Iced Earth - "The Glorious Burden" - This Tuesday!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Don't forget that this Tuesday the brand new Iced Earth cd "The Glorious Burden" is in stores. I have my copy already and it just smokes. It was rough dealing with the fact that Barlow is no longer in the band but Ripper Owens is awesome and shines brightly with Iced Earth. The album is one of the finest yet and features an extra disc for the 32 minute epic "Gettysburg". Be sure to get your hands on whats sure to be one of the hottest albums of 2004.

Did you get the version with Waterloo on it? I'll be picking up my copy on Tuesday...I can't fucking wait. Owens doesn't sound bad, he actually sounds pretty good...but he's not Matt Barlow, and Barlow owned in Iced Earth. I've already heard the CD, and I liked it a lot! But I must own the CD!

Yup I have the version with "Waterloo". It is a 2 disc album with the following track listing...

Disc 1

1. The Star Spangled Banner
2. Declaration Day
3. When The Eagle Cries
4. The Reckoning (Don't Tread On Me)
5. Greenface
6. Attila
7. Red Baron/Blue Max
8. Hollow Man
9. Valley Forge
10. Waterloo

Bonus Tracks
11. When The Eagle Cries (Unplugged)

Disc 2

Gettysburg (1863)
1. The Devil To Pay
2. Hold At All Costs
3. High Water Mark

I downloaded some of the tracks, and it doesn't seem quite up to par with the older material, still good though. I must say that I don't know what to make of the patriotic slant of the album.

Damn the cowboy in #2 is badass.

Yeah, I wish Barlow never left, but hell, I'm just happy for new Iced Earth. I know it's gonna be good, the single wasn't anything terrible, and Schaeffer isn't the kind of guy to pull a St. Anger.

Time for some Stormrider. :)

Everyone always talks about Barlow dammit.

He wasn't THAT good. I can outsing him in my sleep. I do every night...

...in your dreams! HEHHEHEHEEEHEEE!!!1!!1!!!111

:err:

Uh...no.

Oh well, this is the first Iced Earth CD I won't be getting. Real shame. I'm not too bothered about Owens, although I don't think anyone could fit better than Barlow, but i'm just sick of the tepid songwriting. The ballads on The Glorious Burden suck.

TaylorC said:
tepid songwriting? but don't you listen to Mudvayne? :loco:
heh, Mudvayne's music is dynamic, and over three albums they've not repeated themselves stylistically or musically. Iced Earth.......well.....like I said. Listen to Hollow Man and When the Eagle Cries....and tell me honsetly you don't think it's the exactly the same ballad he's written on the last four albums, just a little more stagnant. As for the thrashy side of Iced Earth....we all know fine well how samey Jon's thrash riffing is from album to album.

SculptedCold said:
Oh well, this is the first Iced Earth CD I won't be getting. Real shame. I'm not too bothered about Owens, although I don't think anyone could fit better than Barlow, but i'm just sick of the tepid songwriting. The ballads on The Glorious Burden suck.

Well when the eagles cries or whatever bored the piss outta me.

I guess i can see what people mean when they say the riffing is the same from album to album, but its what I've come to expect from Iced Earth.... its all about Jon's trademark riffing style, no other thrash band has that style, and I think he varies plenty to keep it interesting, Horror Show was a good example.....

I'm just saying that all I want from Iced Earth (and I'm sure most other fans too) is just kickass old-school styled thrash-power metal.... not to be some big experimental band.

I don´t like the new stuff that much... yes, I miss the voice of Barlow, it was a verry special one, and the american patritic style...ok, remind, how Shaffer earns the rest of his money ;)... he is a patriot, ok, his choice, but I prefer songs and themes like on the "something Wicked.." and "Dark Saga".

"I'm a little ignorant, but can someone tell me who Greenface is?"

Greenface is a reference to the U.S. Navy SEALs. SEAL stands for SEa Air and Land. During the song he sings something about attacking from sea, air, and land. The term "greenface" goes back to the Vietnam war. The SEALs were used on a lot of covert operations against the Viet Cong during Operation Phoenix where they kidnapped a lot of Viet Cong leaders, money collectors, and so on. The Viet Cong thought the SEALs were ghosts because they came without a sound, left without a trace, and anyone who went with them never came back. They called them "the men with green faces" because of their green camo face paint. Hence the term "greenface." Hope that helps.