"I'll backup after I have *something* done"...

Mago

Austrian Blech Machine
Aug 21, 2009
Vienna, Austria
No real a rant here but I'm quite angry at myself for having this kind of "Won't backup now, I'd need to backup again tomorrow anyway because I still have SO much to do".
Basicly long story short: Wanted to to do some awesome reamps through the 6505+ and a very cool custom preamp through the peavey poweramp today, but after 2 hours of moving my whole computer + interface to the rehearsal space, removing 2(!) drumsets of the rehearsal room and setting up everything only to realize that my computer won't turn on after the move :/
Well, thought the power supply of the computer died, so we tried to at least put my harddrive into the other guitar players computer, copy the files and install my soundcard on it to reamp through that setup.
PC doesnt want to see my HD even in bios o_O?
After roughly 10 hours of fucking around, moving things around, only to move them back with nothing done I come to the conclusion:
Fuck myself, because I'm not able to backup my own stuff regulary.
Still to do if I can't rescue the files from the HD (still know 2 guys who are good at it, lets hope for the best^^):
9 Drumstracks having to be programmed AND humanized again.
Vocals for 4 songs: gone.
Having to re-record guitars: 3 songs.
Editing guitars: 9 songs.

Needless to say that I have backups of most of the stuff I did for someone else, but an old-ass one for my bands album.
Fuck myself, I'm a dumb ass.
Always backup people!
Still hope I can rescue at least the album directory tomorrow though^^
at least there was an awesome home-party going on this night :lol:
so the day wasnt full of fail all the way through...does throwing up on the way home count as fail, btw?^^

Man that SUCKS dude... I've learned the hard way to backup daily... but that seems like a lot of shit to have done without ever backing anything up.

Man that SUCKS dude... I've learned the hard way to backup daily... but that seems like a lot of shit to have done without ever backing anything up.

Yeah, basicly I'm dumb for not having done that...putting hours of hours of work into something and not finding it worth to copy the files, even it it takes some time is dumb, and I'm not even that much angry as its my fault.
hell I even KNEW that this HD was one weak mofo, but I still dared to always do a bit more until I'll do the backup (since I dont have mirror backups, or raid controllers, it takes me some hours to "backup" and not having everything double and so on....).
Seems that the last time I did it was about march...I thought it was june, but non the less, most of the work was done within July/August/Sept, so it doesnt matter that much anway. it just sucks that I dared to try.
Anyway, however this turns out, rescued files or not, I'm gonna go for the mirror backing method anyway afterwards.
its not like its the first time something broke and I lost data tough,it just wasnt THAT bad until now :lol:

The only thing that makes me REALLY angry though was that I couldnt do the reamps today, as I was looking forward to it for quite some time since we decided to do it :/
haha, at least we made a pic of the setup before we realized it won't work out today...kind of macabre though

daily backups are cool, but in my case, i try to do that after important sessions, like on day 1 2 3 4 ... of tracking,
than after editing a full song, after the final mix is done, afteer mastering etc.
but yeah, i know tons of people that never ever do backups. i mean its even important for the regular user,
think about all the word documents you have flying around that might be important in the future.

a cool way of doing backups with cubase is "file>save backup" option. really easy and fast.
its no big deal after a 10 hour editing day to click that option and wait another 5 minutes.

You're not on your computer 24 hours a day (hopefully...) so set some extra time aside for an automated backup. If you have a big drive on your home machine, automated rsync (along with whatever your DAW provides) is a no-brainer.

Jeff

As it seems I have even more luck than I am dumb^^
My dad fixed the Hardware error (at least temporally as it seems), various checkdisk&sector-recovery run throughs SEEMS to have fixed the data structure...so now I have 2 copies of the *hopefully* "fixed" drive...it didnt look good at some points (drive didnt even get ready for booting, after a day of fixing this the data structure on it was anything but stable and complete), but now I'm quite convident that most of the data should be safe.
Everything is visible on various systems, but I have to take a look at every file to know if those are damaged or not, but at least theres something I can take a look at :lol:

however, that lesson was learned the hard way. I allready got myself another drive for backup only, and when I set up the new system drive I'll take a day off and re-organize all my stuff to be able to do a simple 100% copy of everthing, 2 times - 1 intern and another one extern.
Now I have enough space/drives to go the no-brainer way, as JBroll said :)
Thanks for the support btw guys hahaha

@ Anssi and Dani: Holy Diver looks good, I think I had a backup of it anyway.

So, not to be happy too soon, but I think I got off cheaply this time around.