"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

You only hear the new fans' praises anymore, all the fans of the older material gave up hope with RRF and aren't even bothered to complain because what we're witnessing is the same thing that happens to every band in their cycle. Art is something where it's relatively easy to perform 90%, but difficulty comes in producing the last 10% of vision that creates the epicness. I don't want to sound like a rude bitch especially as I don't even play any instrument anymore, but despite having its moments this album doesn't open the gateway to my soul like FTR and such albums do.

I read you loud and clear - and I feel this way about quite a few bands too such as Katatonia (1996-2001) and My Dying Bride (1993-1999).

But I think you'll go mad killing yourself over that elusive 10% you mention, much of which is probably based on the time, place and people you were around when you first fell in love with 'Follow The Reaper', which really makes it untouchable regardless of what comes next.

You and I want to feel the way we did back in the day when we discovered these bands and these great moments in our lives, but those days - as beautiful as they were - are gone. Now we have to just enjoy the 90% we get.

Omg I just realized they left the laughter thingy at the end of IWC on the album!! That's not good...

I listened to a speeded up version of Suicide Bomber and this album really needs to be speeded up at least 30% to sound like the thrashy parts of Hatebreeder and even then it's quite repetitive and the songs lack material and solos, especially unisons. Next album has to be FASTER and include UNISON solos to make up for this... those are two very clear distinctions everyone can make. Don't mean to be mean, just constructive criticism, because it's a shame if the true potential doesn't come through.

Damn, the more I listen to this album, the more what I thought to be the weaker songs are growing on me. I'm playing Horns and Widdershins over and over again. They both have this "tension" which really makes me feel the song physically. Like it really takes you to the gut (not sure it's a correct english expression but we say so in French XD ). Didn't expect to feel this way since Horns and Widdershin weren't the best of this album at the beginning (really loved My Bodom and Suicide Bomber).
And it's also nice to see I'm not even slightly bored of this album. I really feel it's the "fresh air" Bodom needed. And those solos, even without unisons, are fucking nice !

Yeah, I don't listen all that much the to songs they released before album. Horns is a great song and Widdershins is just fantastic, but it could have used the chorus a third time.

Well, what of the things I always found bad in general in the music industry it's that people dislike repetitions. But if it was up to me I would play a good riff for one minute non-stop, or even more haha. And what children of bodom did with that awesome riff in the middle of Horns is just epic, it takes half the song's lengt. God, what a pleasure.

Only song I've consciously gone and listened to during the last few months is All for Nothing. Some of the others have come and gone when listening to stuff on shuffle, but I haven't intentionally listened to any other song from the album in months.

I still only really listen to Horns and Suicide Bomber, I like these two very much (since release). Only one I rarely add is the title track actually, which I very much enjoy. Then again, my taste in Bodom is strange :D

All for nothing is a bit weird for me. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it, really depends on the day. Though I always LOVE that part at 2:13.. Like this is pure epicness... It has this "Banned from heaven" after-solo feel. I absolutly love it.

And the title track is pretty nice too actually, that scream at 2:19 really gives me goosebumps everytime and I can't help screaming it along when I'm driving XD

The only song I actually dislike on this album is Prayer of the Afflicted. I really can't get it. And since so many people here seem to love it I really tried, but I guess it's personnal, it just doesn't talk to me.

After 4 months my opinion about that album changes a lot. The first week I was a littlebit impressed, but now I can definitely tell that there are only 4 good things which are worth listening.
1. The chorus in My Bodom (and the bit before)
2. That fucking awesome bridge or whatever it's called in Horns starting at 1:16! That part is probably the best segue from a lame riff into an awesome masterpice Bodom ever made.
3. The chorus in HYT
4. Widdershins

So all in all I can say, IWC is their weakest album. I also hate BD and even if BD is their worst mastered album, it has definitely the better riffs.

What gives me a littlebit headache over the last years is, that Alexis solos are going to be "weak".
The first Bodom song I've ever heard was Warheart in 1999 and I really thought that song was shit until I heard the solo. Then I thought "WTF?!? What's the name of this band? Who's the guitarist??!" Everybody of you knows what follows.
But in 2008 something went wrong. Blooddrunk was released and all solos were shit. Wtf?! What happend to Alexi?! Then RRF came out and I was like "Thank you!" It's one of my favorite albums, the NMF solo is great and the Ugly solo is probably the best solo Alexi ever made.
2013 HOB arrived the sunlight. Awesome album. Probably my favorite. Solid solos, but nothing special. Doesn't matter, because nearly every song is really good or awesome. HOB could be their best album if there were some better solos...
And now there is IWC.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ALEXI?!? WHY CAN'T YOU MAKE AN AWESOME SOLO AGAIN SINCE 5 FUCKING YEARS?!?!?

/OT

Today, I listened to some Norther songs again and tried to play them. Forget it. Tried to play "Break myself away"... forget it. Tried to play the "I hate I bear" Intro... forget it. Tried to play "trough it all".. forget it. Norther is like Sinergy (except the solos)

Last edited:
I so completely agree about that part at 1:16 in Horns and about Ugly which is one of my favorite song of Cob. I was so sure they'd play it for the RRF tour, but no... No ugly :'(

Appart from that I think I quite disagree with you. The solos are indeed awesome in Blooddrunk and RRF but I think they are the weakest albums overall.
IWC just makes me feel like Children of Bodom grew up with me. The more mature I get, the more mature their music gets (well, that's in my opinion of course). But I see the BD/RFF a bit like a teenager crisis in the storyline of CoB's life XD And now they became adult. So sure, it lacks the energy and the freshness of the youth, but you have a more solid and mature music.

But once again, it's my opinion and it's probably shared by very few of you. But eh, fuck it XD

^If you like that section in Horns, don't you like Lamb of God??

This time it was probably just too much of a mission to make a complete Bodom album so Alexi figured he'd just make it slower, repeat parts and leave solos away... that's what it feels like to me anyway. Now I think the title track has actually a scary kataclysm feeling, then there's the nice parts in certain songs, but one nice part in a song just isn't enough when I'm used to hearing great complete songs from this band.

To me it would be more entertaining to have the same amount of musical information on the album but compress it into shorter time so it feels more rich... I really miss the feeling of musical extremity from this style of metal, and if you ain't gonna be fast as shit, you at least need damn good riffs to make up for it...

I'm just saying Alexi needs to take a little distance to see and remember what's great about Bodom, and what truly is Bodom. There needs to exist that hectic speed, epic melodies, dark riffs, an overall horror-vibe. Then there's FTR which doesn't have a horror vibe as much but rather an atmospheric eurodance-metal.

Last edited:
The best solution would be take Alexi by force, throw him into a dark little room while in the back Dark Throne is playing and then punch and torture him and tell him what a little piece of shit he is. Result would be we would have the Alexi from 1997-2001 again.

He just got over that he was a bullied when he was a child.

Sounds rude and cruel, but that's stuff he was made off in that particular time.

But I see the BD/RFF a bit like a teenager crisis in the storyline of CoB's life XD And now they became adult. So sure, it lacks the energy and the freshness of the youth, but you have a more solid and mature music.

I tend to agree with you here. As fun as those early albums are, there is definitely something a bit naive and even unintentionally cartoonish about them that is now gone. I think 'I Worship Chaos' is a grown up album of frustration and anger that really speaks to me in some of my more stressed (adult) moments! For instance, now I consider CoB to be quite a serious, intense band, whereas in the past I found them a bit more... I don't know... imaginary?!

After 4 months my opinion about that album changes a lot. The first week I was a littlebit impressed, but now I can definitely tell that there are only 4 good things which are worth listening.
1. The chorus in My Bodom (and the bit before)
2. That fucking awesome bridge or whatever it's called in Horns starting at 1:16! That part is probably the best segue from a lame riff into an awesome masterpice Bodom ever made.
3. The chorus in HYT
4. Widdershins

Today, I listened to some Norther songs again and tried to play them. Forget it. Tried to play "Break myself away"... forget it. Tried to play the "I hate I bear" Intro... forget it. Tried to play "trough it all".. forget it. Norther is like Sinergy (except the solos)
IMO the riff in Horns at 1:16 is by far the worst part in the song :D I like the verse and chorus riffs though.

What was wrong with the Norther songs?

Well Jonnas. I don't like some Lamb of God, though I really hate the image of the band, for me they are a joke on the metal scene. But you can't take away the fack that there are so really strong and angry riffs in their music.

I'm actually really really fine with the riff repeating thing as long as it's epic riff. I'm so happy that riff in Horns lasts almost half the song XD That really made me jump of joy (or rather anger) while listening to it

What was wrong with the Norther songs?
Nothing's wrong with Norther. The songs are just to hard to play. When I tried the intro of The hate I bear, I got so angry, really had to lay down and count to ten.
But well, if I remember right, I had the same problems with Downfall and Chokehold when I played them the first time.

Nothing's wrong with Norther. The songs are just to hard to play. When I tried the intro of The hate I bear, I got so angry, really had to lay down and count to ten.
But well, if I remember right, I had the same problems with Downfall and Chokehold when I played them the first time.
Damn. That was the impression I got from your post, but I didn't believe it to be possible :D I'll have to see the tabs for those then.