A new DAW - Presonus Studio One

kramer1309

Apr 30, 2008
India
http://www.presonus.com/products/SoftwareDetail.aspx?SoftwareId=11

Presonus WebSite said:
Studio One is a groundbreaking music creation and production application for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista that makes audio recording, MIDI sequencing, and audio mastering ridiculously simple right out of the box, yet provides a wealth of professional features.

Fresh code, innovative drag-and-drop MIDI mapping and plug-in management, auto-configuration with PreSonus hardware, insanely good audio quality, unlimited tracks and plug-ins per track, and a powerful, inventive Start page that literally puts the whole project right in your hands are just a few of the compelling features that make Studio One the next generation in audio software. Far from just another music-production program, Studio One changes the rules of the game, giving you a complete, easy-to-use solution from raw tracks to finished master, while supporting the latest standards and technologies.

Features:
* Elegant single-window work environment
* Powerful drag-and-drop functionality
* Unlimited audio tracks, MIDI tracks, virtual instruments, buses, and FX channels
* Content browser with convenient sort options and preview player
* Integrated mastering solution with automatic mix updating, waveform editing, effects, Red Book CD burning, and digital release
* Automatic delay compensation
* Advanced automation
* 64-bit processing (even on 32-bit machines)
* Easy-to-use sidechain routing
* Awe-inspiring 64-bit effects suite
* Stunning virtual instruments
* User-friendly sampler
* Most intuitive MIDI-mapping system available
* Real-time audio timestretching and resampling
* AU, VST2, VST3, and ReWire support
* K System metering
* Gigabytes of inspiring content
* Compatible with any ASIO-, Windows Audio-,or Core Audio-compliant audio interface

presonus_studio_one.jpg

Looks interesting - GUI seems intuitive and it sounds promising, what say guys?

Oh my bad I didn't know we were supposed to turn our clocks back to 3 months ago.

I know it's part of your MO, but there's no reason to be a cunt to the dude just because he wanted to share some information.

I'm still hanging on this release a lot. I see it as my potential salvation from the pit of Steinturd. I have to say though the more I look at those UI shots, the more the general layout reminds me of Nuendo, which is deeply frightening.

I just really really really hope this will be a viable alternative to ProTools.

I read on the net that this was developed by the guys who did nuendo and cubase, so thats where the look may be coming from. Also, they said that this has a freshly coded audio engine so maybe it isn't as bad as what people believe nuendo to be (i wouldn't know, haven't used nuendo).
Definitely will try this though.

I did a lol @ Jeff's post, I must admit.

I am looking forward to this release, this could be pretty cooool.

I really dig the integrated mastering solution. The concept of a master project where songs would be updated if you modify the mix project of that particular song is a great thing when you discover something needs to be fixed in the mix rather than during the premastering process. Otherwise I feel quite well on reaper.

If this doesn't have a Beat Detective alternative it can just fuck right off!

I'm trying to squeeze that info from one of the Presonus dudes.

So far I can say that it has pre-mapped shortcuts for Cubase, Logic and ProTools users. Big win for me, because I hate custom mapping everything.

They seem to really want to push this thing to the next level. At first it wasn't going to have inserts to use with outboard gear, but once the outrage on GS went crazy they worked to add it in the form of a interface plug-in that does delay compensation and all.

I'd love a Beat Detective clone, but it seems unlikely to feature in the first release. Doesn't seem to be one of their priorities.

i think with all software its going to take a few revisions to get it up to par.

v1 will be released and then users will kick up a stink about it not having features 'x' 'y' and 'z', so the developers will add more stuff, refine other stuff and gradually it will converge to standard. i guess a lot depends on how much of an impact they can have on the existing programs on the market, as there really is SO many.

having logic and pt here, it would really take something for me to fork out on more software.....(considering how happy i am with what I have).

I don't expect this to challenge PTHD upon release. At the very least it can be a viable replacement for us Cubendo users until they add more and more features, gradually matching the industry standard DAWs. It's been in development for over 3 years, so they've had some time to really roll this thing in features.

I'm trying to squeeze that info from one of the Presonus dudes.

So far I can say that it has pre-mapped shortcuts for Cubase, Logic and ProTools users. Big win for me, because I hate custom mapping everything.

They seem to really want to push this thing to the next level. At first it wasn't going to have inserts to use with outboard gear, but once the outrage on GS went crazy they worked to add it in the form of a interface plug-in that does delay compensation and all.

I'd love a Beat Detective clone, but it seems unlikely to feature in the first release. Doesn't seem to be one of their priorities.

Yeah, we've discussed the BD issue extensively in the past on this forum Ermz and I don't think there's much that can be added to what has already been said. But for any new DAW to overlook such a feature is a mistake in my opion, especially when there's a new version of Logic too - Presonus really have their work cut out!
Think I'll stay on track with my plans to buy a PT rig.

Here we go DD, from the horse's mouth:

"We do not have a beat detective style tool...yet. We know that's a big deal...Something like this is very high on the list for an update. You can group edit drums though, and consolidation, exporting, etc is all thoroughly covered."

Here we go DD, from the horse's mouth:

"We do not have a beat detective style tool...yet. We know that's a big deal...Something like this is very high on the list for an update. You can group edit drums though, and consolidation, exporting, etc is all thoroughly covered."

Nice one Ermz! Thanks for the info, you in touch with a dev on the team?
Hearing that it's very high on the list for an update is very positive news alright, shows that they know what tools people really want/need. I never expected it to make it into the initial release anyways.

release is in september some time and the price for the full version will be 399 street according to what i read..
a demo has been released but people seem to be disappointed with it (probably didn't live up to their expectations). I haven't tried the demo yet so will not comment.