Im fucked

Everybody

Hail Santa
Mar 31, 2009
SC
I have to take 5 classes per semester and keep A's and B's to keep my scholarship (full ride at community college)

I just found out today that Im being dropped from my online english class.

I missed 2 assignments (discussions) in there so far..and assignments count as (being in class) so Im guessing thats the reason. Only reason I didnt do them is because I wasnt familiar with the online yet, but I guess thats my fault.

So now idk what this is going to be, withdraw passing, withdraw failing, F..

Either way my ass is about to get torn up by my parents, and I could lose my scholarship.

I fucking hate mondays.

dude. I feel for you. I have to be full time at my local community college as well to maintain my scholarship status. In fact, I am getting money back for going to school. After the 2 years, I'll have about 7 thousand dollars saved up to transfer to UCF. I have a cake schedule this semester. Accounting II, Am. Hist. II, Philosophy (online), Earth Science (online). I only have class 3 days out of the week and have time to write and record all the rest of the days. lol. I work a job too, but its easy. But I am sorry about your deal, man. I have almost been dropped from my scholarship too, but I somehow squeaked by. I know your pressure. Hopefully everything works out.

Sucks for you dude, but all classes clearly state the requirements in the syllabus so you knew what you had to do... and you didn't, but usually if you drop before the midway point in the semester it won't count towards your gpa

Didn't you have due dates for the online assingments?

Also, did you find a part time job yet? I remember you asking about that in another thread. If so/if not, shouldn't be too difficult to keep that GPA! I let my GPA slip during my first couple semesters and it bit me in the ass in the end. I was working full time and was dead tired to do my homework when I got home during the night shift.

Point being, utilize the free time while you have it! I wish I had that time during school! Also, I know weekend homework sucks, but if you take a few hours each morning to finish it up, you should be able to keep the GPA, eh?

What is your major/which classes are you taking?

-Joe

Oh, and I banged out a whole semester online in the summer. Man, our online classes were a joke, but a blessing for me. I would have had to take a whole semester over during the year.

-Joe

Talk to an administrator at the school, and let them know you're situation. Focus on how you didn't understand the online part, and also throw in the scholarship issue.

I ran into a similar situation with my girlfriend (though she didn't do the assignment out of forgetfulness) and she still got to stay in the class.

Best of luck!

Ugghh, I honestly really enjoy being in class and learning, but I fucking despise outside-of-class work, simply because it invades on my free time - I guess all I can say is hang in there and stick with it dude, at least you're going to a community college so you have the option of taking the 2-year degree and leaving it at that, rather than 4-or-nothing! I got my BS this past May but haven't been able to find a job in my field (Land Use Planning), and have just started going to my local CC for a 1-year Certificate (or maybe 2-year Associate's) in something completely different (Computer Science/Programming/Networking, have yet to decide which), and I dunno, that's left me kinda bitter about the whole 4-year thing - if I could do it again, I think I'd just go for some sort of 2-year degree designed to give you relevant job skills (they call it an Associate's of Applied Science here), rather than going for the whole academic route!

Ugghh, I honestly really enjoy being in class and learning, but I fucking despise outside-of-class work, simply because it invades on my free time - I guess all I can say is hang in there and stick with it dude, at least you're going to a community college so you have the option of taking the 2-year degree and leaving it at that, rather than 4-or-nothing! I got my BS this past May but haven't been able to find a job in my field (Land Use Planning), and have just started going to my local CC for a 1-year Certificate (or maybe 2-year Associate's) in something completely different (Computer Science/Programming/Networking, have yet to decide which), and I dunno, that's left me kinda bitter about the whole 4-year thing - if I could do it again, I think I'd just go for some sort of 2-year degree designed to give you relevant job skills (they call it an Associate's of Applied Science here), rather than going for the whole academic route!

I kind of agree, but am more inclined to think that it has much to do with your major. I majored in history, and what a useless degree it is for me unless I want to be a teacher (no thanks). I was a business major and switched...worst idea ever.

Not to offend anyone, but for me liberal arts degrees are pretty useless unless you want to be pigeon holed into one particular career. Even then the job market seems pretty nil, and the pay that goes along with a job related to the major usually blows.

If I wasn't such a lazy bastard in high school (maintained a great GPA, but took no AP classes), I would have taken more math and gone into engineering or something similar.

The specialized, more focused technical degrees, seem to be the most diverse and financially rewarding when it comes to looking for a full time job.

I'd say that a lot of the liberal arts programs at schools exist purely for profit, and man, some of the people in my classes, were...how do I say this nicely...dumber than fucking rocks.

