Ibanez v. ESP v. Jackson

anconar

New Metal Member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Visit site
I am looking to buy a new guitar for my son, and I don't know too much about guitars, so I am graciously asking for help. He says he likes Ibanez, ESP and Jackson. Now my first question is what is the difference between LTD and ESP? I was looking on the internet and found models for each company, but don't know the price. What I saw on the internet and thought he'd like were:

Ibanez RGT 42
Jackson DK2S Dinky
ESP MII Standard

Now, could any of you please tell me how much these cost? I'm looking to spend $800 tops, so if these are over that, could you PLEASE give me some ideas from the 3 companies listed above? Thanks in advance to everyone!

The difference between esp and ltd are:ESP's are much higher quality then ltd's
esp are made in japan carefuuly while ltds are made in korea.generally what you have to know is esps are better than ltds but there are good ltds too .
all of these componies are great and make similar guitars my favourite is esp mıı ı have one its very very wellmade but they cost $1100.
ıbanez rgt42 costs 660,Jackson dk2 costs:500.
your limit is 800 so there are better guitars of same kind.
Ibanez RG 1620X($740) is a good one for that price range imo.
http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-RG1620X-i90320.music

soulshred said:
The difference between esp and ltd are:ESP's are much higher quality then ltd's
esp are made in japan carefuuly while ltds are made in korea.generally what you have to know is esps are better than ltds but there are good ltds too .
all of these componies are great and make similar guitars my favourite is esp mıı ı have one its very very wellmade but they cost $1100.
ıbanez rgt42 costs 660,Jackson dk2 costs:500.
your limit is 800 so there are better guitars of same kind.
Ibanez RG 1620X($740) is a good one for that price range imo.
http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-RG1620X-i90320.music

Thanks for your input! More opinions, please!

anconar said:
Thanks for your input! More opinions, please!
The RG1620 is a very solid guitar! I have an RG520(the precursor to the 1520, the precursor to the 1620) and it's a very nice guitar.

more options:
ESP /LTD Kirk Hamme602 $899 http://www.music123.com/ESP-KH-602-i98210.music
check out jackson dinkys. and also if you are considering buying used guitars
Ibanez Jems(steve vai signutures)
esp MII
and Jackson USA soloist3: http://www.music123.com/Jackson-SL3-Electric-Guitar-i71164.music.
($999) this one rocks.

these are the only options ı can thinkof but there are lots of people in this forum who kows much more then me about guişitars so ı am sure more options will come upsoon.

The common thread with all these brands is that you are never guarenteed a guitar that plays really well. It varies a lot from guitar to guitar. I'd suggest going on ebay and trying to grab a few cheap steals that if you hate how they play you can resell. neck through is always good if you can pull it off. Ibanez's should have maple necks, and all access neck joints.

How old is your son? How long has he played for? Are you really willing to pay almost a grand for something he might put under the bed in a few months and forget about? Of course, he might be a Prodigy I dont know.

In the hands of a child you might want to think about getting a solid guitar that would stand up to the abuse that hes gonna dish out while playing with it. Dings, nicks scrapes bumps even the occasional fall. I would probably avoid the Floyd Rose tremolos since they are a pain even to change the strings and we all know if hes still learning, he will be breaking strings..a lot...

The only guitar that I can think of that could stand up to tons of abuse, plays and looks great, Increase in value over time and will continue to be a sweet guitar 20+ years down the road for him would be a nice American Stratocaster. And its right in your price range. Its the Highest quality guitar your gonna get in your price range and they come with a limited lifetime warranty..which is always good..

@RobbM - :err: Dude, I had a giutar with a trem and I didn't break much more strings than I do now with my hardtail.

p.s. I don't think trems are good thing for yer' first guitar either.

RobbM said:
How old is your son? How long has he played for? Are you really willing to pay almost a grand for something he might put under the bed in a few months and forget about? Of course, he might be a Prodigy I dont know.

In the hands of a child you might want to think about getting a solid guitar that would stand up to the abuse that hes gonna dish out while playing with it. Dings, nicks scrapes bumps even the occasional fall. I would probably avoid the Floyd Rose tremolos since they are a pain even to change the strings and we all know if hes still learning, he will be breaking strings..a lot...

