I want to trade my EMG's

EtherForBreakfast said:
I appreciate you trying to keep me on EMG's hahahah, I'm just done with 'em. =) My EMG's will soon have the fate of New Orleans... GONE! =)
heh... i'm not making any effort to keep you on EMG's... jsut to keep you from misleading anyone else on here that may be on the fence. by all means, switch... you're gonna be one more person who i will always get better tone than... lol.. and the more of those, the better for me!:D

j/k, kind of.

EtherForBreakfast said:
My EMG's will soon have the fate of New Orleans... GONE! =)

LOL that's some fucked up shit man, haha, I got CNN on right now, practicing my chops watching the great apocalypse unfold down south, I feel for those people down there but a certain part of me kind of wants to see everything get destroyed.
:tickled:

James Murphy said:
you're gonna be one more person who i will always get better tone than... lol.. and the more of those, the better for me!:D

j/k, kind of.

Haha, that's kinda fucked up, but I can assure you the reason for that has very little to do with EMG pickups... or any pickups for that matter. =)

Hey - do you still keep in touch with Matt Guillory? Any hopes of another Dali's CD?? Pat Reyes is a frigging BAD ASS. That band was like a better Dream Theater, without the gayness of James LaBrie(cheese).

James Murphy said:
heh... i'm not making any effort to keep you on EMG's... jsut to keep you from misleading anyone else on here that may be on the fence. by all means, switch... you're gonna be one more person who i will always get better tone than... lol.. and the more of those, the better for me!:D

j/k, kind of.

You do NOT have better tone than Brett Garsed, or Allan Holdsworth, or Scott Henderson, and they don't use 85's. But then again they also don't play the same exact things you would play, so the word "better" doesn't really apply. Maybe just "different". It's like 4:30am and I just finished my 11-4 mix session and I am completely fucking fried so forgive my for my wonderful coherence James...

ps...I like Lilitu and Noah Martin plays bass on the album I'm producing/mixing.

EtherForBreakfast said:
Haha, that's kinda fucked up, but I can assure you the reason for that has very little to do with EMG pickups... or any pickups for that matter. =)

Hey - do you still keep in touch with Matt Guillory? Any hopes of another Dali's CD?? Pat Reyes is a frigging BAD ASS. That band was like a better Dream Theater, without the gayness of James LaBrie(cheese).

Dude that band was AWESOME, hopefully at some point Jeremy and Matt and the brothers can get back together and put out another one of those little gems.

Shokai, hehe. You like the same cats I do. You forgot one very very big bad ass tone monster though. Andy Timmons. That guy is sick, sick, sick. As you said though, James doesn't do the same kinda stuff as those guys, he is definitely "metal" and the EMG is perfect for metal, so... I thought that was a fucked up thing to say, ahahaha. Oh well. James has license to say such things, but I agree with you about the cats that you mentioned.

Speaking of Henderson, have you ever used any Suhr pups?

EtherForBreakfast said:
Shokai, hehe. You like the same cats I do. You forgot one very very big bad ass tone monster though. Andy Timmons. That guy is sick, sick, sick. As you said though, James doesn't do the same kinda stuff as those guys, he is definitely "metal" and the EMG is perfect for metal, so... I thought that was a fucked up thing to say, ahahaha. Oh well. James has license to say such things, but I agree with you about the cats that you mentioned.

Speaking of Henderson, have you ever used any Suhr pups?

I've played a bunch of Suhrs, Ironically just fucking around with them chilling with some friends, and they weren't plugged in (lame I know, I noodle). I've heard nothing but good things about those pickups, in all their expensive boutique glory. I like my DiMarzios a lot though, I have PAF Pros on my Vigier Surfreter and they sing.

Michael Romeo would be considered a metal player, and he used to use EMG's and now uses DiMarzio's and he has some pretty sick ass tone too. Except for the Symphony X live album, ugh, hershey squirts.

