"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

The only good things are not any overly trashy riffs that they've used for half of their albums now. And keyboards are not that prominent. It's what takes it back to the old albums. But that god awfull spikey thin, overly treble midragy guitar tone.......Alexi, make a new signature humbucker please!! One with a little more body and fullness! That HZ-H2 can go to hell! Solo is underwelming at best.... also not recorded well and not mastered well at all... I actually think 100% off all metal albums since 2005 are recorded poorly. Thank you pro tools! You suck! :fu:

The only good things are not any overly trashy riffs that they've used for half of their albums now. And keyboards are not that prominent. It's what takes it back to the old albums. But that god awfull spikey thin, overly treble midragy guitar tone.......Alexi, make a new signature humbucker please!! One with a little more body and fullness! That HZ-H2 can go to hell! Solo is underwelming at best.... also not recorded well and not mastered well at all... I actually think 100% off all metal albums since 2005 are recorded poorly. Thank you pro tools! You suck! :fu:

Well it's better than what bands like Turisas and Ensiferum decided to do. Seriously? "We want a live sound on our album" ... but ... why? Live sound is shit sound. Turisas2013 and Unsung Heroes are probably the two albums with the worst sound I've ever heard in anything released since the 90's. Ensiferum's new album is better sound wise (The songs are better too IMO) but I still don't like the the sounds too much. The guitars are fine, but the hi-hat on the drums is far too loud. Turisas is even worse. I can get a better guitar tone with my home "studio" and I don't even record from an amp, I use free amp emulators downloaded from the internet.

I'm sure it's the album's slowest track so brace yourself for more thrash riffage :kickass:

^Nah, fuck the thrash riffing. And I hope there are even slower tracks that benefit from the drop B.

This track is genious and I truly hope this style carries thru the whole album and the thrash riffing shit is long gone. Why? Because it's atmosphereless. This is the way to approach good music: epicness first. Remember the complaints are coming mostly from guitar geeks who claim Silent Night, Bodom Night is boring. Everyone's allowed to have an opinion of course.

Today we celebrate this fantastic return to epicness. I hope the song's dark feeling is in other songs too.

Well it's better than what bands like Turisas and Ensiferum decided to do. Seriously? "We want a live sound on our album" ... but ... why? Live sound is shit sound. Turisas2013 and Unsung Heroes are probably the two albums with the worst sound I've ever heard in anything released since the 90's. Ensiferum's new album is better sound wise (The songs are better too IMO) but I still don't like the the sounds too much. The guitars are fine, but the hi-hat on the drums is far too loud. Turisas is even worse. I can get a better guitar tone with my home "studio" and I don't even record from an amp, I use free amp emulators downloaded from the internet.

that turisas album indeed sounded bad. Could someone give examples of good metal albums production/mixing/tonewhatever wise? I'm not that picky but I thought the latest Sylosis album sounds pretty good.

I really lik the song but his guitar sound has no balls, I don't that it has to be dj0nt but somehow it needs just a bit more balls, but that's just my opinion. Only I think the solo is a bit, what could I say....., If he wanted to finish the song as fast as possible and his first thought was "blues scale? yep, that suits everytime".

Why is he so crushed to this blues scale? He is able to pla such awesome things but he plays always this fucking retard bluesscale, where is the point?

that turisas album indeed sounded bad. Could someone give examples of good metal albums production/mixing/tonewhatever wise? I'm not that picky but I thought the latest Sylosis album sounds pretty good.

Most of them sound good, no? I mean good producers make good sound. Good sound for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFEey2kq_U8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aaWHaJy104 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuhvVF0mZwg
Even dirty muddy oldschool sound can be mixed well and tasty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuszzYGQqWY
Notably Eric Rutan and Dan Swano never disappoint as producers.
ps: how could I forget the most tight sounding band ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Td8FXlOIo

I really lik the song but his guitar sound has no balls, I don't that it has to be dj0nt but somehow it needs just a bit more balls, but that's just my opinion. Only I think the solo is a bit, what could I say....., If he wanted to finish the song as fast as possible and his first thought was "blues scale? yep, that suits everytime".

Why is he so crushed to this blues scale? He is able to pla such awesome things but he plays always this fucking retard bluesscale, where is the point?

bluesscale retard?
035.gif
no you

^Nah, fuck the thrash riffing. And I hope there are even slower tracks that benefit from the drop B.

This track is genious and I truly hope this style carries thru the whole album and the thrash riffing shit is long gone. Why? Because it's atmosphereless. This is the way to approach good music: epicness first. Remember the complaints are coming mostly from guitar geeks who claim Silent Night, Bodom Night is boring. Everyone's allowed to have an opinion of course.

Today we celebrate this fantastic return to epicness. I hope the song's dark feeling is in other songs too.

I don't really know how someone can say SnBn is bad or boring. It's THE COB song. If someone that has never heard of COB came to me asking what do they sound like, I would play probably SnBn to them first. It's the song defining bodom at it's greatest pretty well.

