Ibanez RG852LW Prestige 8-String

I put in a request to return it. That along with the buzzing is enough to not want it. I think I am just going to get a different guitar. I am just requesting a money back refund and then maybe get the S5528LW. It is a bit more (2000 instead of 1500) but comes stock with passives which is what I planned on doing to this guitar anyways. The cost of converting this guitar to passives and buying the passive pickups would come out to be about the same as the price difference between the guitars anyways. Either that or i'll wait a month until the TAM10 guitar arrives and just get that although that isn't a prestige model.

The strings are supposed to be cut that short. you put them through the peg, pull as tight as possible, lock them, and cut them short. You're pulling way too hard when stretching and you should be holding it down near the nut when you do that anyways.

how tight are the locking screws supposed to be? Do I screw them super tight or just snug?

thanks guys. HOw much would you say locking tuners keep it in tune as opposed to regular tuners? ALso, is it normal for a guitar to have some fret buzz? There always seems to be a little buzz on the lower strings

90% of tuning issues today are at the nut, not at the tuners. Locking tuners are more for convenience when stringing more than anything else. Those who have had tuning issues fixed thanks to locking tuners usually had them fixed due to post height differences because of a poorly cut nut, they didn't know how to properly wrap non-locking tuners, or they had extremely shitty stock ones.

Fret buzz is only an issue if it appears through the amp.

Fret buzz can be an issue if it's choking the tone, too.

As far as locking tuners holding tune better, it's true but mostly because you've got less string to stretch/slip around the tuning peg.

I don't mind a little fret buzz at all, just as long as it doesn't get in the way of like hearing the actual note. A tiny bit of buzz here and there is just plain inevitable if you want low action.

… then again, I don't know if it's because my Prestige is a brighter-sounding guitar which accentuates attack and whatnot, but it definitely buzzes a tiny bit more than my non-Prestige Japanese RG570 with the action set the same. Both buzz A LOT LESS than other guitars I've had. I don't hear it through the amp, though, so it's all the same to me.

Then again, it could also just be that your guitar saw climate changes and with the shipping and whatnot, it just needs a setup.