"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Hold your Tongue has a fcking nice intro of drums and I love it, but is not COB style at all, seems like a cover.

Thanks for the early up, no guilt, bought the album twice, one for collection to keep sealed, one for the car.

Love every song but cannot get into Hold Your Tongue, really feels like a cover of a cocky song as quote said. Not really bodom style. Notable highlights is Widdershins and My Bodom, songs really get me going off the first listen. Love the atmosphere in Suicide Bomber, and Morrigan. While I Hurt leaves a bit of a Sixpounder taste, it it still a solid opener. Prayer and All for Nothing get the goose bumps going, kind of a rainy/snowy day coupled with a drink songs. IWC is your typical live set stick, fast, aggressive but at the end lackluster. Didn't quite get what Hors is all about, definitely needs more listens to get into as it seems a solid song.

Solid album, but I do think cob needs to take a brake from the ~2.5-3 year album cycle and come back in force.

Well, I agree with the general consensus here. I, too, believe that this album is full of good of ideas but the execution is rather poor. I agree with jurgens' comment above in regards to 'All for Nothing', nice idea overall but the execution needed more thought on the orchestration, especially the end which seems like a jam section to me. Other songs like 'I Hurt' and the title track, that seemed to many of us poorer as singles, work better in the context of the album, and I can say they are quite enjoyable although nothing really special. Furthermore, I think this is a decent effort by the band but it needed a tad more thought on simple details, and how the riffs connect with one another; feels quite disjointed in parts. 'Suicide Bomber' is by far the best song on the album, I can't get enough for it. It's dark, melodic and so driving!

Lyrically, it's same old Bodom, not that good (sometimes silly) but that's to be expected and they suit the mood of the album and the attitude of the band. Sonically, it sounds great, nice job on the production (as always).

To me this album is somewhere on par with Relentless Reckless Forever and it's a pity because Halo of Blood was amazing and had renewed our hopes for the band. Best songs on the album, for me, are: 'Suicide Bomber', 'Horns', 'Prayer for the Afflicted' and 'Morrigan'. And the worst are definitely the last too, though they are not really filler material; every song features at least on good section in it, with more work by they band they could've have turned out a lot better. - 6/10.

For me Horns wannabe a HoB II., but it's just weird.. bunch of riffs thrown together, It couldn't make that blackish atmosphere imo. All for nothing is different (not in the homosexual way:tickled:), but not bad.
What have really grown on me is Hold your tongue, with it's kind of "happy" atmosphere (I couldn't even describe it better in Hungarian...:D) and with it's happy solos, although you say it's not Bodom, I've found it a bit old schoolish. Prayer, it has good melodies and everything, but just couldn't catch my ears...:confused: Widdershnis is good old schoolsih, but the coreish end proves, the fact, that this album was made for the overseas fans. MoT cover is better than the original and at first I couldn't catch the Danger Zone, but then, I listened to it with earphones and I heard better the keyboards and everything, all in all nice one.

and.. I Worship Chaos is still a dance song for me:devil:
Just watch, you will agree with me after you saw this video.

Yeah it's an edited video, but I can imagine IWC as the new Just Dance exclusive song, it has just a danceable verse rhythm :danceboy:

Last edited by a moderator:
All opinions are after a single time of listening (except for I Hurt, IWC, Morrigan and Suicide Bomber).

I Hurt: Haven't changed my opinion. Uneventful opener. Just a bad song for any band.

My Bodom: Verses are bland. Every time you think the song does something different, it stays the same. Keyboard solo is short but good. Chorus is the best part of the song, but again it needs something to let it stand out more. The breakdown isn't even groovy or aggressive. Although it gets better when the guitar solo starts playing. Not sure if the melody over the singing at the end fits though. Still not a bad song. Mediocre at best though.

Morrigan: When I first heard it, I absolutely hated this song. Now I like it a lot more. Maybe because the other songs have been even worse (except for Suicide Bomber) but this is just a decent song. Although every single time I think the song should end it is just past the 3 minute mark. 3:30 or at most 4 minutes would have been better.

Horns: At the intro I already think this is a song that requires multiple spins to get. Some of the better drumming on the album so far. A better sort of aggression, more similar to HoB. Sounds like Bodom which is a good thing. Again a good keyboard solo, fitting to the song. Nothing out of this world though. Interesting to see what I'll think after listening to this song more than once.

Prayer For the Afflicted: Unique intro as far as Bodom is concerned. The slower songs usually are some of the better songs, but this is too slow and meh. This really takes way too long. Cut 2 minutes and the song is identical but doesn't waste as much time. The solo is pretty good but seems to be cut short for some reason. The slower solo definitely fits the song and honestly we could use more of that. Still, zzzzzzzzzz.

I Worship Chaos: The intro promises plenty. And then it's just .. there. As are way too many songs on this album. Some good ideas but they never commit to them. Copy paste riffing. Keyboard solo is the best part of the song but I don't want to sit through the rest of the song just for that.

Hold Your Tongue: I don't know about this one. They try for something more casual, which is fine. But I don't see the appeal. Even if I go into my 'not Bodom but regular band' mindset, it doesn't connect to me. Keyboard solo, good but by now we've heard the same thing enough. Like the melody at the end there. But meh. Again. Meh.

Suicide Bomber: This is by far the best song so far. Sure, the verses are bland again but for some reason this time it does work. I don't know why. Maybe because the whole song structure fits together nicely, keeping up the tempo. Love the solo at the end there. Just a great song overall.

All For Nothing: Wow, okay. They didn't lie about it being something completely different. The whispering.. eh.. They did it better on DMHOY. I don't know what is up with this song but for some strange reason it works? Sometimes the simpler riffs are the best option. That change at around 2:22 though.. come on, the song was good. I know you need variation to keep a longer song interesting but this isn't the way. Luckily it's only for around 30 seconds. Love the guitar/keyboard solo. It's long and has a perfect atmosphere. Best part by a long shot, and worth waiting for.

