"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Allow me to laugh, but some Oulu newspaper states that IWC is a return to the band's roots. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sorry but they don't deserve this kind of credit. Maybe if it means when they were 4 year old smashing their lego boxes and screaming at their friend for stealing their candy. I really dislike this album and it was a step in the worst direction possible.

I've read several glowing reviews recently that don't make much sense (HOB was a departure-IWC a return to form, etc), but I guess lots of people are liking the new album.

Every album since Blooddrunk has been marketed as "return to the roots" because it's sexy to say that. This is as far from the early albums as it can get. Maybe it gets praised, but by whom. Always remember to be critical of the sources.

I could agree with Arcane, imo RRF was far better than BD, but for me, the top "modern Bodom" album is HOB, I usually listen to it nowadays, whereas the two before 2013.

I am starting to think that this album was Alexi's social experiment...to see if his fans are still those who listen to his music, or only chicks who are wet when they see him. Because how else can you explain this shift in sound after Halo Of Blood, which was at least recognizible as a Bodom album...Is it possible that he really lost inspiration? I mean, I am 90% sure he doesn't listen to metal anymore, since all he wants for last 4 years or so is to make "A good rock song". He puts swag clothes and hats all the time, spends more time in LA than in Finland, talks like he casted as a one off character in Californication, and btw he has a new girlfriend now who looks like a witch literally (lol Morrigan) :rofl: Someone pass the man some rum or the ship will drown pretty soon. COB is becoming a band for teenagers who masturbate on the idea of cutting themselves with plastic knives, with their image and looks as their main appeal. Somehow the music got lost along with the dissapearance of the pineapples from their tour riders...

Read the Metalhammer interview about IWC. All your answers are there, no reason to fantasize about what led to IWC being what it is.

Massively great album. I wasn't sure about the yellow album cover until I saw it projected as a backdrop at a concert (in Melbourne, Australia with Megadeth). The fully projected image look awesome. It gave a real effect of desolation with the grim reaper standing their. I thought it looked really inspiring to the imagination. As for the songs and music, again awesome, very creative and in many places hard as fuck. Its the mind of music I prefer to listen to in the car before I attend management meetings, fills me with power!!

Great album guys.

Joe.

CHILDREN OF BODOM (aka COB) are set to release their ninth studio album, I Worship Chaos, worldwide on October 2, 2015 via Nuclear Blast Records. The artwork was created by Finnish artist Tuomas Korpi (http://tuomaskorpi.com/) which is attached below.
COB frontman, guitarist, and mastermind Alexi Laiho commented on the new album: “We are close to putting the finishing touches on the new COB record I Worship Chaos and as much fun (but most importantly raw, literally bloody knuckled hard work) it has been making it, I’m more than happy and even more anxious to share this chaos with the rest of the world. So people, put your shades and helmets on, it will get very dark and it might hurt, in a perfect COB fashion of course!”
Returning to Finland’s Danger Johnny Studios (located at a top secret, undisclosed location in Helsinki) to record I Worship Chaos, the album was produced by COB and Mikko Karmila, who worked with the band on their earlier albums Halo Of Blood, Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper and Hate Crew Deathroll. The album was mixed and mastered at Finnvox Studios in Helsinki, Finland.
COB is set to embark on a momentous worldwide trek in support of I Worship Chaos. Stay tuned for more details.
Below is the track listing for I WORSHIP CHAOS:
01. iHurt
02. My Bodom (I Am The Only One)
03. Morrigan
04. Horns
05. Prayer For The Afflicted
06. I Worship Chaos
07. Hold Your Tongue
08. Suicide Bomber
09. All for Nothing
10. Widdershins
*The deluxe version of I Worship Chaos will include bonus tracks

z4N50UU.jpg

I came here to praise the album too. I love the intense sound of it - I think the production is great and the riffs are catchy. It's certainly different from those early Bodom albums like 'Follow the Reaper' which are highly polished ear candy and are great albums - classics even. But 'I Worship Chaos' is very good in a slightly different sense, without being a million miles away from their roots.

I thought in general the band became bland, flat and needlessly angsty after the wonderful 'Hatecrew Deathroll' and I really wasn't impressed with what I heard with subsequent releases. The last Bodom album I actually bothered to buy since 'Hatecrew' was 'Relentless, Reckless, Forever' which I regret because it was really quite weak and made up of a lot of filler. For some reason it also felt rushed and distracted.

In contrast, the tunes on 'I Worship Chaos' seem full of a lot of bitterness and anger that come across really well (for once) and I just think it fits. The riffs have some depth and consideration to them, too, like a bit of earnest care has been applied for a change.

I haven't heard 'Halo of Blood' - maybe I should give it a spin. I really only bought 'I Worship Chaos' on a whim. Glad I did; it's a bit of angry fun and I'm really enjoying it.

Reactions: Joe90
Well, sounds like COB managed to convey to some just what they intended. Glad folks are liking it. And yes, get Halo of Blood, it's very good.

I've been listening to the new album a lot as I really like it, and it led me to go back and re-live some of the older ones too. I've just been reading parts of this thread (which is huge by the way!) and I can't believe how much disappointment/resentment there is directed at the new album. It might a little different here and there, as it's been over 10 years since 'Follow the Reaper' but it still feels very Children of Bodom to these ears.

I reckon some of you Bodom obsessives would feel a lot better by just accepting the album for what it is rather than trying to cram it into your Bodom imaginations.

Not trying to tell people how to feel, but jeez there's a lot of negative energy pushed towards something that's still in the ballpark if you ask me.

You only hear the new fans' praises anymore, all the fans of the older material gave up hope with RRF and aren't even bothered to complain because what we're witnessing is the same thing that happens to every band in their cycle. Art is something where it's relatively easy to perform 90%, but difficulty comes in producing the last 10% of vision that creates the epicness. I don't want to sound like a rude bitch especially as I don't even play any instrument anymore, but despite having its moments this album doesn't open the gateway to my soul like FTR and such albums do.

Last edited: