If you were going to build a new DAW today...

Shredfiend

Sep 2, 2004
knowing what you know from past experiences.........what would you buy.

Software Package, PC/Mac, Interface(persaonaly I only need 2 inputs,I'll be tracking drums on a 2480), Software for programing sequenced drums(very important), possibly some virtual amp software for guitars and bass.

it totally, completely, depends on how many tracks you need to get down at a time, and what sort of budget you're working with

I'll mostly be tracking one, possibly 2 tacks at once. That's why I'm keeping the 2480.....so I can record drum tracks at a friends. Budget, Maybe $2000-$4000....mainly not concerend about the cost.....just everybody's experince with what they've used and bought and what they'd buy if they started over.

(DAW is just software, not the computer) - and if you've got that kind of budget, definitely some kind of Mac (I feel Macs are great for those who can afford them, but there's so much awesome free/cheap software for PC that I stick to that)

Oh come on guys, we've been through this already :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Workstation:

"The term "DAW" simply refers to a general combination of audio multitrack software and high-quality audio hardware — the latter being a specialized audio converter unit which performs some variety of analog-to-digital (ADC) and/or digital-to-analog (DAC) signal conversion."

Wow, can we really stop fucking posting threads about mac/pc shit?

~006

When I think Workstaion.....DAW......I would think of the whole package....regardless......A workstation is something physical.....not a bunch of ones and zero's.

As far as arguing Mac/PC, that's not why I posted this.....It's more about with everyones experience and good and bad purchases.....what would people buy and how would they spend their money.

now lets stay on topic.....

i would buy all my own components, build my own pc

i'd probably go quadcore again, with 4 gigs of ram, but i'd up the bus

i'd probably go ALL sata drives, 320 gigs each, and plenty of external sata for drive swapping.

i'd go 2 new uad cards, and silent geforce video card again (no fans!)

then i'd do probably 2 rme fireface 800's.

If you're using the 2480 you should check out the V-Fire so you can use the 2480 as you're audio interface. Not to mention it will make transferring the tracks for back up to your Pc/Mac a snap. There are tons of DAW software out there, just pick the one that is best for you and your budget.