IHSAHN: New Song = 8 string guitars, Mix by Jens Bogren

Damn, the short taster from the album sounds like a mixture of black metal and Mister Bungle, I like it!

I haven't really enjoyed Ihsahn's solo albums as much as his work with Emperor, his solo stuff is a bit over-simplified for what I want to hear from him.

I don't necessarily even want to hear screaming or super-brutal stuff, what I love about his style is his way of arranging guitars. With his solo work his style is more "traditional", with simple harmonies etc.

The new taster does sound promising though!

...the majority of Suicide Silence songs don't need more than 3 strings. This is exemplified by Max Cavalera.

In fairness to Max though, he's only had the lowest four strings on his guitars for the last decade or so.

The whole Meshuggah/8-string argument going on is just silly. There are plenty of bands using 7-strings etc. that don't need the range and just want the lower tuning - Korn could basically get away with the B, low E and high E, they could easily just use a non-standard tuning; Wes Borland used to use a 7 string with two high E strings. Virtually every metal bass player uses a 5-string now, but virtually none of them actually use all 5 strings on a regular basis.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to hearing the Deftones new material - Stephen Carpenter has slowly been tuning lower and adding more strings since they started, but he's always stayed melodic. Whether he carries it off with the 8-string will be interesting.

Anyways, that Ihsahn eh?

Steve

BTW, Max has only had the lowest 4 strings on his guitar for over 25 years now. He readily admits this.
Take a song written on a guitar tuned to 440, try to play the same thing pitched down 2 1/2 steps, and then tell me the pitch/timbre isn't altered.
It doesn't matter what you or I think another band *should* only need for playing a song...if they bought a fucking 8 string to play a song requiring 2 strings, good for them: get over it. I tend to get sick of the attempts to compensate for penis size (or something) because "I use a 7 string, but it's ok because I use ALL 7 of them...I hate people who play 7 strings and only need 1 of them...yugyugyugyugyugyugyugyugyug". Fuck dude...if anything, we should be thanking those fuckers for keeping 7/8/etc string instruments on the market so those of us who like them can still buy them instead of them going out like the dinosaurs.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mES87bucyg&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
Back to the fucking point....