Iced Earth News (Dunno if it's current news, but what the hell!)

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
ICED EARTH REISSUES, TRIBUTE: (Press Release) With re-mixed & re-mastered versions of ICED EARTH's Iced Earth, , Night Of The Storm Rider, and Burnt Offerings scheduled for re-release with all new artwork on October 1st, the history of ICED EARTH--one of the prides of the metal underground--will be recirculated. As with everything else in the natural world, everything has its roots. In the upcoming Tribute To The Gods album (due out on November 12th), founding member, songwriter and guitarist Jon Schaffer shares some gems in his ticket stub collection and digs a bit deeper to reveal his very personal stories surrounding the bands he grew up listening to. For example:

"Iron Maiden came through Fort Wayne supporting Number Of The Beast opening for .38 Special, but I was grounded. You won't believe how many cool concerts I missed because I was grounded [laughs]. The next year [1983] with Piece Of Mind, they came through and headlined in Fort Wayne, and that's the ticket stub fans will see in the liner notes. School was already out for summer and whatever it was me and my buddies were doing, we left
early and walked to the venue, The Fort Wayne Coliseum, from our neighborhood. That was quite a hike. We left at 11 in the morning. The crew guys were outside taking a break, they were passing around a bottle of Jack Daniels and playing frisbee. We were hanging out talking to them, doing a couple of shots of whiskey trying to be cool, and then I remember the band pulling up in their bus a few hours later. They all got off the bus and I was having a hard
time speaking. At that point, I was just this gigantic fan, of Steve Harris especially, because with Number Of The Beast, it just intrigued me... Who is writing this shit? As I was reading the lyrics and the liner notes and seeing Harris everywhere, I was like, 'This guy is the fuckin' MAN.' So when it came time to try to speak to him, I just couldn't. I had this homemade shirt on, where I had taken my mom's red fingernail polish and had drawn the Killers logo
dripping in blood on this white t-shirt, and I think I said something like, 'Can you sign my Killers... I mean, my shirt?' I felt like an idiot. I was shaking. It was a big deal to me, getting to talk to him for just a few seconds, shake his hand, get his autograph... it's something you hold onto forever. I was down in the 2nd or 3rd row that night, and I was completely, absolutely mesmerized by him, the way he played and his intensity. I've never been the same since."

The tracklisting for Tribute To The Gods is:

01. Creatures Of The Night (KISS)
02. Number Of The Beast (IRON MAIDEN)
03. Highway To Hell (AC/DC)
04. Screaming For Vengeance (JUDAS PRIEST)
05. Hallowed Be Thy Name (IRON MAIDEN)
06. God Of Thunder (KISS) -- featuring Jon Schaffer on vocals
07. Burnin' For You (Blue Öyster Cult)
08. Black Sabbath (BLACK SABBATH)
09. It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) (AC/DC)
10. Dead Babies (ALICE COOPER)
11. Cities On Flame With Rock & Roll (Blue Öyster Cult)

Weren't the remastered reissues in that Dark Genesis thing?

By the way, if anyone gets the news that Iced Earth are touring Australia, don't bother - I reported that news LONG ago ;)

I used it as the subject header when I was advertising Ultimate Metal Radio for Mark :) Spawny chose to think I was actually being serious and had his whole tour schedule worked out before he read the actual post.

The DOOFUS. :)

It wasnt just a mountain, I climbed Everest before I even saw the post. Without oxygen. Bastard.

ep, its the ones that were in Dark Genesis, but its new packaging Spiffy... NEW PACKAGING! ;)

Spawny,have you stopped to consider that buying the same cd for new artwork is a waste of money??

you could just steal the booklets from any cd store.

I dont see your point Koichi, it says Iced Earth on the front, did you miss that bit? :D

(And what the hell do I care about money, I dont drink, dont do drugs, live with my parents and have no girlfriend, so comics and cds it is! And how.)

You have the nerve to criticise a well-meaning businessman like Gene Simmons, but have no qualms whatsoever in spending your hard-earned on a bunch of crooks like Iced Earth. Inconceivable.

:lol: I realise you were taking the piss, but:

Iced Earth had no control over the release of Dark Genesis, but when Jon heard about it, he got involved and did the tribute cd, remixed and remastered the albums, put the demo in there and made sure the packaging was great, and now they are releasing them seperately and he cant control that either, he doesnt own any of his music until 2005!

(Though the band still gets royalties etc. They just cant decide what comes out, so expect an Iced Earths Greatest Hits somewhere around 2004 id say before CM loses the rights)

When you called Gene a well meaning businessman and not a whore and when you called Iced Earth crooks I assumed you were :)