ICARUS WITCH for PP

By "not ready" I mean from a draw standpoint, not talent at all, and yeah Malison Rogue isn't there either, but who knows? In the end Glenn knows the marketplace better than anyone and I wouldn't second guess him. As for Arch Matheos, they sold out the Webster Theater in May, and I think they would draw well as PPUSA is their target audience, but in the end, if Glenn doesn't like them, they don't get booked.

Ah, now it makes sense.

I didn't realize Arch Matheos had sold out the Webster. That's awesome. Then again, if Fates did it in that fateful excruciatingly hot night, where it felt like I was hanging out in Mordor, then I'm not that surprised...

But to be fair, my one opportunity to see Widow was in front of 20 people in NYC on a Tuesday night as a part of a package tour. So it's probably not the best barometer to measure their drawing power, plus, I've got a ton of albums to review and I haven't heard the new Icarus Witch or the latest Widow album so perhaps I would feel differently once I did.

This too. You really can't judge by that show. If you had made it to NY last Saturday, however... :lol:

And yes, do yourself a favor and listen to the new Widow and the new Witch. They rock!

There are bands all over the U.S. that are just as good and in some cases better than any imports. And some times the chances of seeing those bands is just as slim as x Euro band; um... Solitude Aeturnus comes to mind. I would say this would have been the case with Sanctuary.
Ok let's stop this before it goes any further.
So what about the idea of Warlord at Progpower? I never see them talked about in this form but cannot deny they would not fit the bill, and they just happen to be another U.S. band that there will probably not be much more of a chance to see them in the U.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncv5lNCicrU

Warlord was just confirmed as headliner at the April 2013 Keep it True festival in Germany. I got lucky since I will be there... :hotjump:...anyway, it seems they might be releasing a new album and planning some touring...MARK ZONDER!

Warlord was just confirmed as headliner at the April 2013 Keep it True festival in Germany. I got lucky since I will be there... :hotjump:...anyway, it seems they might be releasing a new album and planning some touring...MARK ZONDER!

they are doing a new album but I highly doubt doing much touring. From what I heard it was tough to get them for the one show.

So what about the idea of Warlord at Progpower? I never see them talked about in this form but cannot deny they would not fit the bill, and they just happen to be another U.S. band that there will probably not be much more of a chance to see them in the U.S.

If I'm not mistaken, you can count the total number of Warlord shows over the life of the band on one hand. Can't get much more exclusive than that.

They've recently been announced as the Saturday headliner of the Keep It True festival in April 2013, and are supposed to have a new album out in 2013. Booking them would present a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Warlord fans to see them live.

I would definitely rather see what Widow could do with an opening slot over Icarus Witch.

I love Widow, as it goes without saying, but i do think it might be hard to fill a stage with just 3 people. Freak Kitchen and Communic while great did haven't much stage presence. I love all three bands i am talking about here too. As far as filling a big stage and movement across it. :)

I think Matt's original point was lost in the shuffle, but I absolutely agree that the new and improved Icarus Witch would go over well as an opener. No they're not from Europe and no they're not going to draw new people, but is that really expected of an opening band? They'd add a different musical aspect to the overall fest, and put on a hell of a show. That and they'd be a cheap addition.

And as much as I love Widow, they're a band that's best experienced in a club on a small stage. It would just be weird seeing them on that huge stage.

I'm not stupid, I realize U.S. bands have played the festival still there feels like there is often a second glance to U.S. bands over Euro bands. Regardless if there is or not that just is the way it looks at times.
And I love to read the "they won't draw" or they are not ready" comments about bands; first of all it is a festival, toss must of those bands out on their own and see what they draw (with the obvious exceptions). The fest draws nit the bands; meaning that collectively it is drawing. And bands who are not ready yet well it is not MSG or Carnegie Hall (not a slam on the fest there) but seriously those bands play clubs just like Widow when they aren't on fests (most of them).
But agreed Widow are better in a smaller place but that is not saying they could not handle it on a bigger stage.

I had heard the rumors it was happening, well guess that is were I'm going next year then. HOA has Demon and really want to do that as well.
As for U.S. those Ragnarokkr guys announced Oz and I don't see anything in the U.S. topping that for me unless it is Warlord or a Heavy Load reunion.

Sorry, Matt, but Haken, Illusion Suite, and Circus Maximus were all opening acts for the last three ProgPower events, and they were all great. Nonetheless, I agree with you that Icarus Witch deserves a shot at this festival.

Though I'm aware that Glenn hasn't shunned all American acts from playing, I'm all for seeing more of them. However, I think that one of the problems with booking U.S. bands is that a great number of the veteran acts expect to be paid handsomely when they simply don't have the drawing power to justify the price tag. That said, there are certainly plenty of terrific American bands that have emerged in the last decade or so who would gladly take an opening slot for peanuts. A lot of these bands don't regularly tour, so it wouldn't take the exclusivity factor away.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Sorry, Matt, but Haken, Illusion Suite, and Circus Maximus were all opening acts for the last three ProgPower events, and they were all great. Nonetheless, I agree with you that Icarus Witch deserves a shot at this festival.

Though I'm aware that Glenn hasn't shunned all American acts from playing, I'm all for seeing more of them. However, I think that one of the problems with booking U.S. bands is that a great number of the veteran acts expect to be paid handsomely when they simply don't have the drawing power to justify the price tag. That said, there are certainly plenty of terrific American bands that have emerged in the last decade or so who would gladly take an opening slot for peanuts. A lot of these bands don't regularly tour, so it wouldn't take the exclusivity factor away.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Circus Maximus was an opener? And recently? When was this? I thought they had a higher billing both times they played.

they are doing a new album but I highly doubt doing much touring. From what I heard it was tough to get them for the one show.

They never really toured much, but in this case, I know Bill Tsamis has a lot of health problems, as does his wife. So at this point in time, touring is very risky for him.

And yes, there is a new album in the works. And I am beyond delighted about this.