If you could build/design your own amp

G1

Dec 8, 2008
Im pretty sure this has been discussed before but after a few searches i failed to come across the thread.

so in that case...

What would you include ?

I ask mainly because I've come across a custom amp builder here in the uk who is beyond awesome imo.

Ive already asked for a built in TS9 and Noise gate.

Im more thinking about voicing styles and useful options to add on and build into the amp.

The guy has mentioned he could just look at a few mesa and peavey blue prints and build a cross between but i'm more tempted to go for something original that no one else has.

What would you guys ask for if you had the chance to build your perfect amp exactly how you wanted it ?

there's already a thread about this exact thing - some funny stuff in it!

are you guys able to find a link for me ?

im failing pretty badly at finding it myself :p

Just a nice clean sound that will be able to get a little crunchy for blues stuff and a nice
rhythm sound like Engl Savage or something like a hot-rodded Marshall, Noise Gate integrated, a good Fx Loop, and I want it
in a classic Plexistyle headshell with white Tolex (I fucking love plexistyle headshells), that's it.

Just a nice clean sound that will be able to get a little crunchy for blues stuff and a nice
rhythm sound like Engl Savage or something like a hot-rodded Marshall, Noise Gate integrated, a good Fx Loop, and I want it
in a classic Plexistyle headshell with white Tolex (I fucking love plexistyle headshells), that's it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a good fx loop?

IMO, clean, transparent, and (ideally) selectable between 100% series or parallel (but if that's not an option, just series)

Sweet that's what my proto has right now(well no parallel). But the loop is TRANSPARENT, and fully by-passable. Also has a level selection. When I click it on and off, you can't hear a difference in tone at all. And the loop itself is only a few bucks worth of parts, go figure. Guess that's the benefit of an SS loop.

So far Im thinking 3 separate channels each with separate tubes and masters.

THe guy said he's able to create different style tones for each channel so if i really wanted i could take inspiration (ripp off) from three different amps. Say like mesa cleans, engl crunch and a bogner lead channel. All in one head. Pretty tastey stuff imo.
Im also having a dedicated section to a built in TS-9 which will have an on off switch.

im thinking about having the following setup of;
gain, bass, mid, mid freq, treble and presence.

I think having the option to choose what area of the EQ the mid pot controls would be a cool idea but i'll have to check if the guys up to building it in.

3 discrete channels? Have fun at retube time :)

The EQ sweep is just a simple viable slope resistor, pretty easy, he should have no problem doing it.

Sweet that's what my proto has right now(well no parallel). But the loop is TRANSPARENT, and fully by-passable. Also has a level selection. When I click it on and off, you can't hear a difference in tone at all. And the loop itself is only a few bucks worth of parts, go figure. Guess that's the benefit of an SS loop.

Ooh yeah, thank you for remembering the most important feature (which I forgot :D), footswitchability!

IMO, clean, transparent, and (ideally) selectable between 100% series or parallel (but if that's not an option, just series)

Do any of the mesa's have a blend on the loop ? I once played with a band that had a sansamp analogue rack for the distortion in the loop and I think it was blended in with the mesa's preamp section I may be wrong anyway it was a dual or triple rect . Jees im useless with the details sorry. The hottest tone on the whole tour.

Yeah, all Rectifiers after pretty much '95 have parallel loops (except for the Roadster and Road King), that sounds like a really interesting combination; I assume his signal was split to feed the inputs of both the Sansamp and Rectifier?

Here is a nice effects loop from Metro Amps.

http://metroamp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=499

If it where mine i would keep the low voltage TS, gate, and relays outside the amp. Keep it simple inside and it will pay off in tone. One of these will do all your switching pedals included.

http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/GRX4-Guitar-Router-Switcher-p-16135.html

Id go just two channel with a Fender or plexi clean and a modded 2204 for dirt. Or any of the cool ENGL / Bogner / Soldano variations. Use the money you saved to sit in the room with him and your guitar and cab and swap cap and resistor values until it kills.