I'm new to Saxon

saxon metal

Chief
Aug 8, 2005
Finland
Greetings, Eagles of Metal!

I'm a 25-year old metal maniac hailing from Finland.

I've been listening to heavy metal and hard rock since autumn 1990, so I've been around for a while.

I love all kinds of heavy metal and hard rock. I especially like the old school of legendary bands of heavy metal, more specifically the ones representing the best of British Heavy Metal: Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motörhead. American Heavy Metal is absolutely best when listening to DIO. Ozzy and BLS rule as well. German Heavy Metal is also my favorite stuff: AccepT, U.D.O., Scorpions, etc.

I've always known that Saxon is one of the all-time best legends of NWOBHM but for reasons due to the huge amount of different kinds of metal music I've been indulging, I've never had the focus of including Saxon among my discography...until now.

This spring, I listened (and watched) the magnificent track "Princess Of The Night" from the album DENIM AND LEATHER (1981). I was totally and absolutely blown away, what great HEAVY METAL this is! And what a great loss it has been that I've not listened to Saxon before, even though I've always known (from my friend) that Saxon is one of the best...Well, I guess it's never too late to discover a band this good!

As I've read different track lists of different albums, compilations and live shows, I understand this track and the album itself are some of the most legendary Saxon pieces around. "Princess Of the Night" is a one helluva heavy metal song - that's for sure - but it seems that it's also one of the most famous and popular tracks of Saxon. After all, the year 1981 saw the emergence of many great heavy metal albums: "Point Of Entry" from Judas Priest, "Killers" from Iron Maiden, "Mob Rules" from Black Sabbath and "Breaker" from Accept. Just to mention few.

So, after listening to only this one track from this album and Saxon as a whole, I know that Saxon will be one of my favorites...soon!

As I write this, other two legendary albums (to my knowledge they are 2 seminal albums of Saxon) "Wheels Of Steel" and "Strong Arm Of The Law" and (the follow-up for the first live release) "Power And The Glory" are coming on my way via mail order, so within a week's time I'll become a Saxon maniac, I'm certain of it! :hotjump:

PLEASE recommend me some of the Saxon albums that you deem are especially great and also tell me why are they so great (some reviews on the tracks). Please help me discover more Saxon!

The Eagle will land upon me...soon!

Hey Saxon Metal !

Welcome to the forum, better you found Saxon now then never at all eh, and what a back catalogue they have waiting for you!!!

I could try and make this easy and just say "Buy Every Album" ! but as everyone is different of course you might not want to and you might not like every album (although i cant see why not!)

So i will advise you on few of my personal fav Saxon albums ok?

"The Eagle has Landed" What makes this such a masterpiece is the way that this live recording brings together the best of the first albums and presents them together as an awesome setlist, demonstrating perfectly the power of Saxons music when played live, and it shows just how talented these guys are, the vocals, drums, guitars and bass, everything is exactly where it should be and sounds amazing..The crowd give the recording a great metal atmosphere..

"The Eagle has Landed part II" The perfect sequel !!!!

"Crusader" The title track alone is a masterpiece of beautifull melodies and bone crunching riffage woven together with greatlly themed lyrics and all i can say is it is a very important song for all Saxon fans! The album itself shows great diversity and is a timeless piece of work. The cover artwork is awesome as well !

"Innocence is no Excuse" Im not to sure if this album was very well recieved by the media (i was only 10 when it came out!) but it was one of the first Saxon albums i was introduced to, the commercial sound of most of the tracks works really well whilst still keeping the Saxon sound more than intact. This album has aged really well and the production still sounds great, i love every track on this album!!!

........Im kinda short on time right now so very briefly.........

"Solid Ball of Rock" A really 'solid' recording, difficult to fault and a timeless classic! I remember buying this the day it came out, awesome!!!

"Unleash the Beast" Great vibe, a very energetic piece of metal, very diverse and original..

"Metalhead" I was blown away by this album, still am, true Metal if ever i heard it, very powerfull stuff, very original compositions. Must have CD for any metal fan imo! That Intro to Metalhead (the song) shivers down spine etc. !!! Wicked!!