-Joe

Yeah, I hear ya Joe - I was hoping that because my field was a bit more specialized and I had my internship at the Westchester County Dept. of Planning in Summer '08 I'd have a bit better luck, but apparently a Master's is all but required, and the thought of grad school (meaning, the majority of work being outside-of-class reading and papers) truly makes me sick to my stomach :ill:

I think I'd just go for some sort of 2-year degree designed to give you relevant job skills (they call it an Associate's of Applied Science here), rather than going for the whole academic route!

This I can definitely agree with if said person is literally looking for a stable career! Hell, some kids I grew up with that went into manual labor jobs like masonry, roofing, paving, were making for than I was three years ago, right out of high school lol.

I guess my point is, I wish I was more focused coming out of high school, into college. My parents were pretty lax about the whole thing, which was good and bad. They didn't quite grasp how important my major would be, therefore I became complacent.

I hear a lot of parents/teachers/advisors say "well, any college is good college." Er, not really IMO. For the amount spent on my degree, coupled with taking a tonnnn of really useless Gen Eds that were easier than high school, I'd say i strongly disagree!

Alright, back on topic. Rant over...:loco:

-Joe

Yeah, I hear ya Joe - I was hoping that because my field was a bit more specialized and I had my internship at the Westchester County Dept. of Planning in Summer '08 I'd have a bit better luck, but apparently a Master's is all but required, and the thought of grad school (meaning, the majority of work being outside-of-class reading and papers) truly makes me sick to my stomach :ill:

Sorry to hear it man, because that does indeed sound like an interesting program that you were in!

You know what, I think grad school sounds sickening to you now because you graduated relatively recently. When you finally find something and hit the peak of your paygrade, you might be more motivated to go back for a masters. It's more or less proven that you will make more with a master's degree.

I've been thinking about this like crazy lately. Law school/master's in accounting/become a cop/join the army. I'm 25 and still very much confused lol!

I remember you mentioning a while back that you would be happy with making enough to be comfortable, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a huge salary. I agree with this for sure, but when I actually add up what I make after taxes, and realize that I want to move out very soon, I'm gonna need to make a significant amount more to make it happen!

I don't care about being a rich bastard as long as I can pay rent/mortgage, put food on the table, and have money for cool toys like guitars now and then.

:headbang:

-Joe

thanks for the support, i can always count on the sneap forum when im down =] haha

yea im not blaming the teacher for my mistakes, but she could have setup the class better.

all my online classes have a homepage thing for the class. and on the sidebar it tells you when stuff is due, and when an assignment is opened. Well this class didnt so I figured nothing was coming up. Then after a week of not seeing anything I thought it was weird and sure enough, when i started clicking everything in her homepage I found where the homework stuff was due and shit and found out I was already late on an assignment and shit so yeaaa.

man even with this class out of the way, im still to damn busy for a job! Im prob gonna try to get a summer part time job though. (even tho im taking 2 summer classes)

Im majoring in web design

well my college course is going to shit and im not sure i care anymore
FREEDOM MOTHERFUCKERS
IT TASTES OF PIZZA, PEPSI, PS3 AND HASHISH

I just finished my Masters last October. I won't say it was easy, but it wasn't that hard for me. It was just a damn lot of reading and writing, I wrote several 20 page papers and my final dissertation/project was over 50 pages

You've got to be a great bullshitter if you're going to go on and get a Masters

Yeah I did that last semester as well. I have no idea how it was possible. I had the two Nazis of my department as teachers. It was allll fucked up.

I did so terrible on my POLSCI test today I'm prob gonna have to drop it. I fucking dread history/political classes because that's something that has always been incredibly unimportant and uninteresting to me.

I'm just so unmotivated for college mainly because I don't know my major so everything feels pointless and there are no classes I go to that I actually have interest in.

I really hate classes that rely 100% on tests and if you do bad you are destined to fail. I'm a shit test taker.

Hate to sound like an asshole, but... well, we know I can't help it. Universities and students have different definitions of 'free time' - in technical things the general rule of thumb was 2-3+ hours of outside study for every hour of lecture, and as outside study time decreased so did quality of students, and then quality of classes, and then students' motivation to do well in a shit class, and then... well, over time this just degenerated into an orgy of decreasing expectations on both sides, and student quality fell to match. Can't say anything about which of those two started first, but it doesn't matter now because so many expect a degree to be handed over after they've sat through a few classes...

This changes, of course, when you go for a degree like Land Use Planning or study at an overglorified trade school that promises one job in one field until robots can do it better, but when you go into one of those you know that you'll be pigeonholed into something. I can't say that I'd be surprised about disillusionment with a degree like that.

Jeff