something from Bill Lawrence? I havent had any experience with them, myself, but... worth looking into?

J

I used to use the L500XL's the OLD ones ... really hard to find,

Dime used them in his deans for years until duncan started making the dimebucker, its duncans version of the L500XL.

If you can find them the L500xl's were HOTT and had precence.

I love those things but they are really hard to find.

Da Fukn Guru

I am familiar with the Lawrence stuff. I had an L500 in the bridge of my 93 Padauk N4. My fave bridge pups are the X2N, Tone Zone, and Drop Sonic in that order - I like Dimarzio pups. I think they make great "shredder" pickups, especially their stacked single coils for Greg Howe stuff. I used to have a Dimebucker in an old San Dimas Charvel and liked it for a little bit. I put a Custom Custom in its place and was much happier.

Mendel - Actually, I cannot stand the EMG 81, in any position. I realize that Kirk "stuck in wah drenched minor pentatonic box land" Hammett uses them as does Kerry King - and those are 2 people whom I would never associate with being good lead players or having anything even remotely close to good lead tone! As for clean tones from either the 81 or 85, they are not intended for clean nor do they sound good clean so I'm not sure what you're on about with that one... But if you like em, that's great. Personal perference.

I guess I'll just have to ebay and snatch some used Dimarzios and flip these EMG's.

EtherForBreakfast said:
I've been playing guitar a long time, I've probably owned 100+ guitars in that time, and have tried just about every pickup available.

I am finally done with my Ibanez "phase" and have gone back to my roots - USA Jackson SL1. This particular Jackson has the 85 / SA / SA in there, a set that I installed and have not used in a bit. I recently switched back and am really finding myself wanting to yank these EMG's.

I would never say they sound "bad", the 85 is a great bridge pup, I am just much more at home with Tone Zone or X2N in bridge, and "honest" lower output neck and middle pups like fast track 1, pro track, chopper, cruiser, etc etc.

It's one of those things where you have a "Macintosh guy" and a "PC guy". Well.... I am not an "EMG guy" if that makes sense. lol.

Not to mention, there is no coil cut or tapping options on these pups. I realize EMG makes an active phase splitter but its not the same. Since this SL1 is now my main axe, I need more versatility than just bridge and neck tones... Hope that makes sense.

Soooo... If anyone would like to trade me, I'm all ears...
the EMG 85 is a great pickup, and one of the most "honest" i've heard. that's the thing with EMG for me, you get back what you play in, with all the articulation and control (or lack thereof) that comes from your fingers.. the beauty of the 85 is that it does this with a nice wide frequency response.

i'm not an "EMG guy" or a "DiMarzio guy" or a "Seymore guy"... i'm a "pickup guy" ... i have SA's in 3 of my guitars and i'm not into them.. they are good pickups, just not for metal solos or clean sounds.. which is all i ever use neck pickups for anyway. i intend to speak soon with EMG and discuss the develpment of a better single coil sized option for my purposes. i'll let you all know how that goes.

James - that is exactly my point and exactly how I feel. I really do genuinely LIKE the 85 in the bridge, for rhythm and lead work; it is mostly the SA's that I am really disappointed with. There is a huge output difference between the 2 when switching back and forth from bridge to neck, which I tend to do a lot. Having said that, I do not want to keep the active 85 in bridge, and then put in 2 passives in the mid and neck, for a variety of reasons the least of which being the different value pots required.

I'd be curious to know what EMG comes up with, with your input. If the SA's had a better overall sound, and slightly higher output to match the 85, I would probably keep the whole set in there... Alas, I'm going back to Dimarzios.

PS - I guess I am also a "pickup guy", I'm not totally dedicated to one brand, but Dimarzio offers a lot more variety when it comes to stacked single coils than Duncan does.

EtherForBreakfast said:
James - that is exactly my point and exactly how I feel. I really do genuinely LIKE the 85 in the bridge, for rhythm and lead work; it is mostly the SA's that I am really disappointed with. There is a huge output difference between the 2 when switching back and forth from bridge to neck, which I tend to do a lot. Having said that, I do not want to keep the active 85 in bridge, and then put in 2 passives in the mid and neck, for a variety of reasons the least of which being the different value pots required.

I'd be curious to know what EMG comes up with, with your input. If the SA's had a better overall sound, and slightly higher output to match the 85, I would probably keep the whole set in there... Alas, I'm going back to Dimarzios.

PS - I guess I am also a "pickup guy", I'm not totally dedicated to one brand, but Dimarzio offers a lot more variety when it comes to stacked single coils than Duncan does.
i've had several guitars over the years that mixed an 85 with passive single coils.. it's not hard to do, and no extra pots were needed. my two most famous guitars of that variety were my Fender Custom shop guitars... one of which you can see me playing on the cover of Live At The Filmore and the other is next to me on the back cover of my first solo CD, Convergence. many techs will tell you that it can't be done... because they don't know how.. but it is totally possible, and the levels between the bridge and neck are nice and even.

for the record, the pickup configuration in those 2 guitars was Bridge: EMG 85, Middle: DiMarzio HS-3, Neck: Fender Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Special.

not hard to do at all.

Cool! Inside dirt. (My fave solo cd of yours is Feeding The Machine, BTW.)

As for mixing pups, I used to run a mixed active/passive set; Duncan livewire metal in bridge and 2 Pro Tracks in mid and neck. I know how to do it, as I wire all of my guitars and do all my own setups, I just dont wanna do it again. Also, I like the tweeners at #2 and #4 on a 5-way when you combine cut coils with bridge/mid and cancel hum, cant do that with an 85 (yah yah.. I know.. the 89)... I appreciate you trying to keep me on EMG's hahahah, I'm just done with 'em. =) My EMG's will soon have the fate of New Orleans... GONE! =)

What's up with the 18v mod? Someone mentioned it here the other day, and what it's supposed to do sounds good. (no distorting in the preamp or something?)
Obviously it's about doubling the power, but is that all there is to the mod.. facilitating another battery?

I have an 81/7 in the bridge of my Epiphone V 7 string... and nothing else. But the guitar I'm getting soon (Schecter Damien 7) has 2 passive EMGs that are supposedly shitty. I'd probably put the 81/7 in the Schecter, would I have to totally re-wire that sort of setup for the mod?

I currently have mine wired as 18V, and I would not call it a "mod". All you do is add an extra battery clip and wire it in series. Black (from ring of jack) to first batt clip, red of first batt clip to black of second batt clip, red of second batt clip to hot.

You can also wire in parallel which keeps it 9V but extends the batt. life which is black to black, red to red.. easy stuff.

Thanks EFB

Anyone here tried Lundgren pick ups? Meshuggah use them, and therefore everyone that way inclined praises them. Any non-fanboy thoughts on those around?