I'm just not getting this at all...

i agree, i love Savatage don't get me wrong, but i do think they are one of the most overrated bands on this board. again, not being a hater just an interesting thing i noted here.

like i love the early years, but i cannot stand the Zack era at all. so that is always a blemish on their career for me.

although nothing rocks harder than Power Of The Night!

At least you didn't say "Fight For The Rock":headbang:

However, if you want to say they're generic, that's a different animal. And attempting to turn it around and put the onus on me to prove they're not is unfair, for two reasons. To begin, you made the original statement. It's on you to back it up. And second, I can't prove Mastodon isn't generic, as it's impossible to prove a negative.

Zod

Basically, Mastodon's sound sounds like any other garage band, with shoddy production, making racket/noise...well in the garage. :lol: I'm not sure how much more of a definition of generic I can give to you. This is simply how I hear it, nothing more, nothing less.

~Brian~

Basically, Mastodon's sound sounds like any other garage band, with shoddy production, making racket/noise...well in the garage. :lol: I'm not sure how much more of a definition of generic I can give to you. This is simply how I hear it, nothing more, nothing less.

~Brian~

shoddy production? really? i would have never guessed a producer like Brenden O'Brien (whose production credits can be viewed HERE but in short, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Killswitch Engage, etc etc etc etc) would allow his name to be put on a record with crappy production, especially his own knob twiddling.

first, i think you need to separate and put a beast like Mastodon into their OWN world. the don't require crystal clear production because it doesn't suit their music. they are earthy and thunderous and love thin lizzy. so why would they want to sound like a million bucks and slicked out like the latest Sonata Arctica or Kamelot?! they shouldn't and never will.

again, you may not like it, but to say something isn't good because their production doesn't fit into the mold of what you would want to hear is kind of shallow. not meaning it as a put down, but i may not like certain bands but i can respect what they are doing and understand how they are pushing things in new and difference directions.

but back to the "generic" comment. there is NO BAND that sounds like Mastodon and does what they do, sure many have come along since their rise to sound like them but Mastodon lead the charge.

i would save "generic" for bands (enjoyed on this board) like Kamelot, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, etc because to the average listener they would all sound the same, whereas Mastodon sound like no other band, which to me is as far from generic as a band can get whether you like their style or not. again, i am a fan of all three bands i just mentioned so save the hate. well, their old stuff not the new stuff.

again, my opinions.
:headbang:

~Brian~

Are you sure you were listening to the right CD?

~Brian~

:OMG:

Check 'dis out!
Really cool cover they did a while back. Not a song many metal bands can pull off this well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Leviathan and Blood Mountain but I could not get into Crack the Skye. Not sure why but it never clicked. I probably should listen to it again. They are ranked high in my book alone for the song they did for the opening of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie.