I need a job. (rant/need helpful advice)

Everybody

Hail Santa
Mar 31, 2009
SC
So a couple/few years ago I worked at a movie theater, and it wasnt to bad, I got minimum wage (oh well) but most of the people I worked with were reletively nice, sometimes let you go early, got free popcorn and drink, and cared about you to a degree.

I had to quit though because (I was still in highschool at this time) Regal bought out whatever other company it was and changed all the shifts. So now instead of working 6-5 hours shifts max, I was being required to work 7-8 shifts min. Now I didnt want to do this, nor did I have time. So I had to quit.

Since then, I havent had a new job. I graduated highschool a year early, and am at my 2nd semester and community college now.

Basically Im realizing how much I need a job recently.

My recording computer HDD crapped out. Bought a new HDD (1TB Western Digital) only to realize my motherboard doesnt support it...so I have to get a new comp. Plus I need some good monitoring headphones because the only free time I have on occasion is after 9...when my dads asleep in the next room over. PLUS I wanted to get acoustic panels built for the longest time...but money is too short for any of these.

Sure I CAN afford some of this...but my bank account is at $500, and I dont want to spend it on my studio which makes no money back and gets me nowhere essentially.

Anyways.......

I go to college fulltime to keep my scholarship. (15 hours)
I have to do 10 hours a week of chores at my house.
and I have a girlfriend of almost a year.
This is my weekly schedule.

Mon -

10:00-12:00 HW, Chores
12:00-2:30 Class
2:30-3:30 Chores, Eat
3:30-9:00 Girlfriend Day
9:30-12:00 HW, Chores, Eat

Tues -

10:30-1:30 Class
1:30-3:30 HW, Chores, Eat
3:30-6:30 Class
6:30-9:00 Eat, Hang with fam, Chores, Relax
9:00-12:00 HW

Wed - (same as Mon)

12:00-2:30 Class
2:30-3:30 Chores, Eat
3:30-9:00 Girlfriend Day
9:30-12:00 HW, Chores, Eat

Thurs -

10:30-1:30 Class
1:30-3:30 HW, Chores, Eat
3:30-12:00 Friend Trent sleeps over, we play vid games all day, I do HW and Chores still though.

Fri -

11:00-3:30 HW, Chores, Eat (MAYBE workout)
3:30-10:00 Girlfriend
10:00-12:00 HW

Sat -

All day hang out with my girlfriend basically.

Sun -

Morning-10:00 Girlfriend

Now I know I can deffinitely give up some GF time and Trent time to work a job, but I dont want my life to be SCHOOL, HW, CHORES, JOB, GF, REPEAT.

I like my down time, I like relaxing, I like spending time with friends, and I like the feeling of not being rushed.

What Im asking isssss...(Americans) Where and what can I do for work, that is capable of verrrrrrry flexible work hours and schedules, decent pay, and arent assholes?

Heres shifts I possibly could work:

Thurs: 2:00-6:00
Fri: 12:00-4:00
Sat: 11:00-3:00
Sun: 11:00-3:00

(hopefully I wouldnt have to work everyday of the weekend)

Im not looking to make a living or anything..just so I can have enough money to pay for little things I want here and there. Yaknow?

Im 18 so I should be able to work at a fair amount of places. I live in South Carolina and I believe minimum wage is $7.25(?) so thats not bad. (used to be $6.25 when I worked a couple years ago)

Any thoughts? Anybody had this same kinda prob and found a job that was understanding?

Im really sorry this is so long, I just needed to get it outta my head.

Thanks to anyone that takes a stab at this hah.

- Forget about acoustic treatment. Buy a pair of headphones. I recommend Audio Technica ATH-M50's, because they're relatively cheap but awesome.

- Stop seeing your gf as much. It can't be but good. You'll get time to do stuff and eventually you guys might enjoy each others' company even more.

- You do a shitload of chores. How could you ever move away from home, if you don't have time to work to make the money you need to move away? You could ask this from your parents.

Well the only reason I have to do so many chores is because I DONT have a job, they said when I get one, I dont have to do anything but the occasional bag garbage, vacuum, etc.

Agree with the headphones, I think they would benefit me the most with my money and time. (not going to use them as my main source of mixing though dont worry)

and yea I figured I spend to much time with my girlfriend (even though honestly after 10 months, it really doesnt feel like we hang out that much) and yea I think after she sees im getting some cash flow and being responsible shell like it. hopefully us not seeing eachother as much will make when we do see eachother more valuable.

Yeah man, me and my ex used to see like every day, you really get used to it after it's been on for a long time.

Now I feel like I have all the time in the world :lol:

It would be rare to find a job that will hire you only to work 4 hours shifts. My suggestion would be for you stop being so pussy whipped and find a job that will be willing to accommodate your school schedule. Everything else that is on that schedule of yours could be cut out for work. Srsly.

ADD: Have you even looked for a part time job? Put any time into this at all? Many part time jobs are accommodating for school.

and you say your don't want the same monotonous schedule... well after you finish school, it will be:
WORK, GF, SLEEP. REPEAT.

Welcome to the real word, where monotony reigns supreme.

The "classics" for students around here are jobs at supermarkets (counter/inventory) and fast food places. The most sought after are assistant jobs at the university itself though. Don't know if they take student assistants at your college...

Edit: I was actually in a similar position, even though I had already moved out (thank god). I interned at a radio station for half a year and they offered me a job as weekend host. I can choose when to work, so that's extremely convenient for touring etc. too.

So, an internship might get there too. It might be a long shot though.

