I was wondering what Opeth would sound like if...

nyleve

May 6, 2001
Canada
pub22.ezboard.com
... they had a keyboardist and not just a piano player. Can you imagine the dark heavy riffs and the vocals being complemented by cathedral organ or analog. I think this is the one thing the band is definitely lacking. Everytime they repeat a riff (they usually do it 4 times), it would be so great to see some keyboard improvisation in the foreground. Also, synth choir, strings, and even mellotron would make the music so much more haunting and majestic, even though it already is. But what does everyone thing on the matter?

Hmm... I like them the way they are. Putting in a keyboard every now and then is good at times. The Leper Affinity keyboard at the end reminds me of Travel In Stygian by Iced Earth and that is waaaay cool. But I can't imagine them having a full-time keyboard position. But if they could pull it off like Angel Dust does then it might be really cool.

It's strange though, because I remember reading an interview with Mikael where he said something like `No keyboards! We are a metal band!' (hehe) yet Maiden who dabbled alot with keyboards are one of their main influences. Hm :)

If they did add a keyboard player it would have to be different. I'd rather see a person playing a real piano with them on stage, or something more down to earth. Not a keyboardist with alot of modern digital effects and samples. You know what would fit Opeth's music alot? Maybe a Moog player, someone who uses 70's era synthesizer equipment. Not overused , but enough where you are getting alot of atmosphere. Imagine some elements similiar to Tangerine Dream, or what not . Who know's, maybe that is a bad idea. I think it fits alot better than a more up to date keyboardist with modern equipment. I think they have to keep that organic sound and by keeping closer to the simplest techiniques can they achieve this.

-John "and yes I do own a Moog synthesizer from the late 70's, it's polyphonic though, damn it!)

I take the risk of sounding conservative and say that I really like it the way it is, because they create very brutal and yet sometimes very quiet and beautiful music with a lot of atmosphere and feeling (way, I've written this before...) without useing keyboards. I think it's very easy to stumble into the "this-needs-more-atmosphere-let's-put-in-a-keyboard-trap".
But who am I to tell? If they do it, I'm sure it would be in a good way... but I'm not hopeing for it. (nowdays there are A LOT of bands in the metal genre useing keyboards anyway... some do it good... some do it.. well.. not good)

This whole keyboard theory would destroy the sound . It would be nice if played really low under some of the acoustics , but if they used it all the time then it would take away alot from opeth , I didn't even like the idea of Steve playing a few riffs on the Bwp album , but it turned out pretty good , still not as good as still life

Dimmu Borgir can use heavy keyboards, they're more of a gothicy sounding band (although still black metal). However I think having a church organ blaring through Opeth's sound would sound well - hilarious. I'd probably laugh my ass off if I heard Opeth with a big church organ in the background, no offense. It fits the black metal and gothic sounding bands, but Opeth - I believe not. A real piano however sounds very nice when they use it - and they use it very sparingly. When they do use it though, it's used perfectly.

I can hear it now ... "DEMON... (blaring church organ scale) OF (another scale) THE FALL... (really long church organ chord)"
hmmmmmmm.... It's a step towards my Opeth Electronica Jungle Remix theory, I believe...

I see most of you are not big keyboard fans. In would by no means want to see Opeth use a crunchy hammond -- NO!!! That would sound pretty funny. But using a cathedral organ would make it pretty scary. I think Opeth is a little scared of expanding their own limits. Many times the repetitive riffs, as I mentioned earlier, usually played 4 times each, could use some keyboard improvisation here and there. But I definitely respect all your people's opinions.

Originally posted by nyleve
I see most of you are not big keyboard fans

keybord fan.. well... I have nothing against keyboards. Bands who use keyboards very well are eg. Summoning, Vintersorg, Dimmu and Cradle of Filth.. then I listen to a lot of darkwave and stuff and that's almost 100% keyboards. It's just a question of where you use it. The fact that Opeth are so unique, makes me against keyboards cluttering up there nicely carved masterpiece of sound.

I was to quote the old saying: "never change a winning team". But as Opeth has already proved that phrase wrong (by changing half of their "winning team" after Morningrise), I won't say that.

Anyway, I must say that I don't see any reasons for Opeth to drastically change (or "improve") their sound towards any direction, as they have clearly already found themselves musically. There are examples of bands stagnating to one musical concept and repeating it over and over again, until the band-members themselves get bored of it (often a lot after all the fans have already abandoned the band - exceptions like AC/DC prove the rule), but I can't see Opeth falling prey to such temptations - their sound, although recognisably similar on each album, is still each time so refreshingly "new" and their music so varied and surprising, that there's no fear of Opeth repeating itself to death.

I agree that there are bands that have used keyboards effectively to create _MUSIC_, even bands who have succesfully changed their sound between albums by adding keyboards to where there previously were none (Dark Tranquillity, for example). But, I say, Opeth don't _NEED_ any keyboards - they have enough everything in their music already.

-Villain (np: Dark Tranquillity - Projector)

Originally posted by Hearse
Never! I don't find any affinity in Amorphis an Opeth, exept they both kind a progish, but still!

I am always open minded for new ideas in music, like adding synths in Opeth. I think it wouldn't sound bad, not bad at all, cause they would do it in their own way.

(don't try to imagine, Dimmu synths or Amorphis synths in Opeth, just imagine synths in there) :)

/Hearse

Yes , you have a point , if they do it in there own way , but why change something you love so much , and risk making it sound bad , when you can just leave it the way it is , thats how people ruin things .

Great respect to Opeth for creating nice atmospheres with hardly any keys :D

It's up to them, though, I'll give their new stuff a fair try either way.

mikael told us on this board that there are possibly going to be keyboards on the next album (followed by a gasp)...i'm all for it...something tells me that opeth will do it in a very tastefull way, as they seem to do with all of their music.