If NAD gets a CD-R write up thread, then so do I damnit!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I will continue to add as I go through my latest hauls.

DEATHSPELL OMEGA - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
On my first listen here....the French BM folk seem to be good at making all things pretty scary don't they? That 'fright factor' from fellow countrymen, Blut Aus Nord, is apparent, but without all the frantic buzzsaw guitarwork. You don't have to be a BM coinneseur to appreciate this. This is music as it erupts from the bowels of an old chapel at the top of a mountainside. Kinda like that place in "The Name of the Rose", with all those mad monks chanting their daily prayers, burning peasant witches at the stake in the courtyard, hiding satanic manuscripts in secret labyrinths...this album is like a witch hunt.

Next on my playlist...Mar de Grises.

I can't wait to see how many :zombie: and o_O things will be in your write-up of that Zappa I send your way.
JayKeeley said:
Kinda like that place in "The Name of the Rose"
SOLD!!!

JayK: Well, I now have 20 CD-R's in a jiffy bag with your name on it to be posted tomorrow or so. Sorry that it's taken so long, but I haven't had money to buy CD-R's with until today.

Erik said:
JayK: Well, I now have 20 CD-R's in a jiffy bag with your name on it to be posted tomorrow or so. Sorry that it's taken so long, but I haven't had money to buy CD-R's with until today.
Hey, no worries.

Black Winter Day said:
I was listening to it earlier and still like it BUT... either it's just summertime and not appropriate or I'm just growing out of black metal... not in the mood for it.
I don't know if this is psychological, but with Woods of Ypres plastering "Summer Black Metal" on their new CD, the music just seemed to fit the mood with the sun shining yesterday.

Have I mentioned that the new Woods of Ypres is the proverbial dogs bollocks?

JayKeeley said:
I don't know if this is psychological, but with Woods of Ypres plastering "Summer Black Metal" on their new CD, the music just seemed to fit the mood with the sun shining yesterday.
That's another thing... Woods of Ypres is a great, great band, but black metal they are NOT. It's even more apparent with the new release than with the old one. I don't know why they would insist on keeping that label, it's just not accurate at ALL.

They're black metal the way Agalloch is black metal, which means they aren't really but the comparison can be made. I guess.

JayKeeley, you have at least 10 more CD-Rs coming your way in a day or two. I wonder which will bury you first, the promos or the freebies? At least you can pass along the promos. :loco:

Erik said:
Maybe I should shut up until I have listened to it more, but so far "Against the Seasons" > "Pursuit/Allure"... :erk:
Hmm, that possibly doesn't surprise me. Likewise, I'm sure it doesn't surprise you that I prefer the new one.

With that said, I thought we'd meet in the middle of an Agalloch road perhaps....

Woods of Ypres are black metal in the same way Agalloch are. There are hints of the musical style involved, and they can conjure similar atmospheres at times. But more than that, no.

Gook! New one! :loco:

I will, don't worry. I started Eucharist the other day, that was not anything like I expected, but I think I'll like it.

NAD said:
They're black metal the way Agalloch is black metal, which means they aren't really but the comparison can be made. I guess.
I'll say this first though: Chedsey coined the term "gray metal" for bands like Agalloch, Aeternus, Vintersorg et al who obviously borrow some musical bits and pieces from black metal but don't really fully fit into the genre. It's pretty stupid to be making up more genre names and I'd rather call stuff like that "dark metal" or something which is slightly more of an established term... either way that's sort of where I would file WoY.

Alright, I'd like to get my thread back on topic.

Mar de Grises
First track, "El Otro" just obliterated me and left me standing. Funeral doom, regular doom, just lots of emotional music intertwined with beautiful moments of melody brought forth either through orchestra or keys. Second track, "To see Saturn Fall", is a moment of brilliance, and the outro to the song just blows me away.

Currently on track 3, "Storm". So far so good....I can already tell that as soon as this album is over, I want to replay it immediately from the beginning.

BSW CD-R scoring thus far: 2/2