See if there are work study jobs at your school. The money will suck but the hours are notoriously flexible.
My other suggestion is to make your girlfriend do your chores.

Oh hah:) I was like shit..what an ass lol

I just meant I dont need a something thousand a year job cause im still livin at home for a while.

Well the only reason I have to do so many chores is because I DONT have a job, they said when I get one, I dont have to do anything but the occasional bag garbage, vacuum, etc.

dude your a fully grown man, tell them to get fucked - fuck chores - we were all abused enough as children washing dishes and vacuuming and shit, fuck doing it at this age.

go and get a voluntary job - it would be more interesting then Chores

incase you haven't noticed I FUCKING HATE CHORES!

Well cutting the girlfriend out of the pic isnt really an option haha, but im willing to cut down my time with her.

My parents arent mean or anything, they just want to intimidate me to get a job haha.

What does a work study job at school have you doing??

and whats a temp agency?

how do you deal with having such a strictly timetabled life?
if i dont have at least 4 days in a week where i have no idea what im doing other than going to class i freak

and no i dont have anything else to add.
haaa

and what happens if you spend half an hour too long fucking your girl? does your entire week get raped then?

how do you deal with having such a strictly timetabled life?
if i dont have at least 4 days in a week where i have no idea what im doing other than going to class i freak

and no i dont have anything else to add.
haaa

and what happens if you spend half an hour too long fucking your girl? does your entire week get raped then?

+1 to awesome inquisitiveness

My girl tries that schedule shit all the time with me "be here at 8 pm"...9:15 rolls around and i casually stroll through the front door just to spite her

OP- be a waiter or something that should hold you over a little bit

just wake up and figure out what your doing that day - having a schedule is too hard because if you start missing shit you fuck up your entire day - go with the flow bro! and take acid too... it'll make the adventure more... "wacky"

Where and what can I do for work, that is capable of verrrrrrry flexible work hours and schedules, decent pay, and arent assholes?

doesn't exist, sorry

you might get 2 out of 3, but finding a job that satisfies those requirements is what most adults strive for and often never achieve

if you're serious about getting a job while being in school, you're going to have to sacrifice a lot of time that you spend with your g/f, buddies, and family - it sucks, but that's just how shit goes. i've gotten to the point now that i rarely see any of my friends outside of work...but i work so much, and am so tired when i'm at home, that i don't even really care anymore.

dude your a fully grown man, tell them to get fucked - fuck chores - we were all abused enough as children washing dishes and vacuuming and shit, fuck doing it at this age.

go and get a voluntary job - it would be more interesting then Chores

incase you haven't noticed I FUCKING HATE CHORES!

i dunno if i agree with all that...if you're living in a household and making no financial contributions, then cleaning some shit up and taking care of things is the least one can do

i had a broke-ass friend who once lived with me for like 3 mos. when he didn't have a job, and that dude cleaned the fuck out of my apartment for me regularly...it sort of sucked that he had no $$ to pay rent, but i told him that i didn't care so much if all my dishes/laundry/trash/whatever were taken care of when i came home

i dunno if i agree with all that...if you're living in a household and making no financial contributions, then cleaning some shit up and taking care of things is the least one can do

i had a broke-ass friend who once lived with me for like 3 mos. when he didn't have a job, and that dude cleaned the fuck out of my apartment for me regularly...it sort of sucked that he had no $$ to pay rent, but i told him that i didn't care so much if all my dishes/laundry/trash/whatever were taken care of when i came home

hey, i dont live like a fucking slob - i live at home, if i see the dishwasher needs to be filled or emptied i'll do it. the moment my parents start ordering me to do it is a different story.

they know that i contribute to my household - thats why im not asked to do chores around - and at the end of the day this dude is living with his parents right? is his house a workplace where he MUST do this and that like an army camp? is his house a HOTEL where he must pay rent and shit? on that note im jobless at the moment most of the time due to the recession (lost my job) but any time i get a bit of cash i give it to my family or ill buy that weeks food or whatever. im not forced or asked to pay for stuff. thats how i like it and i feel like im being responsible by doing so

fuck that - if you do shit you wont be asked to do shit, obviously then either this lads's parents are hitlers offspring or else he (in the past) done nothing around the house

the moment orders are brought out by a family that "this must be done by this specific time etc" thats what ticks me off

If you are good at dealing with people, get a job as a waiter at some casual dining restaurant like Applebee's, Chili's, O'Charley's, Logan's Roadhouse, Outback Steakhouse, IHOP, etc...
I've only worked as a cook/prep in places like that because I don't want to deal with people, but those that can make good money waiting tables.

You are going to have to sacrifice a hell of a lot if you want to get money.

Judging by your schedule, Thurs.-Sun. night you are basically spending with your girl, or with your buddy, or doing chores...which shouldn't take too long anyway.

As everyone already said: Get a waitering job these nights, or better yet, a bartending job. I was a waiter for three years, and if you work at the right place in the right spot, you will make awesome cash. Ask a friend, go to small hole-in-the-wall places, or nice restaurants, ask if they need people these days. You will have to cut some girlfriend and video game time, but you need to work as well.

Seriously, waitering and/or bartending are the perfect jobs for students. I've been there man and if you don't mind dealing with people's mundane bullshit, and want some seriously quick cash in hand, do it.

You can also try out valet parking at a nice place. I did this for a while too. It's really not too bad. The place I was at was an uber high-end banquet hall, and I had to run my ass off at times, but the customer interaction is literally for like ten secons lol. No prolonged bullshitting with customers.

-Joe