Widdershins:
Hey look at that, a solo within the first minute. That's a nice change. Verses aren't inspiring but fit the song. Pretty good song. Nothing else to add to that. That is until we hit the 3:30 mark. We knew this song had that breakdown but shit. I am half tempted to just go into Audacity and cut it at 3:30. Keeps the song decent.

Covers:
They're there. Always nice that they do it and honestly none of them are half bad. It's not something I buy the album for though. Or will take into account when ranking the album.

Well then. Interesting album. Some hits. Way more misses. I'm not going to rank it after only one spin, but apart from Suicide Bomber, Morrigan and parts of Prayer and All For Nothing it's nothing special.
There are plenty of ideas on here and plenty of opportunities to let the songs grow into something more than what they are now. I don't really care that the verses are bland if the rest of the song makes it more special. Add a bit more variation in the drumming and the rhytmn guitar. Play with timings. Whatever. I'm no musician. But for some reason Alexi doesn't nail it this time around either. And he is a gifted musician.

As always, opinions can change once I've heard the songs more often. But for now: it's there. Don't know what else to say.

After listening to everything 5x I think suicide bomber is my favorite song.

For 95% of this album I'm hearing it and I'm thinking this is cool, but it doesn't wanna make me head bang and I don't get lost in it. When you tell me to think of an old COB song the first thing I think of is its main melody. This rhythm based COB is cool but not great.

Alexi needs a personal pain in the ass during his writing process, cause this music aint angry.

Oh well, the good thing about these songs are that they're usually more fun to play.

I think the end of Widdershins is about a diver drowning. I saw a video like that once, filmed from the diver's helmet cam when he sank for some reason.

So many In Flames influences. It's barely Bodom anymore. Horns is the only song with the sense of speed we had on the old stuff, while only Prayer and Morrigan and Suicide have the atmosphere element.

Yay, I forgot to add, My Bodom has potentials, I really like the ending melody although it's a bit Turmion Kätilöt-ish and Danger Zone needs more "Yewyaw!" and maybe some jokes like "Yew-yaw into the danger zone" etc :p
Hold your tongue's intro has just taken from In your face, no one recognized that?!:yow:

Btw, where's mrs. Bodom I haven't saw her for weeks, hope wasn't taken by the refugees:eek: Or is she on the highway to the the danger zo-o-one?!! *Janne keyboard sparkling effects*

The best on the album are clearly Jannes Keyboard parts. The Drums are also good, but not as awesome as the keyboards. They really reminded me of the old days.
But the guitars are well, the worst. So mainstreamish. I mean for core music ok, but breakdowns are in my opinion the most unmusicial thing in music.
A mix of HOB's Guitars and I Worship Chaos' Keyboards would be the best album.

I think the end of Widdershins is about a diver drowning. I saw a video like that once, filmed from the diver's helmet cam when he sank for some reason.

So many In Flames influences. It's barely Bodom anymore. Horns is the only song with the sense of speed we had on the old stuff, while only Prayer and Morrigan and Suicide have the atmosphere element.

Now talking about the famous "Atmosphere", i think that widdershins "looks" like you're wandering greenish forest all alone in a quite cold and misty summer morning :D And to add, there are also many pair of red eyes stalking at you from the shadows. And when ending breakdown starts, this protagonist knows that he has come to an end.

Uh... when I heard I Hurt (lol) and the title song, I almost wanted to never listen to this album. Of course I listened to it. I can totally relate to Joonas' songs rating.

The album seems to me, how we say in Czech, "tailored with a hot needle". Some ideas are good but it is just not enough. Imho the album tries to please everyone.. It tries to head to too many different directions and then the overall concept is failing miserably. The only thing positive about new songs is that they could work live, but CoBs gigs are so boring (for me) that I cannot appreciate this fact.

Also.. as a guitarist. I hate the lead tone.. and expected more interesting guitar solos. :( (Only Horns solo is pretty cool tbh).

On the other hand, Janne's work and sound is wonderful as always.

But CoB is not my fav. band for quite some time, and I kinda expected this result, so fortunately I can move on.

Now talking about the famous "Atmosphere", i think that widdershins "looks" like you're wandering greenish forest all alone in a quite cold and misty summer morning :D And to add, there are also many pair of red eyes stalking at you from the shadows. And when ending breakdown starts, this protagonist knows that he has come to an end.

Atmosphere, well... to me Widdershins sounds red (with some 'watery' keyboards), I see someone rolling down to a fiery volcano, trying to hold on to crumbling rocks, with a friend desperately trying to help, but having to let go. I like the part after 1:47.

Horns is really quite cool and potential track, the intro section reminds me of a wild sandstorm that seals your breath and vision. The song is like the angry little brother of Bodom Beach Terror, with similar energy but having to work extra hard to get noticed.

My initial reaction has been rather negative over the album, but I'll let it melt so I can process it and then come up with eventual conclusions.

I listened the album earlier today and I was pretty disappointed. I prayed that the Danger Zone cover would save the album but even that was shit. Gotta listen it again tomorrow or later today.

I'll wait for 320 or the CD.

So, for those who've heard it, is this album a LOG copy? Does it lack good solos, melodies, stratosphere, and all the stuff you folks were whining about?

I'll wait for 320 or the CD.

So, for those who've heard it, is this album a LOG copy? Does it lack good solos, melodies, stratosphere, and all the stuff you folks were whining about?

Yep, it does. It's not bad at all, it has potential, but the thingis. On every spot where a typical melody or lead or whatnot should follow, there follows a shitty breakdown.