Should I trade my RG550ex for a Jackson SLSMG?

I wouldn't do it. Not exactly the same guitars, but I do own an '06 DXMG (Japanese, same series as the SLSMG, made in the same factory) and a '98 RG570 (Japanese too but made by Fujigen). I think the Ibby has a very slight edge over the Jackson when it comes to playability, but the gap between the Ibby and the Jackson is much bigger in the tone department. The Ibby sounds much nicer. JMO.

I think the general view on the Japanese Jacksons was that they were well put together, but made of not so great woods.

gypu4ybu.jpg

I would, I love this baby!

Thanks for the (conflicting) opinions.
Food for thought.
The RG isn't really getting used much so I plan to move it on and this seemed like the ideal opportunity to get a good Jap fixed bridge guitar that should sit well with the ESP M1 as left/right tracks.
It's the older model with EMG HZ pickups so that would actually be better than actives since I would swap them to Duncans anyway.
I will have a think about it.

Well, I don't mean to say my Jap Jackson is a bad guitar. It plays great, just don't think it's in the same league as the Ibanez, even though mine are pretty similar guitars, but that's just my experience.

Objective things to keep in mind:
Jackson necks are thicker than Ibanez necks. Both are thin, but Ibanez necks are thinner and flatter with a flatter fretboard. That's a taste thing, though.
I wouldn't know about a mahogany neck-thru guitar, but the neck on Ibanezes is multi-piece quarter sawn maple.
Jacksons have the bridge pickup further away from the bridge than Ibanezes. This usually results in a darker/bassier/looser/more grunty kinda sound from the bridge pickup. Again, taste thing.
Ibanezes have more expensive hardware (Gotoh) vs. whatever they use on Jacksons.
I believe the finish is thinner on Ibanezes.