Iced earth - Dystopia (2011)

Djöfull

Jan 27, 2002
Iceland
I am eager to know what tha peepz @ NM forum thinkz. Anyway, I think the two songs that can be heard below are pretty good, I hope there are better ones on the album though.

Stu is a good choice for a singer and I think he has a bit of Barlow and Ripper in him. I must confess I never really got into him in Into eternity, I thought the contrast of the voices he used were a bit too extreme although I had followed the band and liked them. Jon makes use of his mid range voice.. which is good for me.
Dystopia:
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-iced-earth-debut-new-song-dystopia.html#disqus_thread

Anthem:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard Block sing Dante's Inferno, and honestly, while he's a good vocalist and has some massive shoes to fil, he's gotta cut down on the overacting. At times I found myself groaning and thinking, "you're really trying too hard to sound badass, Stu."

Something Wicked was the last one I ever really listened to steadily as well. I love Barlow's vocals on everything he's contributed, and Ripper did awesome in his own right. But maybe it's just that Jon isn't branching out enough? I agree that they've become a bit stagnant. Good for a listen here and there, won't ever give up the few albums I own, but not something I'll really pursue either. And is this an invite to revive the Nevermore vs. Iced Earth thread?

eh, song's pretty good. nothing spectacular, just Iced Earth being Iced Earth. might get the record when it's out.

This. I'll buy the record cuz I love the band, but it sounds like an extension of the last two albums and I'm ready to move away from that. Dude's voice doesn't bother me, which was a big worry. And I loved the remake of Dante's Inferno.

<-- Happy IE fan for now.

This. I'll buy the record cuz I love the band, but it sounds like an extension of the last two albums and I'm ready to move away from that. Dude's voice doesn't bother me, which was a big worry. And I loved the remake of Dante's Inferno.

<-- Happy IE fan for now.

Did you only listen to Anthem? Try the link for Dystopia - the thrashy, galloping riffs are back... :headbang:

He's really going for a Barlow. (not that I blam him)

Horror Show fucking rules. I'd advise all you who say Something Wicked was the last you checked out to look into it. Jack, Dracula, Damien, Wolf... Classics! :kickass:

Iced earth's self titled up to Horror Show was good metal. A crucial band to get into for the time. They were pretty important like Nevermore, Control Denied and Death were...now it's just...boring crap. I think a huge part of it for me is that his riffs don't seem as heavy as they used to. They don't have that bite to them like the old records had. And I dug the gallop riffing. Plus each song was composed very well and it the melodies were strong. Each record had some sort of passion that breathed in the music which the records from The Glorious Burden and onward don't have.