I would also highly recommend: Power and the glory, Dogs of War, Killing Ground, Lionheart....ahh fuck, i said at the start,, get them all !!!

Oh, yeah the DVDs "live innocence" - "Live Legends" - "Chronicles" you cant live without them....trust me!

Welcome to the forum from another newbie!!! If i had to recommend one Saxon album that you havent got yet Id choose Dogs of War. The title track is one angry motherfucker and one one of my fav Saxon tracks!!! Also the rest of the album kinda reminds me of Wheels of Steel with all the refrences to motorbikes etc...

Whats really cool about Saxon is unlike bands like Maiden, Priest and Dio Saxons latest record is just as powerfull and just as good as the classic stuff. Power and the Glory is my favorite classic song that still gets me after all these years.. one of the best, from that great era of the 80s.The live Eagle has Landed is also highly recommended ,after the classics check out the latest ...Lionheart.
I was in the same boat as you by the way... Princess of the Night was my first exposure to Saxon. Its a killer metal song with a great riff

Fred B said:
Whats really cool about Saxon is unlike bands like Maiden, Priest and Dio Saxons latest record is just as powerfull and just as good as the classic stuff.

Thats quite true, not many metal bands seem to retain a solid thematic sound and do so without it damaging there potential to grow and also do so without the sound become boring or dated. Although they of different styles i would credit AC/DC and Slayer with the same ability.

valanx said:
Thats quite true, not many metal bands seem to retain a solid thematic sound and do so without it damaging there potential to grow and also do so without the sound become boring or dated. Although they of different styles i would credit AC/DC and Slayer with the same ability.

I thought that AC/DC was a very boring and out dated band these days!! :D
I thought there last couple of albums were terrible, LOL.
Well, each to there own, but im just not into them anymore.
Back in 1990 i thought 'The Razors Edge' was great, and i bought lots of there back catalogue albums too. :headbang:
I suppose some peoples taste in music can change a bit when they get older?!? :err:

While im always one to defend AC/DC and what they do, i wouldnt say i am exactly a hardcore fan anymore (i really was at one time) as i said to my mate just the other night in fact; 'i kinda feel like i have grown away from them'. I think i have listened to 'Stiff upper Lip' maybe once all the way through!

Having said that i still love the Bon era stuff and i would never say a bad word about about Angus and Co!

I also think as you mature so your musical tastes expand, i mean i used to hate Black Metal but now i fuckin' love it!!! lol

In defence of Dc I have to say that they are the ultimate Rock & Roll live band, you cannot beat an AC/DC gig, the records have fallen by the way side, but it's live where they rule supreme!! If you've never seen them live then you better get to their next tour 'cause they're not getting any younger!!!

Mad Dan McCafferty said:
If you've never seen them live then you better get to their next tour 'cause they're not getting any younger!!!

I will take that as good advice, it seems everytime they have toured here since 1990 fate has conspired against me and i have not gotten to see them.

I would still love to go to a DC gig, despite not being a hardcore fan anymore, i owe it to myself for the DC fan i once was!!

Hi guys!

Thank you so very much for the awesome response, nice to know some recommendations about Saxon records...

The past weekend was a totally mind-blowing time! On Friday, I got my copies of the albums "Wheels Of Steel", "Strong Arm Of The Law" and "Power And the Glory"...and I got 2 awesome live shows: "Greatest Hits Live 10 Years of Denim And Leather" and the '83 Saxon Live...

1. Saxon is absolutely great HEAVY FUCKING METAL!!!

2. I'm sorry to admit I haven't listened to Saxon before during these last 10 years that I've known Saxon to be a top class heavy metal band

3. Saxon gets better and better by the second!

4. I'm already a huge fan of Saxon!

5. It feels like I'd always listened to Saxon, it's just so damn great!

---------------------------------------------------

"Wheels Of Steel" seems to be and truly is a classic Saxon album! So many great metal anthems and rockin' riffs that I'm out of breath!

"Strong Arm Of The Law" is the second big metal fist of Saxon's mastery!

