If NAD gets a CD-R write up thread, then so do I damnit!

OK before I do the brief synopsis on Graveland, I'll tell you that I've been listening to The Fire of Awakening and at first I just couldn't get my head round it. I think it's the repetitive nature of it all that erodes away at my brain. And then a few days and a few listens later, I found myself just letting the music just carry me away...

So this is no write up as such, but only to say that I will do one tonight and it will be prefaced with the fact that nothing with Graveland is instant. In fact, on first listen, it's actually quite yucky. That makes me want to go back to some of their other albums that I probably gave up on a bit too soon'ish.

It only confuses me though as to why I did like Immortal Pride so much. The albums are hardly worlds apart...so go figure. I guess it's all about mood. If you're not in the mood for Graveland, avoid it. Leave it for a few days, and come back to it with headphones.

I still remember I was ready to sell my first 3 Graveland albums after about 2 months of not understanding what the fuck was going on. Then I decided to give them one more try, and I loved it, and have since that day over two years ago.

I still think Creed of Iron is the best for new Graveland listeners. This is the one where they (he) left the more black metal sounding stuff for a more polished (to use Erik's word) and bombastic approach.

What Graveland have you heard, JayK?

Other than TFoA, I have Immortal Pride, Raise your Sword!, and Thousand Swords.

It was either RyS or TS where I thought I couldn't deal with it for a while and put it away. The fact that Erik had felt TFoA was the most accessible intrigued me because I wanted to get back into it. I'm not sure if it is any more approachable, but it's certainly provided a turning point in interest....

I love Immortal Pride. Along with Following the VOice of Blood and Creed of Iron, it is one of my 3 favorites.

Raise Your Sword is a nice tasty treat. While I could do without the 3rd track (which is just an older song sung in Polish, I believe), I think the 1st track is one of Robbie's finest songs in the newer Graveland style.

To this day, I still don't see why Thousand Swords is monumentally praised as one of black metal's best albums. Give me FtVoB over TS any day. TS is good, yes, but IMO, it is neither one of black metal's best nor Graveland's best.

Doomcifer said:
Quick question about Uaral. The opening track, with the rain falling down, and the screams....are those viking horns they're blowing amidst the subtle beating of the kettle-drums? Really, what an opening for an album I must say....especially where track #2 picks up with those Empyrium-like acoustics and flute....just beautiful stuff.

Right then...on to some Graveland and Astrofaes....

Graveland - The Fire of Awakening

Whether it be during the melancholic, majestic anthems (the stuff movies are made of), or the slow pagan rhythmic gallops, one of the few good things about Darken is that he knows when to shut his trap and let the music do the talking, and good thing too since vocals aren't exactly his strong suit. (It would be really interesting to hear Graveland material with a better, less monotonous, less throaty, less Kermit-like vocalist). Anyway, this stuff tends to grow on you -- about five listens in and you're hooked. Be prepared for long drawn out riff structures which at first sound repetitive (especially track #2, "Battle of Wotan's Wolves" -- holy shit, you'll think your CD got stuck, when all of a sudden these glorious symphonic choirs kick in), but later it all begins to sound almost tribal and quite trance-like. Music to row your viking oars to.

Astrofaes - Ancestor's Shadows

Glory, glory is me. First noticeable element of their sound is that out of two guitars, one sounds like an acoustic playing through some kind of chorus/flange pedal device. I don't know what's going on with that, but the contrast is pretty cool. Or maybe it's just a fucked up recording? Now, I only draw this vocal comparison because I was listening to Astrofaes back to back with Graveland, but this vocalist is reaching from the gut. Talk about gag reflex, at times it sounds like he could be throwing up last night's vindaloo. First track is ok setting the scene as it were, and the second track picks up the pace a little but still nothing too interesting going on....and then out of nowhere, track #3, "Thunder I shall Bring" just changes everything for the rest of the album!! Now we're talking thunder and rain clapping in the sky, vocal changes (between chant and rasp), the melody is almost Agalloch-like from the Pale Folklore sessions, and the entire song (probably the best on the album) is just addictive as hell. And if you like that song, you're going to love "After the Battle" with the same dynamics, just played at a more war-like tempo. The instrumental, "The Last Dawn", starts off with crickets chirping in the night, falling into a folk'ish melody played at a foot-tapping pace, and listen out for the basslines on this one. Seriously good. The album closer, "The Call of my Land", is just fucking EPIC!!! I'll leave it at that because right now I have to figure out how to get some more Astrofaes....