Ihsahn - After (2010) featuring Lars K Norberg and Asgeir Mickelson

-Alex-

New Metal Member
Feb 11, 2008
"After", Ihsahn's 3rd album is out. It features Lars K Norberg on bass (who also played bass on his second album, After (2008)], Asgeir Mickelson on drums [who played both on The Adversary (2006) and AngL (2008)] and Jorgen Munkeby on Saxophone.

Any opinions?

IMO Ihsahn shows (if it was still necessary) with this third opus that he is an extroadinery composer, arranger and lyricist. But also a matured artist (a clear goal, an original musical concept), a great guitarist (technique, feeling, riff-master) and truly a versatile vocalist.

If you are into extreme progressive metal you'll most probably dig it.

It contains just about everything... from classical to black metal, from jazz to prog metal from whispering acoustics to 8 string guitar riffing madness, from tech metal orchestrations to a surprisingly efficient saxophone.

Here's some songs that I found on youtube.com:

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm surprised that noone gave this more attention here. i myself after 1.5 years am still floored by the bass lines, especially on austere. lars, didn't you get any praise for that somewhere at least? :) and what do you think of it yourself?

i'm surprised that noone gave this more attention here. i myself after 1.5 years am still floored by the bass lines, especially on austere. lars, didn't you get any praise for that somewhere at least? :) and what do you think of it yourself?

I think After contains some of my best performances, so I’m really glad you enjoy it and appreciate your feedback. Besides from Ihsahn himselves I received some complimenting comments on this performance from Steve DiGiorgio and Erik Aadland. Other than that, it has been very quiet, but getting such encouraging feedback from fellow bass-players really is all you need anyway.

it shouldn't have to be that way :(

but yeah, i first thought my avatar gave me away, but then i noticed it doesn't show in this forum :)

so i got the new one, and it's definitely missing something :( i hope this is just for practical reasons, with touring and all.

didn't know about this song until last week, damn this might just be the best one from the whole album! why the f*** did it end up as a japanese bonus track? and very nice basslines from mr. norberg :)

Last edited by a moderator: