Iced Earth - Dystopia

*is shocked*
Well it doesn't touch everyone's special spots so no biggy. :D
The box set should be arriving this week. It'd better since I paid out the ass for it.

I hope all goes well for Stucifer during the tour and he isn't egged off the stage or anything. Hopefully people embrace him like the perfect fit for Iced Earth that he could very well be.

So the album's been released, I got my box set, the album is fucking great, Stu is the singer for Iced Earth and I hope he stays in the band and puts up with Jon for many years to come. :kickass:

Here's a great interview too:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna see 'em next Thursday, curious to hear how Stu will bring the older material. I'm actually quite confident that he'll do a good job on it. I caught them this summer with Barlow on tour and that was an awesome show, Matt absolutely nailed it from beginning to end. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Stu compares.

As for the new album, haven't checked it out yet, not really excited about it. I said back in 2007 or whenever it was that it got out that Barlow was returning to Iced Earth, that it was gonna take more than a good singer to save IE from poor songwriting, and The Crucible of Man kind of proved that point for me. So with that in mind I don't really have high hopes for the new album. I think Stu is a perfect fit for IE, but Jon's songwriting has evolved over the years in a direction that I don't really like; the music just doesn't do anything for me. That's a matter of personal preference, of course. In any case, I'll check out the new album just so I'm kind of familiar with the songs when I go see 'em next week (downloading now). Who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised. But I'm not counting on it.

Great picture here, along with the rest of the new lineup pics on their [his] website.
ie_photo_4_0.jpg

And here's the video for the title track...

Last edited by a moderator:
Then prepare to be shocked...I'm not feelin' this album at all, and that's the first IE album I can say that about. Stu's vox are OK, but the songwriting feels very bland :(
6 songs into the first listen of this album now and I have to agree with Iced Dog. I'm definitely not feeling this album. It's all very very "meh". It's not Stu's voice, I don't think I would have liked it much better with Matt on vocals.

Oh well, hopefully they'll play a lot of older stuff tomorrow. Not likely, I know.

Hm, I quite like this album. To me, it's definitely the best one since Horror Show. And though I love the albums with Matt (except Crucible), also on those albums are quite some songs that I often skip. Same with Dystopia. Currently my favorites are: Dark City, Dystopia, Anthem, Boiling Point and V. The ballads and the last songs on the album are not as good though.

And I agree with you all, Stu's vocals are not to blame. I really like his darker voice and to me his middle-ranged voice suits Iced Earth much better Ripper's voice.

I hope that this line-up will last for more than just a few months, maybe the songwriting will also get better then. Dystopia to me is a step forward and there are some really nice riffs that let me hope for more in the future.

PS: Obsolum, I hope you'll enjoy the show tomorrow.

This is the setlist they've been playing the last few nights.

Dystopia
Burning Times
Angel's Holocaust
Slave to the Dark
V,
Stand Alone
When the Night Falls
Damien
Dark City
Pure Evil
Anguish of Youth
My Own Savior
Anthem
Declaration Day
Days of Rage
Tragedy and Triumph
Dantes Inferno
Iced Earth

On November 1st's show in Amsterdam they swapped Anguish of Youth with End of Innocence.