If NAD gets a CD-R write up thread, then so do I damnit!

I did not like Halo that much either. It was OK at times. I'm actually surprised you didn't like Halo, NAD, sense they are basically a mix of Godflesh, Swans and the drone doom of Sunn and Khanate.

Halo is the only drone group I've heard that just sounds like noise to me, I've tried several times and can never make it past the first 6 minutes or so.
Metal-Observer.com said:
If it wouldn’t sound too weird I’d describe it as the musical equivalent of a vast landmass in movement.
:kickass:
JayKeeley said:
I can make you a CD-R from this CD-R if you like.
:kickass:

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet.

I'm tied between "The Rising of the Flames" and "The Gallant Crow" being some of the greatest funeral doom songs I've ever heard.

I reckon "Sign of a Storm", "The Rising of the Flames" and "The Everdarkgreen" take the cake. However, together with Thergothon "Stream from the Heavens", that indeed is the best album in the genre. Skepticism's very best song, though, is "The March and the Stream" from "Lead and Aether", otherwise a more uneven album than "Stormcrowfleet".

Stormcrowfleet and Until Death Overtakes Me's Prelude to Monolith are the albums for me.

I like the version of "The March and the Stream" from Lead and Aether more than the version from Ethere.

Yeah, Lead and Aether gets lost a little, but maybe it's one of those albums that takes 10 years to get into.

Nortt's Gudsforladt is truly exceptional. I listened to it once, panicked a little, and am wary to listen to it again. It is like opening the book of the dead, the necromonicon....

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

No way am I passing judgement on one listen, but thus far, I would say I like the music a tad more on Nightfall -- but the vocals are better on EDM.

That moment right when he says "dickus" you can see Michael Palin almost lose it... but he doesn't. Genius!

Nortt - Gudsforladt

Funeral doom is a difficult subject to discuss, and as with any genre, it is filled with bands that approach the same subject rather differently.

As a quick comparitive overview, some FD bands are experimental (the gorgeous ethnic sounding PANTHEIST with its variety of clean and harsh vocals & Mediterranean instruments on O Solitude); some manage to corner all markets (SKEPTICISM, especially in the differences between the bleak, rough-edged Stormcrowfleet and epic greatness of the more dynamic Farmakon); some with psychadelic-infused subtleties (ESOTERIC, where the oddities of what they deliver end up sounding horrific, particularly on Epistemological Despondency -- I'm not sure if I've heard scarier vocals); some drowning in their own stark emptiness (THERGOTHON, completely lost in its own despondency with clean vocal passages floating upon guttural growls).

NORTT, on the other hand, seem to follow in the footsteps of EVOKEN, where all melody-free riffs are accentuated (and compensated for) by the actual melody found in the keys. Now slow it down to snail pace funeral march, replace synths with what sounds like a real grand piano, and you're somewhere in the NORTT playing ballpark. It's very much a "less is more" approach, and they basically rectify what bands like SHAPE OF DESPAIR manage to get wrong: instead of sounding overly polished whilst gleaming in synths, NORTT manage to remain bleak enough to sound like they're indeed actually dying, face down in the gutter, rain pouring, blood spilling, washing away the sadness sort of thing blah blah.

The problem with this "less is more" approach is that after a while, it tends to sound a little simplistic (or straightforward) particularly if you're already a fan of aforementioned bands like SKEPTICISM, THERGOTHON, PANTHEIST, etc. I think it's ok to vary the vocal styles, throw in a different sounding instrument, experiment with a sound here or there, just explore the musical territory a bit further. NORTT, however, are playing text book funeral doom 101 so if you're new to the genre, NORTT might be an excellent place to start.

Note that NORTT do leverage sounds of actual rain, church bells, etc and I dare say that certain moments almost sound movie-like in all their nighttime ambience, and this is a great thing in my book, especially with autumn/winter approaching.

Uaral - Sounds of Pain

Empyrium meets some kind of funeral doom, with just a tad of blackish elements thrown in. Overall though, it's very depressing in a dark doom-like way, as opposed to romantic/mournful way which is what Empyrium is. Empyrium is depressing in its inherent beauty, where Uaral depicts someone coming to the end of their days, taking solace in the middle of a forest.

A top 10 contender.

JayKeeley said:
Uaral - Sounds of Pain

Empyrium meets some kind of funeral doom, with just a tad of blackish elements thrown in. Overall though, it's very depressing in a dark doom-like way, as opposed to romantic/mournful way which is what Empyrium is. Empyrium is depressing in its inherent beauty, where Uaral depicts someone coming to the end of their days, taking solace in the middle of a forest.

A top 10 contender.
YES!:headbang: