Ibanez RG852LW Prestige 8-String

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I just ordered this off zzounds and got approved for the 8 payment plan. 1500 bucks USD. By far the most expensive guitar I have ever owned. I can't wait until I can try it out. I was going to get the TAM10 instead but decided to go for this one because of it being a prestige and having locking tuners. It also looks nicer to me. The passive pickups and coil tapping can be added later. Which passive set would you prefer? I think I am going to go with a Nazgul/Sentient set. How much do you think it'll cost to have the guitar switched from actives to passives? I am going to have a luthier do it and also set it up. The guitar comes with a .065 for the low F! I am going to replace it with a 74 or 80.

DV016_Jpg_Large_1389714412166_A.jpg

yeah the nazgul/sentient has an active size version that looks just like the emgs except with poles.

I love Ibanez for recognizing the appeal of a low profile bridge on a hardtail. When you get used to low profile bridges (which many do via playing floaters), it's a bit hard to play tune-o-matic guitars.

Yeah but then you're stuck with those pickups. Kind of a letdown IMO, I don't like Duncan humbuckers.

Not sure what you mean by this? Just swap the pickups out for something else if you don't like them. SD will exchange them for another model if you're not satisfied with them. If you go past that date, the guys over at SS.org will buy them up in a heartbeat.

Edit: Just thought of something, though. That guitar might not have a hole drilled for the bridge ground. You might need to drill that hole if Ibanez didn't do it from the factory. Either way, you'll need to ground the bridge if you go passive. No clue what luthiers charge since I do work myself.

Not sure what you mean by this? Just swap the pickups out for something else if you don't like them. SD will exchange them out for another model if you're not satisfied with them. If you go past that date, the guys over at SS.org will buy them up in a heartbeat.

Duncan are the ones who make the active-sized passives. I don't like any Duncan humbuckers. Ergo I don't like any stock active-sized passives.

I love Ibanez for recognizing the appeal of a low profile bridge on a hardtail. When you get used to low profile bridges (which many do via playing floaters), it's a bit hard to play tune-o-matic guitars.
Agreed.

Kinda sucks that they're sticking the cheaper Chinese-made bridges on Prestiges, though. The cosmo black finish is more delicate and less maintenance-free on those compared to Gotoh, and it doesn't quite match the shade of the cosmo stuff on the rest of the Gotoh hardware, but that's just me nitpicking. :D

I've had the 7 string version of this for a few days. Came loaded with Dimazio PAF 7s which I'm okay with, I want a 7 dedicated to cleans. Not sure how they'll go. I'm still fairly undecided about the whole guitar at this stage. I've not had time to restring and fine tune the setup to my own taste, after this I'll have a better idea.

The finish is not as cool as I had hoped. It's flawless, that's not what I mean, it's far less organic looking than I expected. Maybe over time it will be less plastic looking. The neck and fretwork is really good.

@Rex Rocker - Actually this bridge, although Ibanez stock, seems a lot better than the previous Gibraltar (I think that's what they're called) bridges. It doesn't have the weird high sharp edge on it, and it seems like better quality than before.

I want a really versatile guitar. That's why I want the passive PUs with coil splitting. How nice of a guitar would you say this is? Do you regret buying yours?

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to be so extreme, lol. I've got an RGA121 with the Gibraltar Plus or whatever bridge. Definitely not made by Gotoh. On the plus side, functionally, it's fantastic. Uber-mega-comfy and ergonomic and easy to restring. I'm just sayin' I recommend you to wipe yours down every time after playing the guitar to get the most life out of that finish. Congrats on the new guitar, BTW. :D

haha thanks. I wasn't really being serious anyways. THanks for letting me know. I can't wait until it arrives. It's supposed to today!

I want a really versatile guitar. That's why I want the passive PUs with coil splitting. How nice of a guitar would you say this is? Do you regret buying yours?

No, I don't regret it. If you're an Ibanez fan then you won't either. The neck and fretwork is awesome.

Aesthetically it's not what I had hoped. The flat finish and the stain on the back don't very natural. After giving it a good clean it looks better.

It's funny, I want a really versitle guitar as well, but coming from completely the other end of the colour spectrum. I want clean passive sounds, something to fill the gaps in my other guitars, something I can grab when I need a thin crystalline sound.

Check out the switch configuration at the bottom and you'll see how this guitar could fit the bill
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...4&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=155&color=CL01

Well I got it today. First thing I noticed is that the strings were cut so close to the locking tuners that you can't really even put the strings back on if they come off. I unscrewed the locking tuners to check them out and the high e string came off and I couldn't put it back on because it was cut so damn short. Another big thing is that the low F locking tuner screw is messed up. It seems like something is bend in it or something. The locking screw is crooked. It holds the string and everything but the locking screw cap isn't flush on the screw and it looks wobbly when you screw it tight or loose. I am having trouble describing it but there really does seem something wrong. I don't know if it is something that can be fixed or not. I would hate to return it for something like that.

One thing I noticed that I am surprised about is the strings don't feel to loose even though the set is a really light gauge. .065 for the low F! and 54 for the Bb. I am surprised they feel okay. I might actually keep the string gauges which is a bonus because now I don't have to set the guitar up. The neck is so nice on it and it is brighter and snappier sounding than my Schecter C8.

Could someone help me out with the locking tuners. Is there something I should know about them. I never owned a guitar with them. How do they work exactly? Do they keep the guitar in tune much better? Also, how do you stretch the strings out with them? When I streched the strings out (pulled the string up perpendicular to the fretboard and pressed down on it to really strech it out), the string came off (again this is also because the strings were cut so damn short). Any info on the tuners would be appreciated. Also I would appreciate any insight on the faulty locking screw that I mentioned. I'll post pics tomorrow. I need to get a new .009 high e and a .054 low Bb tomorrow since they both came off the damn guitar!