IHSAHN: New Song = 8 string guitars, Mix by Jens Bogren

Clean vocals sound strikingly like Akerfeldt, or is that just me?

imo this is very injustified use of the 8 string, it may be tuned very low, but does not add heaviness or anything; i don't know :s I just can't see the use of it.

imo this is very injustified use of the 8 string, it may be tuned very low, but does not add heaviness or anything; i don't know :s I just can't see the use of it.

I would actually prefer ihsahn using standard tuning, like on the good Emperor stuff

Have you ever heard justified use of an 8 string? I've never heard it where a 7 or even a low tuned 6 wouldn't do just as well. I honestly have never seen anyone use an 8 string in an innovative, musical way besides Tosin Abasi, and he does most of his stuff on a 7 anyways.

So just because you have an 8 string you have to live on the bottom register of the instrument? No thanks, that's what Meshuggah is far if you want that sound. I'd rather listen to a guy who uses the entire range of the guitar instead of just grind out on the lower strings. IMO of course

Not to mention Meshuggah is hardly musical. Innovative, rhythmically challenging, genre-defining, and influential, sure, but not 'musical.'

And seriously, they could do 100% of what they do on a lower tuned 6, if they even need that many strings.

Oh, blow it out your ass you pompous prick.

And yeah they do, for the clean stuff, the chords and the solos. Man....

Not to mention Meshuggah is hardly musical. Innovative, rhythmically challenging, genre-defining, and influential, sure, but not 'musical.'

I should hurt you.

Define "musical." An organised collection of notes? Put together to evoke a specific atmosphere, emotion or something like that?
Meshuggah is music in every sense of the word.

Oh, blow it out your ass you pompous prick.

And yeah they do, for the clean stuff, the chords and the solos. Man....

LOL

I think everyone needs to calm down, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I think the point Jeff is making is that most people don't use the full range of extended range instruments. Actually doing things you wouldn't be able to with out the use of another string. ie Dream Theater's use of 7's (in general) needs the full 7 strings.

While in contrast, the majority of Suicide Silence songs don't need more than 3 strings. This is exemplified by Max Cavalera. Not many bands use the full range of a 6 string guitar either....not to say they have to. But at the same time when you say 7 or 8 string people generally think "OMGZ has to be br00talz".

LOL

I think everyone needs to calm down, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I think the point Jeff is making is that most people don't use the full range of extended range instruments. Actually doing things you wouldn't be able to with out the use of another string. ie Dream Theater's use of 7's (in general) needs the full 7 strings.

While in contrast, the majority of Suicide Silence songs don't need more than 3 strings. This is exemplified by Max Cavalera. Not many bands use the full range of a 6 string guitar either....not to say they have to. But at the same time when you say 7 or 8 string people generally think "OMGZ has to be br00talz".

+1

I think Ihsahn using the full range of an 8 string opens up a lot of doors for his songwriting ability. Yeah, I'd love to hear him blast away some black metal riffs in E Standard, but the dude writes great music regardless if it's black metal or his newer, more progressive style. I'm looking forward to how the rest of the album turns out, sounds great so far.

Unfortunately a boring song.
Like all his solo albums, not memorable.
Wish it wasnt so but its no denying it anymore.
His work with Emperor is much better IMO.

Awesome bassdrum sound though :)