Ibanez Dilemma

ProgRÿche

Male v.1.01
Dec 23, 2003
Denmark
www.alkoteam.dk
I'm going to buy myself a new guitar soon, since my current isn't living up to my expectations anymore.

So, right now, I have two choices, as I see it - The Ibanez SA160QM and the RG170DX. It's hard, since I haven't really tried any of them, although I'll be testing the SA160QM during january..

I mean, the RG170DX has a 24-fret Wizard II-neck.. That's enough to by it almost instantly, but.. The SA160QM's pickups should be somewhat better..

Someone, give me a hint on what to get.. In case you have some personal experience, or just happen to know what you are talking about.

ProgRÿche said:
I'm going to buy myself a new guitar soon, since my current isn't living up to my expectations anymore.

So, right now, I have two choices, as I see it - The Ibanez SA160QM and the RG170DX. It's hard, since I haven't really tried any of them, although I'll be testing the SA160QM during january..

I mean, the RG170DX has a 24-fret Wizard II-neck.. That's enough to by it almost instantly, but.. The SA160QM's pickups should be somewhat better..

Someone, give me a hint on what to get.. In case you have some personal experience, or just happen to know what you are talking about.

no no, dont get a ibanez!! I own 2 of them, and I got so sick of them after only 3 years!! 1 rg470l and a old (1989) rg550l custom. The only good thing about Ibanez is the old origional maple wizard necks (NOT the wizard 2) and the old Floyd lo-pro trems. besides that, there boards with string on them. My 550 is actually ok, it has a very heavy body, made with real wood, good solid tone. the 470 is a piece of fuckin plywood..even with over 100 bucks of good pickups, its still kinda crappy.
so, Unless your gonna drop the bling on a high end prestege or Jem (I would kill for a old FP777), it really isnt worth it IMO. I would also suggest checkin reviews at harmony central. Basically Ibanez went to shit after they got bought out.

Take a serious look at Jacksons, you can get a nice used one on ebay for around the same price as a SA160QM. not only do they look better, but they sound better, and have a higher standard of quality at the factorys (they ALL go thru the company in Cali, from the lowest $200 japans to the $4000 custom shops, all set up and looked over by the same people). The necks are very similar to the wizard 2, where as ESP's are a bit fatter...

Try ESP's too, I was gonna get a ESP but got kinda turned off when I heard they were made in Korea, not Japan. Japan has much higher quality standards. My Jackson dealer actually told me about this, and he is also a huge ESP dealer too, he could have pimped a more expensive ESP on me, but he was just being honest.

but of course, when it really comes down to it, play what feals the best to you...shit, try Ernie balls/music man, Carvins, b.c rich, Gibson/Epiphone..etc...you never know unless you try it...

also, BTW Cacophony did Speed metal symphony, not Vai...

Divine Wings Of Tragedy said:
well you can always change the pickups later, but if i were you i would save up more and get a higher end RG(you will be more satisfied with one of the 5xx or up models)

what he said

Thanks everyone for your replies. :)

My budget lies somewhere around $800-830, so I won't be able to really access the high-end RG's, although some of them are pretty nice.. I have been looking at some stuff from Jacksons, and I'm pretty impressed with both the looks and whatnot, at my range. I mean, take a look at the KE3..

Buut.. Any ideas on what I could get, in that price range?

Geez, who was I to know that I could get better stuff than that? :p

Well, I can get the KE3 new from the shop at around $667.. And since that's all national and stuff, I think I'd get it from there, if's worth it, that is. (I'm starting to become rather annoyed about the fact that the city I live in doesn't have a decent shop.. Which means I won't be able to try it..)..

Although, I could get the DK2 and the DK2FS at the price of $834.. The DK2 with the EDS-finish (Which I am sort of a sucker for, I have to admit)..

So many guitars.. So little money..

your kidding, right Divine, my god, for a little more you can get a Paul Gilbert model, which would eat that RG for lunch......

Dont be annoyed with it, Prog, I live in Mass, I had to special order my jackson from drumcityguitarland, which is in Colorado..and they had to specially order my Jackson from the plant in Cali..its the price I pay for a translucent blue flame top..
The Eriee Dess finish is cool..but so isnt the flames, and skull pile...

I SO dig that finish.. I'm getting more or less afraid though, because I fear that they have put the wrong price on it, on the site I order from.. The DK2 is cheaper with the EDS-finish, than the one with the solid black finish..

Oh dear God, I want EDS... *Turns towards east - Prays*

ProgRÿche said:
I SO dig that finish.. I'm getting more or less afraid though, because I fear that they have put the wrong price on it, on the site I order from.. The DK2 is cheaper with the EDS-finish, than the one with the solid black finish..

Oh dear God, I want EDS... *Turns towards east - Prays*

what site did you order this from? it is possable that they are overstocked with EDS DK-2 and are looking to sell them fast..

It's from some danish site, the best I have encountered so far - The one I bought my currently outplayed guitar from. Could be, could be.. Well, I'll have the money by the 1st of february, I hope.. Just gotta sell my old one, to get the last bits..

ProgRÿche said:
It's from some danish site, the best I have encountered so far - The one I bought my currently outplayed guitar from. Could be, could be.. Well, I'll have the money by the 1st of february, I hope.. Just gotta sell my old one, to get the last bits..

oh shit, I didnt even realize you were outside of the US..my bad..the prices must be jacked up outside the US, what are you looking at paying for a DK-2? I payed $480 for my trans blue DK-2L but then again, it is a bit high since its a lefty..

RobbM said:
oh shit, I didnt even realize you were outside of the US..my bad..the prices must be jacked up outside the US, what are you looking at paying for a DK-2? I payed $480 for my trans blue DK-2L but then again, it is a bit high since its a lefty..

Lol, don't worry.. Could be because of the fact that I didn't put it in my profile before late this afternoon. ;)

Well, the DK2 EDS is at $835.754 (God how I love XE.com),but so is the DK2FS in solid black.. the DK2 in trans-amber at the same price of the KE3..

I should change the topic title to "Jackson Dilemma".. Geez..

ProgRÿche said:
Lol, don't worry.. Could be because of the fact that I didn't put it in my profile before late this afternoon. ;)

Well, the DK2 EDS is at $835.754 (God how I love XE.com),but so is the DK2FS in solid black.. the DK2 in trans-amber at the same price of the KE3..

I should change the topic title to "Jackson Dilemma".. Geez..

if you can pay in $US money, and dont mind a few weeks shipping time, definatly check out drumcityguitarland.com. If you e-mail jason he will e-mail you back within 24 hours usually with all your prices and questions, really nice guy.. Im sure the EDS DK-2 is under $600. But, who knows, I may be wrong, and im not 100% on if he ships outside the US or not..

Robb - only the LTDs are Korean made. ESPs are Japanese. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend saving up an extra 200 or so and going for an M-II. I have one and it is the most godly playing guitar I have ever played. Standard ESP guitars are THE SAME QUALITY as their custom shop, not many companies can say that (especially not Ibanez). So yeah, Im a huge ESP advocate :D.

Yngvai X said:
Robb - only the LTDs are Korean made. ESPs are Japanese. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend saving up an extra 200 or so and going for an M-II. I have one and it is the most godly playing guitar I have ever played. Standard ESP guitars are THE SAME QUALITY as their custom shop, not many companies can say that (especially not Ibanez). So yeah, Im a huge ESP advocate :D.

For his price range he could pritty much only get a LTD..and yeah, I was talking about the LTD's...the old maple neck style (NOT the HSS pickup model) m-ll's do kick ass,The low end model (KH-2 not KH-202) Kirk model is very similar to the old m-2's but who the hell wants to play a guitar with his name on it.. Along with the early George Lynch (gotta love those paint jobs, along with Petrucci's ibanez picassos) models..

the newer ibanez models are an improvement over the past few years. Given your price range i would say check out the rg1570 and the rg1620x. The 1620x comes with a piezo which is a definate plus. No matter what ibanez oyu get (unless its a jem or the rg3120) be prepared to change pickups.

Meedleyx10 said:
the newer ibanez models are an improvement over the past few years. Given your price range i would say check out the rg1570 and the rg1620x. The 1620x comes with a piezo which is a definate plus. No matter what ibanez oyu get (unless its a jem or the rg3120) be prepared to change pickups.

what really pisses me off about ibanez is that they have like whole other line of guitars only available in Japan...not to mention ther custom shop is closed (at least from what I hear)

RobbM said:
what really pisses me off about ibanez is that they have like whole other line of guitars only available in Japan...not to mention ther custom shop is closed (at least from what I hear)

aww man i totally agree. The people in japan and europe have some amazing ibanezes available to them that will probably never see productoin for america. SUch as the rg2820 and the rg8527 It would be awesome if the had a custom shop open to the public.