If you are not thinking about treating your room ...

I'm going to do this with left over Xmas money, I just have to after reading all these threads. My room is a fairly small square (10x12ft) space, so I'm thinking one in each corner to break the 90º angle (I've got a window in one corner... shit, might have to leave out one corner), one to the left and one to the right of my listening position, and then some foam on the wall behind my monitors/screen.

Smy, I assume you just went with the wood frame + OC703 type material, covered in breathable fabric?

I'm going to do this with left over Xmas money, I just have to after reading all these threads. My room is a fairly small square (10x12ft) space, so I'm thinking one in each corner to break the 90º angle (I've got a window in one corner... shit, might have to leave out one corner), one to the left and one to the right of my listening position, and then some foam on the wall behind my monitors/screen.

Smy, I assume you just went with the wood frame + OC703 type material, covered in breathable fabric?

Yea, I got Rockwool Mineralwool (the semi-rigid "panel" type). Just went to a local home depot got some light wood, had it cut and then used metal angles to put the wood together. Nothing fancy, really.

My only gripe is that I chose fabric that is TOO thin. I was really concerned with the breathability and I also wanted everything to be red, so I didn't have that much choice. The mineralwool has a tendency to push out a bit and the fabric bulges occasionally, so my absorbers don't look as snazzy as professional ones (which I can live with).

I have a door very close to my right back corner, so I couldn't straddle the corner with an absorber there. Glenn from GIK Acoustics also recommended putting absorbers on the corner where the ceiling meets the wall and I did that in the back over my couch.

studiolayout.jpg

That's how my room looks. Corner E is the problematic one. So I just hung an absorber onto the sidewall where it didnt obstruct the door.

There are also absorbers right and left of the listening position and one over it (coming soon). There is one on the wall behind the couch AND one straddling the wall/ceiling-corner over the couch.

It is really interesting to walk thru the room when music is playing because when I walk into corner "E" the bass buildup is immense. It's interesting how much less bass you hear in the listening position, but what you hear is really defined. Even on those poor-ass Tannoys.

I am a happy camper at the moment.

If you, your wife, gf etc. is handy at sewing you can create your own Ready Traps type bag. I.e. a stretchable fabric of sorts. Hell, there's way you could even make it easier then that.

OC703 is rigid enough to hold it's own weight without bending and/or sagging over time.

Last question before I end up pissing people off...

Is OC703 really worth it, or will any rigid, panel-type rockwool insulation work for this application? OC703 looks to be fairly expensive - 80 bucks for three traps, not counting the rest of the materials. Is it worth the extra cost over Home Depot/Lowe's stuff?

Last question before I end up pissing people off...

Is OC703 really worth it, or will any rigid, panel-type rockwool insulation work for this application? OC703 looks to be fairly expensive - 80 bucks for three traps, not counting the rest of the materials. Is it worth the extra cost over Home Depot/Lowe's stuff?

There are some other brands that make very similar product as compared to OC703, that yield almost the same numbers, yet are much cheaper. Best thing to do is look at the specs of the off brands and see how they match up.

I bought some Johns-Manville board that has the same PCF as 705, got six 2-inch boards for the same price as 703...... Great deal if you ask me, and it performs the same as 705.....

But $80 for 3 traps? I hope those are 4inch..... OC703 should be six 2-inch panels for around $80....

Hmm so you've got nothing straddling corners A or B, and it's still been that much of an improvement? I definitely have to do this!

NOOO ... I have a big "top-to-bottom", 2 meter tall, absorber in corners A, B & C.

I actually realize that my description was somewhat incorrect.

So here it goes again:

Corner A, B, C: 2m tall absorbers straddling the corners
Corner D: two 1m absorbers hung on the walls, not straddling the corner, due to space restraints because of the couch. One absorber left of the couch, one behind the couch. Also one on the wall/ceiling corner above the couch
Corner E: one absorber just hung on the right wall away from the corner, due to door opening problems. This is the corner with the most bass build up
Left & Right of listening position: one 1m absorbers
Over the listening position: one 1m absorber (not yet)
In front of the window: curtain (not yet done).

Sorry for any misleading info. When I walk into corner E, I really hear the HUGE difference the large absorbers in corners A/B/C make.

Alright, last question for real here.

On the panels that won't be stradling corners, just pressed up against the wall (AKA behind me and to the left/right of my mixing position), would it make a difference if I used 2" or 4" thick panels? Trying to save as much cash as possible here :lol:.

Alright, last question for real here.

On the panels that won't be stradling corners, just pressed up against the wall (AKA behind me and to the left/right of my mixing position), would it make a difference if I used 2" or 4" thick panels? Trying to save as much cash as possible here :lol:.

No idea, really. That shit is cheap as hell though!?!

Here are a bunch of pics from the building process:

1. Shawn is predrilling holes for the metal angles into the long boards (sides)
absorbers_shawn_preparing_long_sides.jpg

2. Then we drilled metal angles into the short boards (top/bottom)
absorbers_bottom_angles_01.jpg

3. Sideboards get screwed to the short boards
absorbers_frame_almost_done.jpg

4. First frame done (a bit crooked), presented by lovely stapleing assistant Lynne
absorbers_frame_done_crooked.jpg

5. Frame gets placed on fabric
absorbers_frame_on_fabric.jpg

6. Lynne putting rockwool in there. We put 2 panels (approx 4 inch) in each small absorber and 3 (approx 6 inch) into the big ones
absorbers_rockwool.jpg

7. We cut up regular large garbage bags and used them to seal the back. Really cheap and easy. Just staple them to the frame.
absorbers_plasticbag_back.jpg

8. After stapleing the fabric to the back, this is what it looks like:
absorbers_done_02.jpg

The good thing about using plastic bags for the back is that you can punch holes in it and push hangers through, so that you can hang the absorbers easily ...

Some advice:

a) working with 3 people was perfect cause Shawn and I drilled and put the frames together while Lynne did the rockwool and plasticbag/fabric stapleing.

b) I recommend doing the stapleing on a large table because on the floor it is hell on your knees. I was glad Lynne is small and doesnt have knee problems like me, so she had no problems doing it.

c) if I'd do it again, I would probably use some sort of wire in the front to prevent the rockwool from pushing out a little. We did that for the large absorbers, but the small ones were already done.

d) try to be really precise with the fabric, because it will look crappy (like some of mine) when you do a half-assed job.

Hope this helps!

Typically, how much is rock wool in the states?

IIG 1280, the best absorber I can find based on lab tests, is 18.00 for a box of 3 if you go 4", and a box of 6 if you go 2". They measure 2' x 4' each. That's only 6 bucks per bass trap if you go for 4" thickness. Fuck 703, that shit is expensive.

I just moved to a new house, so I'm actually on my way to pick up a truckload of the 1280 board this weekend or this week sometime.

http://www.intelligentinsulation.com/pdfs/IIG-402.pdf

IIG 1280, the best absorber I can find based on lab tests, is 18.00 for a box of 3 if you go 4", and a box of 6 if you go 2". They measure 2' x 4' each. That's only 6 bucks per bass trap if you go for 4" thickness. Fuck 703, that shit is expensive.

I just moved to a new house, so I'm actually on my way to pick up a truckload of the 1280 board this weekend or this week sometime.

Anyplace to get this online? I can't find anywhere that carries it online or in the area. I just ordered some way more expensive stuff and will kick myself if I could have done 5 time more coverage for the same price.

I called them directly and they gave me a store that was within a 45 minute drive. The sales office number is 1-800-866-3234. Hope that helps.

Damn! That's super cheap!

I can't seem to find a dealer for IIG, or a place to order online. Where are you grabbing yours from?