Iced Earth - Dystopia

Jack Nippleson
May 13, 2007
Doesn't come out here in the States until tomorrow, yet I found the collector's edition at Best Buy on Saturday! Came with a sticker and a fold-out poster of the album artwork.

Gotta say, this is an impressive album. I really, really disliked their last two albums - the concept was boring, there wasn't enough fast music, the guitars sounded extremely thin and weak, and everything was just... dull, in my opinion. Glorious Burden wasn't all that great either.

But Dystopia... the music is finally heavy again, and it's fast - back to the Iced Earth I knew ages ago! Stu Block is an incredible vocalist, a friend of mine described him as a 'vocal chameleon' and he totally is - he sounds exactly like Ripper Owens when he hits the high notes, but the rest of the time he sounds like Matt Barlow! If I didn't know Barlow had left the band, I could've easily been fooled into thinking he was still singing for them.

The title track is great, the song Anthem is good too, and there's a song on the special edition I have called Soylent Green that's not bad either :lol: Needs some more spins to digest the rest of the music but wow, I'm impressed - and thank god, too, because I had nearly lost all hope in the band!

Just got it through the post, so haven't heard it yet

However, already pleased as punch due to a mistake by the company I got it from. They've sent me the limited edition deluxe box set version (extended version of the album, belt buckle, lighter, wristband, patch, buttons, beer coaster) when I ordered just the extended CD version

Got all of the above for £8.99, while the version they sent me is selling for £44.99 (which I never would have splashed out for)

Just got it through the post, so haven't heard it yet

However, already pleased as punch due to a mistake by the company I got it from. They've sent me the limited edition deluxe box set version (extended version of the album, belt buckle, lighter, wristband, patch, buttons, beer coaster) when I ordered just the extended CD version

Got all of the above for £8.99, while the version they sent me is selling for £44.99 (which I never would have splashed out for)

Lucky bugger!

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

I do like this album. Very much. Some cracking and well-thought out songs in there. I only wish the guitars deviated from rhythm into lead more. I don't think there's half as much soloing going on in this album as there should be. Stu does sound great though. I look forward to another few dozen spins today :)

Iced Earth will be recording a show for CD/DVD in Cyprus in June

In addition, Freddie Vidales has left the band (with plans to retire from music) and been replaced by Luke Appleton (current bassist in FuryUK, who toured with Iced Earth around Europe)