The only guitar that I can think of that could stand up to tons of abuse, plays and looks great, Increase in value over time and will continue to be a sweet guitar 20+ years down the road for him would be a nice American Stratocaster. And its right in your price range. Its the Highest quality guitar your gonna get in your price range and they come with a limited lifetime warranty..which is always good..

My son is 20 yrs old and has been playing for roughly 3 years. He has an Ibanez RG220 now and wants another guitar, but is unsure on which of the three companies I listed provides the highest value and quality for a $600-$800 price range.

Don't even consider LTD, I have what is probably the most expensive one and it is crap compared to the standard line. It's like buying a KIA Amanti instead of a base BMW 325i.
The KIA (LTD) may have "features" but the build quality and the drive (or playability) is crap compared to the BMW (ESP Standard Series).

But out of those three, I would get the ESP MII Standard series, no question.
Get some good duncans or dimarzios and you'll be a very happy camper.

the MII is far past there price range new ($1100+) Used you might find one. Since hes used to the super thin necks Ibanez has I would suggest either the Prestege line of guitars Ibanez makes, or Jackson. The Prestege line is by far Ibanez's higest quality mid priced guitars your gonna find, without breaking into the Jems which are well above $1500 new, eccept the 555 which is just a 450 with a pritty dress on it, and I dont even think they make the 555's anymore anyways, thank god....

I've been playing for 8 years and I currently own a post hoshino rg450 (late 90's model) and a 89' custom rg 550. and just by picking them up, you can tell the quality has really dimminished after Hoshino bought them out. oh, and Ibanez only has a one year very limited warranty on new guitars.
I also own a Jackson DK2 which is currently my favorite guitar. Although the Electronics arnt the greatest, its a real solid guitar with a super great neck and great looks, with tone to match. and for under $500 its a bargain. My transition from Ibanez to Jackson was over in a few hours, the neck on jacksons are very close to Ibanez's as far as thinkness although there is a larger heel joint. The fretwork is just as good of not better, with the bound fretboard and sharks teeth inlays. Looking at the work on the Japan Jacksons, I can only imagine the quality on a USA model..

He should go check out some music stores, play all the guitars he can get his hands on, from Jacksons, to Strats to everything in between. Make a day out of it. Bring a notebook and write down the guitars he liked the most, and do some online research and pricing.
He needs to know that what matters most isnt quality, price or whats "Popular" in Guitar world magazine or what his favorite bands play, its what feels best in his hands and fingers..I think of it as why choose only the Nike, Reebok and Adidas's when theres tons of other shoes out there that fit just as good...

Im gonna have to go with ibanez on this one......ive been liking them a lot more lately just because they make the best production line seven strings, have good quality instruments...i like like the Edge bridge a little better than Floyd rose, and once you put nice pickups in it you are set......and they are very cheap compared ot the other two. I personally dont care for esps because of the necks. Jacksons are great guitars....their import models are good from time to time....every now and then you find a good one (like my KVX10)......but they are the first company i will go to when i look into getting my custom made and the USA custom models are amazing (sl2h)

Let your son choose what he likes best when he tests out a few in various music shops. Picking another person's guitar is like trying to guess what another person is exactly thinking, its pretty much impossible to get the right one.
Personally I think Floyd Rose or other similar bridges are shit....so much technical wang wang just to change a string and set up a guitar, so you can just whammy up and down more frequently, but thats just me. Im sure alot of people here disagree.

Hey Guys
I think a really great guitar for your son would be the SLSMG soloist from
Jackson. It looks very cool, it very high quality and is I believe about
899 dollars NEW.

It doesnt have any stupid floyds on it, just string through body, with
EMG HZ pickups in it. It has mahogany body and neck, with an ebony
fretboard and it's black. Something cool too is that even though
it's mahogany, this is a super light weight guitar. It's really awesome.
I think it will be the best deal by far.

Check it out at music 123.

Later

YII

I am not brand loyal, but Peavey has made leaps and bounds in their guitars. They are making some of the finest instruments money can buy now and at a reasonable cost.

As far as the three brands you mentioned, I am more familiar with Ibanez. I actually own a low-end model Korean made Ibanez, but I couldn't be happier with the guitar. I bought it for practically nothing and play it more than my other guitars.

Bryant