ICED EARTH NAMES NEW VOCALIST, ANNOUNCES EUROPEAN LEG OF MASSIVE WORLD TOUR

I love Into Eternity and Stu, but I think he is too close to Ripper in regards to being too much of a high-range singer.

Stu just doesn't have the low end that Barlow does.

The last time I saw IE and IE (Into Eternity opened for Iced Earth), it was one of the worst sounding shows I've ever heard.

I'm very on the fence with this... I definitely see some potential, but I guess I'll just have to wait and hear how it comes out. I'd like to listen to some of the Iced Earth songs he recorded to get the gig.

I remember thinking the guy had some pipes when I saw Into Eternity open for Symphony X a few years back. I honestly don't see why this couldn't work...interesting choice for sure!

~Brian~

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stu has a lot of clean vocal range and he is going to add a whole new dimension to Iced Earth. This new album is going to absolutely kick ass!!! From this moment on the metal world is on notice ICED EARTH IS COMING!!!

Really??? Where do these people all of the sudden come from when these announcements are made? :rolleyes: Do you have a Beiber fever too little guy?

~Brian~

You ma be right. There's something about him that would suggest he's a diamond in the rough. Seems that he has a world of talent. Still, replacing Barlow AND Ripper... and needing to handle both eras? I'm not sure any singer has ever had a tougher task in front of them.
The key is going to be patience. If Stu has the patience to listen to Jon's suggestions, the partnership will work. But, Jon cannot come off as a total douche about it if he is trying to make Stu better. Doing that will make everything go back to square one. Remember, Jon told a former frontman to get singing lessons to control his voice, and the guy quit on him. So, the patience needs to go both ways. The question is if they have time for patience.

I could see this working if they play a lot Stormrider material, and if they record new material with him, return to that style somewhat.

I wouldn't complain at all.

This was sort of my thinking at first too that his vocal style fits the Stormrider way of things. However, I have a feeling they won't go back to that style currently as I believe I remember Jon saying he doesn't want to do the really fast stuff anymore. Maybe he's changed his tune though.

I'll be honest, I'm not exactly thrilled with this. He does have some pipes, but something about his delivery just doesn't click with me.

I hadn't really heard of Into Eternity before this announcement, I must confess. However, after a bit of searching on youtube to check out the guy's pipes, I think he'll do a pretty good job. It might take him a little time to get the hang of some of the true classics - he's got a hell of a legacy to live up to - but I think he's a pretty good choice of vocalist for Iced Earth. I'm definitely keen to check out the forthcoming new album.

you will have to deal with the harsh vocals until the magic happens around :47ish

1-I did not see this coming, but it makes perfect sense.
2-This guy is REALLY good live, at least when I saw them with Iced Earth. Reminds me of Lars a bit of Manticora on stage. Its deffinitally going to make IE stage show moAr awesome!
3-I assume all of into eternity's stuff was recorded on a budget smaller than an Iced one. I had a chance to talk to Jim at morrisound over the weekend at their BBq and he said he was already scheduled to at least track vocals, and mix the record here in tampa. SO it will be AMAZING to see what Stu sounds like on a much bigger budgetted record! and especialy if jim is in charge of it, and on their new SSL!

Last edited by a moderator:
2-This guy is REALLY good live, at least when I saw them with Iced Earth. Reminds me of Lars a bit of Manticora on stage. Its deffinitally going to make IE stage show moAr awesome!

Wait wait wait... I can understand why you're being positive about the whole thing - I am too, as Stu is a really good guy who has worked his ass off to get to where he is. But you've only seen him live once. I've seen Into Eternity live about 15 times (no exaggeration either). Stu is NOT consistent every time. There are nights that he's fantastic indeed, as there have been nights where he really dropped the ball. That being said, I'm confident that he'll do a good job, especially now that he doesn't have to fluctuate between clean-growl-scream-uberhighfalsetto-clean-growl.

Wait wait wait... I can understand why you're being positive about the whole thing - I am too, as Stu is a really good guy who has worked his ass off to get to where he is. But you've only seen him live once. I've seen Into Eternity live about 15 times (no exaggeration either). Stu is NOT consistent every time. There are nights that he's fantastic indeed, as there have been nights where he really dropped the ball. That being said, I'm confident that he'll do a good job, especially now that he doesn't have to fluctuate between clean-growl-scream-uberhighfalsetto-clean-growl.

I promise you he will be good because he will look to the right and see this at every show.

ngt6F.jpg

15 times? You must truly be a fan.

I was going to say that it probably isn't hard to see them 15 times. I've seen them at least 4 times and I wasn't even trying to see them.

I don't know about this, but that's just because I don't really like Into Eternity and I wasn't paying too much attention.