Ichi the Killer

Disney/Pixar are ruthless bastards. That opening sequence in Finding Nemo is fucked up. (Remember, I watch all this stuff with a 2 year old and so her trauma becomes my trauma).

Finding Nemo rules, but the beginning is too much "let's kill off mom Bambi style" Disney shite for me. :mad:

Well, Disney are evil.. You know they're releasing DVD's now that will no longer play after 2 years, so you have to buy them again like videos? Well, that's what I've been told ;)

Also they bought the rights to a lot of Anime and didn't release it, just so no-one else could as it out-classed them so badly :)

Russell said:
Also they bought the rights to a lot of Anime and didn't release it, just so no-one else could as it out-classed them so badly :)
Yes, that happened with Spirited Away. Although it received global appraise, Disney bought the rights to it in the US and put it out on limited release just so their own releases wouldn't be overshadowed.

I've yet to see it but I've heard it's one of the best animated features in history.

It is a great, great film. I've seen it three times at the cinema now :D Definitely worth seeing if you ever get the chance. Your daughter would probably like it a lot more than finding Nemo too ;)

Tho it does have some "monster" bits which she may not like :(

JayKeeley said:
Yes, that happened with Spirited Away. Although it received global appraise, Disney bought the rights to it in the US and put it out on limited release just so their own releases wouldn't be overshadowed.
The only problem was that Sprited Away won the Oscar for best Animation. Talk about biting you in the bum. :)

Russell said:
It is a great, great film. I've seen it three times at the cinema now :D Definitely worth seeing if you ever get the chance. Your daughter would probably like it a lot more than finding Nemo too ;)
I thoroughly enjoyed Finding Nemo. It was a very funny film but I must admit it's definitely aimed at a much younger demographic than their previous films.

ChiefB said:
I thoroughly enjoyed Finding Nemo. It was a very funny film but I must admit it's definitely aimed at a much younger demographic than their previous films.
You think? Of all the Pixar films, I have enjoyed finding Nemo the most - I thought it was more of a comedy (and slightly less a children's film) than their previous works.Then again it is a long time since I've seen toy story or a bugs life, so it could be my memory playing tricks. :)

Nice review. Not sure if you realize this but...

"The director even goes to the length of having silhouetted figures with text boxes for the introduction of some characters, finding keys to gain access to new levels, and navigating with a computer-generated map. Some of the time this approach is effective, and there are occasional very original shots scattered throughout the movie, but with every scene being treated in such a way, it can become tedious. The Blair Witch-reminiscent, first-person exploration of the house has its moments, leading to some unusual, post-modern, self-referential touches, and the use of grainy, black and white CCTV footage is also effective at times,"

...is all lifted from Resident Evil gameplay, specifically those CCTV angles from the upper corners of the rooms.

I agree with your conclusion. It's hit and miss. I've owned it for a while now, and to be honest, I didn't need to see it more than once. It'll go up for trade one day.

JayKeeley said:
Nice review. Not sure if you realize this but...

"The director even goes to the length of having silhouetted figures with text boxes for the introduction of some characters, finding keys to gain access to new levels, and navigating with a computer-generated map. Some of the time this approach is effective, and there are occasional very original shots scattered throughout the movie, but with every scene being treated in such a way, it can become tedious. The Blair Witch-reminiscent, first-person exploration of the house has its moments, leading to some unusual, post-modern, self-referential touches, and the use of grainy, black and white CCTV footage is also effective at times,"

...is all lifted from Resident Evil gameplay, specifically those CCTV angles from the upper corners of the rooms.

I agree with your conclusion. It's hit and miss. I've owned it for a while now, and to be honest, I didn't need to see it more than once. It'll go up for trade one day.
Cheers dude :) I totally missed that! Not that I could have known, as I haven't played any computer games of any kind since the demise of the megadrive, but hey ;)

It's cool that we felt the same about it.. Next up are reviews of "Sure Death" and "Lyckantropen" :)

Hey Russell - just noticed that you guys have "Batwoman" listed as an upcoming movie with Nicole Kidman, when it should be "Catwoman". I hate pointing out mistakes, but you know, this is minor but major at the same time... :D

P.S. Did you ever send me your demo?