There is very little blues scale in that solo to my ear. Atleast compared to Alexi's usual solos. I hear like one or two licks at max that uses blues scale notes.

ps. By the way, does anyone else get ''mask of sanity'' kind of vibe from the part that starts at 0:30?

Most of them sound good, no? I mean good producers make good sound. Good sound for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFEey2kq_U8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aaWHaJy104 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuhvVF0mZwg
Even dirty muddy oldschool sound can be mixed well and tasty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuszzYGQqWY
Notably Eric Rutan and Dan Swano never disappoint as producers.
ps: how could I forget the most tight sounding band ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Td8FXlOIo

yeah those sounded good! I agree that most sound good, but since I don't really focus on the tone that much, other than it's audible and not mush, I second-guessed myself because of the notions on the tone/mixing of this cob track. So I just wanted verification I guess, that I'm not deaf (yet).

I don't really know how someone can say SnBn is bad or boring. It's THE COB song. If someone that has never heard of COB came to me asking what do they sound like, I would play probably SnBn to them first. It's the song defining bodom at it's greatest pretty well.

This. One of my schoolmates who listens to nothing else but Finnish rap these days was at my house few weeks back and I was casually playing SNBN with guitar and out of fucking nowhere he asked "Hey is that CoB?". I found it pretty funny that he recognized the song.

After a couple more listens, still think that besides the chorus the song is nothing special... which is probably why they submitted it for that NB promo thingie. One thing I do like is the overall tone of the song: everything has it's place, it's not overly compressed, the guitars have (imo) the best tone since T,L&S, and are utterly clear even though it's drop B. Also, this song kind of needs it, but I'm curious if the rest of the album will still have drop B or if the'll stay on drop C and D standard.

Are you listening it at 240 or something? Unless you want Bodom to go with Meshugah-like tones, which probably wouldn't fit anyways, I don't think you can /need to go "harder", if that's what you mean by "balls".

Death metal, melodic or other, productions have been absolute crap for a long time. And thanks to Andy Sneap and his copycats it's just getting worse. European producers as a whole seem to be pretty bad, Germans in particular (how is that they can't manage to give Heaven Shall Burn a kickass sound???).

The idea of sounding live on an album is not a bad one in itself. How many fans the world over never get to see their favorite bands live and have to put up with artificial, sterile sounding albums. A distorted guitar should sound like a distorted guitar. A snare drum shouldn't sound like hitting a piece of paper, and cymbals, well, if you can't hear them, then what's the point of having them. Not to mention the poor bass that producers have no idea what to do with and apparently neither do players. Obituary does this best, getting a recorded sound similar to a live sound.

Some enjoyable productions: Slayer-South of Heaven, Slayer-Seasons in the Abyss, Eluveitie-Slania, Psycroptic-Ob(Servant), most Scott Burns productions of early Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Suffocation,etc. And the sad thing is that nu-metal has a crushing sound.

My final verdict is that it is a very good song. Not great, but not lousy either. The only problem I have with it is the lick that goes from 0:30-1:14. It's too dull, simple, boring, and high pitched for the song. It's a good transition lick but not to underpin a long strophe. It's more tolerable when it makes a shorter appearance later.

The point of songs like these (and Transference) and of releasing them first is to broaden the appeal of COB not to please us old-timers. It's an accessible song, and unlike Transference, I can see Morrigan being a good live song for the audience to jump to. Since they already released this, I imagine there is another accessible song that will become the video single. Transference wasn't at all exemplary for the album Halo of Blood, so perhaps Morrigan and the possible upcoming video single isn't either.

I actually enjoy Andy Sneap's production and think a lot of his work sounds great.

Exodus: Exhibit A / Exhibit B
Megadeth: Endgame
Testament: Formation of Damnation

All Sneap albums that I think sound fantastic in addition to be awesome musically.

Sure, even Sneap has fans, but mostly detractors and with all the work he for some reason gets, some of it must be decent.

It's not easy though, if you like a band and an album to maintain the distance necessary to judge the production somewhat objectively.

Well not what I was expecting really - hopefully it'll grow on me. But it seems... Boring to me.
And I'm surprised some people say it is better than HoB stuff, that album is fantastic and it stayed between the greatest for me despite the time passed... I guess I should come here more often, maybe I wouldn't be so surprised;)

After 20 listens i ve got to give a comment about Morrigan.

In the first listen i didnt recorgnise it as Bodom, i was blown by the soundworld and epic goldish atmosphere. i always tought that Bodom will never go back to that dominant keyboard atmosphere over their songs.

[Putt Joonas hat] Morrigan takes me to the deepest land of deads where there was a deadly battle of skull dragons during an endless day..

[pull Joonas hat] the song is technically simple and catchy, the chorus is a bodom trademark and solo is perfectly writen over that riff (i don't agree with people who disliked this solo).
Drop B thing reminds old school Bodom. i can hear clearly influences from bands like Hypocrisy, Catamenia..

Conclusion : i would give the song a 9 from 10 because i needed to hear a lead melody on that epic chorus. I'm looking forward to see a music video of the song, and see them play the song as an outro of the set list.