"Power And The Glory"...Hmm, someone said this is a weak album!!! Fuck that, "Power..." is probably and most likely one of the top 5 Saxon albums, so many different metal blasts that this is a true masterpiece of metal history!

"Greatest Hits Live" from 1990 is a seminal Saxon live performance! Almost all the best ("The Eagle Has Landed" not included!) songs of this mighty metallic howitzer! Great picture, greater sound and one of the greatest live shows ever! After watching this show for a couple of times I know I'm a Saxon fan for good! The old classic "Frozen Rainbow" gives me shivers even as I write this, it was so heart-breaking and soul-capturing!!! I have to buy "Saxon" immediately!

'83 Live (VHS cassette) contained a mighty song called "The Eagle Has Landed", found on "Power And The Glory"...This track makes me proud that I've always listened to heavy metal (Priest, Dio, Sabs, Maiden, Stratovarius, etc.), this track epitomizes the very essence and reason for the existence and importance of heavy metal!

------------------------------------------

What a goddamn great singer Biff Byford is! Hell, "The Baron Of Metal" is an understatement! Biff has it all: the voice, the technique, the range, the flair, the laugh...Truly and undeniably, Biff is among my favorite metal vocalists! I'm angered and broken to tears to know that he lost almost everything of his material possessions in the fire! Luckily his family survived, I truly hope that Biff has the courage and stamina to come through this tragedy! Hopefully as many people as possible try to help Biff and his family to overcome this sadness. GOD BLESS YOU BIFF!!!

-------------------------------------------------

I just loved the AWESOME dual riffs and leads of Oliver/Quinn...A crystal clear lead and solo sound, bluesy but wild style of improvising, crunchy riffs all the way...A perfection of metal guitar work!

---------------------------------------------------

Nigel Glockler needs no superlatives, he just fucking rocks the hell out of his cans (and my heart along the way)...I've always deemed that drummers make the core of the music and I must say that Nigel outdid my expectations!

-------------------------------------------------

Not only the style and technique are great in Saxon, but most importantly - the songs...The music of Saxon is legendary from the start!

All this superlative talk about Saxon may - to some - sound too corny. I don't give a rat's ass about that! Saxon represents the top-of-the-line British heavy metal and so far I haven't been able to find any weak links! I know Saxon will be my favorite from this summer on...

------------------------------------------------------------

I've also heard the super-heavy track "All Guns Blazing" from the album "Metalhead"...I know this record will be among my collections soon, along with the latest album, "Killing Ground", "Dogs Of War", "Unleash The Beast" etc. I also have to get some more live shows and music videos, luckily they are available on few DVDs...

Thank you all again for the inspiring feedback!

"The Eagle Has Landed...and I'm captured in the tight grip of its steel talons!"

SAXON FOREVER!

Buy all Saxon albums except forever free and the album that i do not mention it is the album that starts with D.Do not buy this album it will break your heart it is a bag of shit not fit the Saxon name.As for the dc one of the best live gigs i ever saw was the dc in 89.As for the albums what you get is is rock nroll of the hiest order if you had to pick one album it would be Back In Black which does not have Bon Scott on and is 25 years old!

WILKS said:
Buy all Saxon albums except forever free and the album that i do not mention it is the album that starts with D.Do not buy this album it will break your heart it is a bag of shit not fit the Saxon name.

I quite like Forever free, there's some good tracks on it (forever free, hole in the sky, one step away, and nighthunter).

As for Destiny, it is very commercial (keyboards, ballads, e.t.c). Some of the songs are quite good,its just that the production should have been more powerfull and heavyer. There are three songs on this album i love (just wish they were a bit more heavy) For Whom The Bell Tolls, Jericho Siren, and Red Alert.
I would buy this album last, although Rock The Nations aint much better!!

saxon metal said:
"The Eagle Has Landed...and I'm captured in the tight grip of its steel talons!"

SAXON FOREVER!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Really cool post Saxon Metal, was very interesting reading your opinions!
cheers!! May the Mighty Eagle never release you from its tight grip!

Power And The Glory"...Hmm, someone said this is a weak album!!! Fuck that, "Power..." is probably and most likely one of the top 5 Saxon albums, so many different metal blasts that this is a true masterpiece of metal history!

I agree 100 percent Saxon Metal. Its still one of my favorite Saxon records

valanx how could you!? As for Rock The Naitions I think side 1 is top bollock but side2 is so so.Power and The Glory is the Saxon classic that often gets over looked which is a shme cause i think it was the last great albums of that era.After that I dont think Saxon did another true metal classic for a fai few years.

To "Saxon Metal"

Buy the Saxon Chronicles on DVD. On the day that it arrives, put the early 80's Saxon DVD and VHS to one side.... you probably wont want to play these for a while after watching this!!!

Next in your education should be "Unleash The Beast, Killing Ground and Metalhead".

After digesting that lot... "Solid Ball of Rock, Dogs of War, Innocense is no Excuse, and Crusader"

Pick the bones out of "Forever Free" There are maybe 4 decent tracks on there.

As to the other two.... Rock the nations and Destiny.....

Rock the Nations is poor, it contains maybe the most radio friendly track they have ever done in "Waiting for the Night" and apart from Rock the Nations itself.... God only knows why Elton fcking John played on it!!!!

Destiny, is Saxon as they never should have ever sounded, but I do prefer it to "Rock the Nations".

Rock the Nations is IMHO the worst Saxon album released.

Above all though.... Enjoy your Saxon, Go to a live gig, and then worship your Saxon.

-> Yeah, I'm already planning to get the latest of Saxon's live show DVDs. I know that it must be great! My very first Saxon experience was the excellent live piece "Princess Of The Night" from Armageddon Over Wacken 2001 DVD...I love it!

-> These albums -Killing Ground etc. - have been widely recommended and I have a strong feeling that these albums will definitely rock the hell out of me! A heavy metal lesson by Saxon is yet to come...

-> I've heard "All Guns Blazing" so I think the whole album is HEAVY METAL!

-> "Crusader" is definitely the next in line along with "Saxon", "Denim & Leather" and "The Eagle Has Landed" albums..."Dogs Of War" is also widely recommended, according to the fantastic album title it must be a massive, war-like experience...

-> Gotta check those "pick-the-bones" out, maybe I'll like the whole album! :)

-> Yeah, I have the impression that RTN and D are - to some extent - weaker/more "commercial"/ cornier albums of Saxon. But I think they too deserve my attention! I guess I'll find few good ones at least!

-> At least the music of Saxon has thus far hit me like 90 000 tons of thunder!!! I've had my focus on the production of 1979 - 1984, so that may have something to do with it...

-> I will definitely enjoy every second of my Saxon!!! Wish there was a show in Finland as well, I'd be there for 100% sure, front row centerpoint!

Thanks for the recommendations! SAXON FOREVER!!!

"She used to be an IRON HORSE, 20 years ago...She used to bring the mail to me, through the ice and snow...I sat around and watched her, shining through the night!!!!!!"

I agree with what you are saying mattratz but Rockn The Baitions has one of Saxons greatest songs on which is Battlecry.Where as all the songs on the album i do not mention are ruined by that awful production.Mind you when i saw them live on that tour those songs rocked so i dont think the songs are bad i just cant bare the sound on the album.

Hmm..Minority i guess ,but i like Rock the Nations. :headbang:
Pick up Heavy metal thunder its all the classic songs redone with heavier production kicks ass on older songs like wheels,Princess of the Night and motorcycle man

Saxon Metal - Looks like you are starting with the classics "Wheels", "Strong Arm" , "Denim & Leather" then add "Lionheart" this in my opinion is the best material.

Once appetite wetted get "Unleash the Beast", "Killing Ground", I don't think Saxon have ever made a bad album because they write good songs. The problem is the production on most albums from 1986 onwards, they were steered to a market with bid hair and make up in late eighties, radio rock diluted Saxon, its sad to say but if the band had stuck to their roots they may of been as big as Maiden are today.