I'd really like some feedback and guidance

lilhermiejobo

Mar 6, 2007
The Art of Repair soundclick streaming mp3

I dont normally end up writing this sort of tune but this is what came out and its growing on me more and more. Before I fully dive into finishing this one off I'm hoping you guys could shed some light on production style for this style of rock/hard rock.
I'm not sure how else to explain it other than by comparing signature mix techniques or styles for certain styles of music that are easy to recognize.
I'd appreciate any feedback and perhaps some direction or guidance on production tips (yes, I realize there is a thread for that but I figured since I'm after rate my tone/mix it was better suited for this section).

:kickass:

I'd like to start by saying that I feel the mix is lacking low-end, or at least it sounded that way when compared to other mixes in my car with all digital eq disabled or flat and which has a sub.
How could I get that sort of depth out of the bass without drowning in mud or crapping all over the kick?

Sounds pretty good dude. I think the guitars and snare (maybe OHs too) are lacking some clarity in the high end. I think you have plenty of low end.

I have to agree, you have a lot of low end but you achieved a great guitar tone. I would add some highs in overall, not too much, only the give more brightness. The bass is a Vst or a real instrument? As for the mix, I think she suits well for this kind of music. Only the bass drum could be more punchy but nothing wrong with that, it´s a matter of taste and I really like your song. Great melody.

Thanks for the replies, guys!!! So, by high-end clarity do you mean the presence or a simple eq boost? I'm always cautious of the high-end in my mixes because I worry that too much will result in sounding too sterile and digital. By the way, what sound systems are you guys listening on? Maybe the room I'm currently mixing in sucks the bass out of anything I do because the only time my stuff sounds like it has enough bass, to me, has WAY too much played back on other systems.
Nuno_Filipe, at the moment the kick mic was closer to the beater but has a low eq boost around 75-80hz. I'll try eq boosting before I change the mic placement but thank you for picking that out for me. I was too focused on the low end sounding like it was missing or hollow and didn't pay too much attention. I'll make notes of everything you guys suggest for after my new computer is up and running and I'm ready to dive head first into this project.
:headbang: