I'm in the Navy!

He's not saying there aren't any gays in the military...he's saying that one branch calling another branch gay is stupid. I've worked with several gay people in the military...trust me, even if it's "don't ask don't tell", it's still pretty obvious. Still, none of us cared because when yer in a ditch eating sand and ducking mortars, the sexual preference of the guy or girl who could very well save your life is the last thing on your mind.

Already got cable and internet. Air Force dorms are single-occupant adjoining rooms who share a bathroom and a kitchenette. They were like nice hotel rooms, but instead of the door to the next person's room, there was a kitchenette and a bathroom in another room by itself. On the other side of that room there was the door to your suitemate's room.

Seriously, our dorm rooms were nicer than some people's apartments.

Good christ, did you get personal ball washers with that?

Those guys in the ground forces get shafted.

In garrison that is. Downrange you shit in an outhouse, sleep in a big tent, and shower in communal showers; although the showers are really a bunch of single stalls crammed together with shower curtains.

But when you go TDY (temporary duty), like when I went to Poland for a few weeks for NATO Air Meet, we slept in hotels and had complimentary international breakfast every morning.

Good christ, did you get personal ball washers with that?

Those guys in the ground forces get shafted.

Not really. Do you want the Marine Corps to sleep in hotels? Not at all...or else they wouldn't be Marines. The groundpounders NEED to have a shitty life because they'll fight better.

I've always said that AF is the way to go, that it's the best quality of life. We're not bullet sponges, so they treat you like a human being.

EDIT: Again, however, that's in garrison. When you deploy to the desert, you eat shit just like everyone else. It's just that the shit tastes a little better b/c AF bases have better food and amenities. You may still sleep in a tent, but it's nicely air conditioned. When I had my single night off per week, I'd go to the rec center and play Counterstrike on the LAN, play pool, watch a bunch of movies (we had twin big screen tvs with DVDs you could check out and watch, like a mini theater). It wasn't a bad place to get stuck in when they start lobbing rockets and mortars.

Yep. When I was there in 2004, there wasn't much delineation between bases...Army and AF were on the same base in Balad, even though it was an air base. Every night you'd hear the paladins sending out counterfire and have to wonder for a second was the sound outgoing or incoming. Sometimes you'd tell yourself it was outgoing even when it was incoming, hehe.

Um, yes they do give you a secure job. You just have to tell them, "I want this job...I don't care when the class date is, or if I have to wait a year for it. I want this job or I'm not joining."

Then they'll give you a contract stating that in the unlikely event that job falls through, you have the option to either get out honorably or pick another job. No strings attached, no questions asked. It's in your contract.

They tell you that they can't secure you a job so they can stick you where they need the most people. Army doesn't do that because they need numbers all over the place.

The main difference between the Army and the AF is that your base skill is infantry in the Army. If you're a veterinarian in the Army, they can pull you from that duty and stick you in infantry to support troop levels. In the AF, if you're an Air Traffic Controller or jet engine mechanic, they can't make you do anything that's not your job. This is why they tell you that they can't offer you a secure job placement because they have to fill numbers in specific AFSCs.

So are you saying you enlisted in the Army because you believed your AF recruiter? Sorry, but you got screwed. You should've talked to someone in the AF beforehand...that is, if you don't like the Army. I know lots of people who prefer the Army over the AF, and I can even see why. The AF has gotten so bureaucratic lately that the mission comes second and queepy, superfluous bullshit comes first these days.

I've been reading reports from people that are in the Navy that wherever you're stationed, you usually get your own room, as you stated with the Air Force. I don't exactly see how one's job in the military couldn't be a permanent job... You go to school specifically to learn the tasks needed for the job before you even get deployed. *shrugs*

Well this is the army that targets disaffected and impoverished youth with recruitment campaigns, so it's probably right to be suspicious of anything they tell you during recruitment.

Um, yes they do give you a secure job. You just have to tell them, "I want this job...I don't care when the class date is, or if I have to wait a year for it. I want this job or I'm not joining."

Then they'll give you a contract stating that in the unlikely event that job falls through, you have the option to either get out honorably or pick another job. No strings attached, no questions asked. It's in your contract.

They tell you that they can't secure you a job so they can stick you where they need the most people. Army doesn't do that because they need numbers all over the place.

The main difference between the Army and the AF is that your base skill is infantry in the Army. If you're a veterinarian in the Army, they can pull you from that duty and stick you in infantry to support troop levels. In the AF, if you're an Air Traffic Controller or jet engine mechanic, they can't make you do anything that's not your job. This is why they tell you that they can't offer you a secure job placement because they have to fill numbers in specific AFSCs.

So are you saying you enlisted in the Army because you believed your AF recruiter? Sorry, but you got screwed. You should've talked to someone in the AF beforehand...that is, if you don't like the Army. I know lots of people who prefer the Army over the AF, and I can even see why. The AF has gotten so bureaucratic lately that the mission comes second and queepy, superfluous bullshit comes first these days.

Well from what I understood in the AF was the same as the marines, you sign a contract with a specific job, but if they need you somewhere else you go that way--after Basic/bootcamp whatever it's called for you guys...and that's not what I wanted, I didn't want to enlist and not have it set in stone, and so far i've gotten what I signed up for in the Army. It's good livin' right now though, and I wouldn't mind getting a lot of combat training options that I couldnt really get in the AF

I've been reading reports from people that are in the Navy that wherever you're stationed, you usually get your own room, as you stated with the Air Force. I don't exactly see how one's job in the military couldn't be a permanent job... You go to school specifically to learn the tasks needed for the job before you even get deployed. *shrugs*

Everyone gets their own room basically once you get stationed, I can't speak for non army deployments but im pretty sure you will never see combat and don't have to worry about being a door kicker instead of a gunner's mate or whatever that is

Well from what I understood in the AF was the same as the marines, you sign a contract with a specific job, but if they need you somewhere else you go that way--after Basic/bootcamp whatever it's called for you guys...and that's not what I wanted, I didn't want to enlist and not have it set in stone, and so far i've gotten what I signed up for in the Army. It's good livin' right now though, and I wouldn't mind getting a lot of combat training options that I couldnt really get in the AF

This is true, but like I said, you have the option of getting out if you don't get your job. If you go in with a guaranteed job, it's written on your contract that the AF will honor their agreement with you and that job, but if there is no space available for your class date, they will give you the option to either choose another job or get out of the military. I knew several people in basic training who chose to get out because the AF didn't have the class date for them, rather than choosing another job.

Sometimes they'll put you on KP or other bullshit details until a class date opens up for you. You have to really work the system; the military is run exactly like a big business and you have to be shrewd.

Will, what we were talking about is that sometimes even if you go in with a job, say, Gunner's Mate, sometimes they over-recruit for certain jobs and they have to put you somewhere. The thing is, they WANT you to choose another job because they'll stick you where they need you. They DON'T want you to get out because they've spent lots of money on you, even if you're just in Basic Training, so they usually don't tell you about those little clauses because most people are like, "Duuuuuuhhhh yuuuhhh, mmmmohkaey, yuk yuk" and they don't realize that they can really fuck the government. YOU ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE, DON'T FORGET THAT. READ EVERYTHING EXTREMELY WELL, AND ASK THESE QUESTIONS. If you have a signed agreement with the military about your guaranteed job, THEY ARE YOUR BITCH, AND SMACK THEM AROUND AS MUCH AS YOU NEED TO. It's just getting that agreement that takes a little finagling.

In the AF, there is a thing called OPEN GENERAL, which is like playing wheel of fortune with your career. It's basically saying, "Hai gais!!! I don't care where you put me, just lemme be in the Air Farce!" and they stick you wherever. I actually went into Open General because I chose not to go in with a guaranteed job and take my chances. I was really lucky that my job was one of the coolest in the entire AF, but you can't bet on luck.

Apologies for the long-winded response, but I'm just trying to help. One last thing that is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER FOR YOUR ENTIRE CAREER:

DO NOT LISTEN TO HEARSAY FROM PEOPLE IN THE MILITARY, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO ARE IN THE PERSONNEL SECTOR!

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ASK TO SEE THE REGULATION.

There are regulations for EVERYTHING in the military. If something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.

Yeah dude, the Navy has really upped its quality of life lately. The Air Force was the first branch to really embrace the quality of life and the rest of the services are just now starting to catch on. By now it should be better even than a few years ago.