Iced Earth are playing Wacken this year

caex

May 15, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
ICED EARTH is the latest act confirmed for Wacken Open Air 2007 (www.wacken.com). scheduled for August 2nd - 4th in Wacken, Germany.

MAn, this is going to be the best Wacken I've been to. I've only gone the past two years and each one has been amazing.

Rest of lineup for those who don't know:

AMORPHIS
BELPHEGOR
BENEDICTUM
THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER
BLACK MAJESTY
BLIND GUARDIAN
BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE
CANNIBAL CORPSE
CHTHONIC
COMMUNIC
DESTRUCTION
DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER
DIMMU BORGIR
DIR EN GREY
DISILLUSION
ENSLAVED
FALCONER
GRAVE DIGGER
HAGGARD
HEAVEN SHALL BURN
ICED EARTH
IMMORTAL
IN FLAMES
J.B.O.
KAMPFAR
LACUNA COIL
LETZTE INSTANZ
LORDI
MENDEED
MOONSORROW
MOONSPELL
MUNICIPAL WASTE
NAPALM DEATH
NARZISS
NEAERA
NORTHER
RAGE & LINGUA MORTIS ORCHESTER
SACRED REICH
SAMAEL
SAXON
SCHANDMAUL
SODOM
SONIC SYNDICATE
THE SORROW
STORMWARRIOR (featuring GAMMA RAY's Kai Hansen)
STRATOVARIUS
SWALLOW THE SUN
THE VISION BLEAK
THERION
TYR
UNHEILIG
VADER
VOLBEAT

I really need to win the lottery.

Edit: Actually, I need to start PLAYING the lottery. Hard to win if you're not ;P.

Yeah .. no doubt !! Hopefully the last handful of announced bands will be bands of similar stature.

Britt

That list already has 3 of my 5 favourite bands. Just needs to add Kamelot for the 4th. I don't think all 5 is possible as it's not likely Nightwish would play that kind of show right away with the new singer.
Also has a bunch of other bands I just recently got into like Tyr & Swallow the Sun.

That list already has 3 of my 5 favourite bands. Just needs to add Kamelot for the 4th. I don't think all 5 is possible as it's not likely Nightwish would play that kind of show right away with the new singer.
Also has a bunch of other bands I just recently got into like Tyr & Swallow the Sun.
There have been 54 bands announced, and there is only one (Iced Earth) that I would rank among my 10 favorite bands of the past 10 years or so.

I do however have at least some interest in seeing lots of bands on the list, but I would not call myself a huge fan of any of them. They would be the following.

Amorphis, Benedictum, Black Majesty, Blind Guardian, Communic, Falconer, Grave Digger, Lacuna Coil, In Flames, Moonsorrow, Rage w/the Orchestra, Saxon, Therion, and Tyr.

Britt

Has anyone else thought about the Demons & Wizards possibilities with BG and Iced Earth playing the same festival together for the first time in a long, long, while? I hope they bust out some new material at the festival too, and that they have enough of a time slot to do it in. The size of the Bullet For My Valentine logo on the Wacken poster has given me a bit of a fright.

On a related note, this lineup contains a lot of things I'm really interested in seeing:

Blind Guardian, Communic, Disillusion, Iced Earth, Rage + Orchestra, Stormwarrior + Kai Hansen, Stratovarius, Therion...and I plan on checking out some of the other bands before the festival too, it's truly a great lineup.

Zod, was mentioning the possibilities of a Demons & Wizards thingy in a recent email, so it must have been on his mind as well. If it happens .. awesome .. I'm not going to get my hopes up though.

Britt

There have been 54 bands announced, and there is only one (Iced Earth) that I would rank among my 10 favorite bands of the past 10 years or so.
I'm curious to see at what point the line up will be considered complete. Last year, there were 56 bands. They're damn close to that number now. However, they were still announcing (big) bands with regularity into May. In 2005 and 2004 there were 65 and 62 bands respectively. So, how many more bands will be added is anyone's guess.

Zod, was mentioning the possibilities of a Demons & Wizards thingy in a recent email, so it must have been on his mind as well. If it happens .. awesome .. I'm not going to get my hopes up though.
I think DarkOne had that little tid bit. I recall Jon saying that he and Hansi would like to do a D&W show, but the timing has never been right. This would seem to present them with the perfect opportunity.

Zod

Anyone that's been there before. What are your impressions of the fest. Having never been to an open air fest (Summerfest in Milwaukee would be the closest I've ever come) I'm curious how it all works. There are multiple stages, right? Are there bands playing on multiple stages at the same time? You just wander around from area to area? How are the crowds? Friendly?

Anyone that's been there before. What are your impressions of the fest. Having never been to an open air fest (Summerfest in Milwaukee would be the closest I've ever come) I'm curious how it all works. There are multiple stages, right? Are there bands playing on multiple stages at the same time? You just wander around from area to area? How are the crowds? Friendly?

Having been there the past two years, I can answer for you.

Wacken has 4 main stages for bands: Black Metal Stage, True Metal Stage, Party Stage, WET stage. Bands play like this:

One band on true metal stage with one on Wet stage
then one band on Black Metal stage and one on Party Stage and on the Wet Stage.

Wet stage is in a Tent and has a perfect name because it gets hot in the tent during bands.

Stages aren't very far away from each other, Black and True metal stages are next to each other, Party stage is a little ways left of the True metal stage, and the Wet stage is off to the left and down from True Metal Stage.

As for the crowd, they are polite, and will answer questions if you ask them. Both times I've been I stayed with at the camp for Snakenet Metal Radio so that I knew some people there. So, crowds are pretty friendly, never had any trouble there from the crowds.

I think Dark One had that little tid bit.

Fixed :loco:

General Zod said:
I recall Jon saying that he and Hansi would like to do a D&W show, but the timing has never been right. This would seem to present them with the perfect opportunity.

My actual prediction, is that rather than a full set, one or the other will join the other's band on stage for a few D & W tunes. I think that actually would be the perfect way to incorporate their songs.

Jason