I'd love to get like and ESP Horizon or Eclipse though and put an 85 in the bridge, if I needed a guitar just for doing heavy metal rhythm tracks in the bridge position. I like the clean tone, it's very sterile, but definitely has a use.

ShokaiShimizu said:
You do NOT have better tone than Brett Garsed, or Allan Holdsworth, or Scott Henderson, and they don't use 85's. But then again they also don't play the same exact things you would play, so the word "better" doesn't really apply. Maybe just "different". It's like 4:30am and I just finished my 11-4 mix session and I am completely fucking fried so forgive my for my wonderful coherence James...

ps...I like Lilitu and Noah Martin plays bass on the album I'm producing/mixing.
when i read your first sentence i was ready to fire back an ass-ripper... lol.. but yeah, you already shot down your own statement.. and i've gotten tone for Henderson, just listen to the first Vital Tech Tones album... i recorded it.

ShokaiShimizu said:
Dude that band was AWESOME, hopefully at some point Jeremy and Matt and the brothers can get back together and put out another one of those little gems.
yeah, i recorded all the guitars and keys for that CD at my old studio in Oakland. fun time, those guys were killer. Guillory is a badass for sure, i'll have to ask Varney whatever happened to him.

For some reason the 85 just isnt my cup of tea. I totally agree you get all the articulation and clarity. But im still not a fan of it....

Mabe its cause my technique sux ....lol

Ive just always been into the PAF sound, Duncan JB's & Dimarzio PAF and PAF pros. Hell Skol used em ...thats actually what made me 1st try them....lol

But all i have to say is VAI + Dimarzio = Awsome Tone ....:p

Da Fukn Guru

P.S. cant wait for the death tribute ... im psyched !!!!!!!

James Murphy said:
when i read your first sentence i was ready to fire back an ass-ripper... lol.. but yeah, you already shot down your own statement.. and i've gotten tone for Henderson, just listen to the first Vital Tech Tones album... i recorded it.

of course I shot it down, you think I WANTED the ass ripping? haha

James Murphy said:
when i read your first sentence i was ready to fire back an ass-ripper...

Hehehe. Ass Ripper.

You recorded the first VTT album??? I was not aware of that. Also not aware that you recorded the guitars for Dali's... That's pretty impressive.

Funny thing about the JB. Everyone thinks it is the Jeff Beck pickup.. it's actually Jazz/Blues.

One of the best mass produced pickups ever made, imo... perfectly balanced and pretty much a defacto standard.

EtherForBreakfast said:
Funny thing about the JB. Everyone thinks it is the Jeff Beck pickup.. it's actually Jazz/Blues.

One of the best mass produced pickups ever made, imo... perfectly balanced and pretty much a defacto standard.

Man for all these years I thought it was Jeff Beck. Weird!

EtherForBreakfast said:
Hehehe. Ass Ripper.

You recorded the first VTT album??? I was not aware of that. Also not aware that you recorded the guitars for Dali's... That's pretty impressive.

I went out for dinner with the Vigier/Salwender folks 2 years ago over NAMM weekend, some sketchy Mexican place in Orange County. You ain't even experienced ass ripping until bad Mexican food rapes your internals haha

Well... the story supposedly was that it WAS called the Jeff Beck forever, but, since they never officially had the "ok" from Jeff to say that, they covered their asses by saying "no no no... it was jazz/blues, never Jeff Beck..."

So, who knows... I tend to believe that... sounds like the kind of lame cover up a big company would use =P

J

EtherForBreakfast said:

It IS actually Jeff Beck. Seymour made a Tele with humbuckers for Jeff Beck and put a JB in the bridge. JM in the neck. Jeff Beck and John Milner(which I think is just a random guy, not even a musician). But because Seymour doesn't want to use Jeff Beck name without paying any royalties it goes under Jazz Blues. JM goes under Jazz Model. The custom shop EVH-brown sound pickup goes under Evenly Voiced Harmonics.