I'm new to Saxon

At the moment I'm planning of getting few more Saxon albums...

Let's talk about some inspiration I've got from watching Rock Legends - or Greatest Hits Live, 10 Years Of Denim & Leather DVD and the legendary Saxon '83 Live (VHS):

"Rock 'N' Roll Gypsy", "Rockin' Again" and "Back On The Streets" from "Innocence Is No Excuse" really ignited a flame within me on the "Greatest Hits Live" DVD, so I guess the whole album could be as fantastic! If the production sucks a bit, no matter, because I bet I've heard albums with an even lousier production and I still love them!

"And The Bands Played On" from "Denim & Leather" just FUCKING MAKES ME GO CRAZY!!! The opening lead which repeats itself along the way REALLY DRIVES ME INSANELY WILD!!! I can't help the involuntary grin and the clenching of my fists while this masterpiece is loose...I HAVE TO GET "Denim & Leather" quickly, not only because of "Princess..." but because of this mammoth of metal! I also love the mighty swords of steel "Never Surrender" and - of course - the title track, I saw them on the '83 Saxon Live VHS..."Denim & Leather" was such a great song on both live shows! What a great metal!

"Ride Like The Wind" - also on the DVD - from "Destiny" really makes me wonder of how good the whole album could actually be..."Ride Like The Wind" really stands above its name!

The eponymous debut album interests me seriously, since the ultimate metal anthem "Frozen Rainbow" was such a blast when I watched it from the Rock Legends - or Greatest Hits Live, 10 Years Of Denim & Leather DVD!!! I also have the 1997 double album compilation of "Wheels Of Steel" and "Strong Arm Of The Law" where the powerful tracks "Stallions Of The Highway" and "Judgement Day" are included as bonus tracks. These tracks truly captured my heart. So, "Saxon" demands to be in my collections!

"Crusader"...A super strong metal anthem! If the title track of the album is this AWESOME, how great the album itself could be...?

-------------------------------------------------

PLEASE DESCRIBE MORE THESE ABOVE MENTIONED ALBUMS!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE EARLIER RESPONSE AND REVIEWS!

I guess - according to some reviews and my general metal taste - the latest 5 Saxon studio albums must be something I would really like to enjoy..."Metalhead" already has my vote, since "All Guns Blazing" really knocked me down! Also, I've always believed and known that when a long-time legend like Saxon does a reprise of older tracks - using modern sound tech - the result is nothing but excellent! "Heavy Metal Thunder" has all the most legendary pieces Saxon has ever made, so I guess - and know - that this is a killer compilation!

ALL HAIL DUKE BIFFORD AND THE SAXON KNIGHTS!!!

P.S. As I write this, I've come to know that within the circle of my heavy metal enthusiastic friends I'm the ONLY one around who really admires (and even knows about) the music of Saxon!!! So, I guess I'm a newly beknighted crusader of Saxon metal! I'm on a mission of inspiring other potential people to discover one of the greatest true heavy metal bands in this fricking world!

SAXON...SAXON...SAXON...SAXON...SAXON...!!!

Welcome to the forum "newly beknighted crusader of Saxon metal", that's one awesome title there!!!! Saxon are indeed one of the best bands on the planet and I'm getting ultra excited at the thought of seeing them in less than 2 months. WOOHOO.

wow somone is getting a little excited mind you fair play to yer.The last band that got me excited like that was when i first heard the libertines(hated by most on here i expevt).Its good to see people getting excited about music evan better when its saxon:headbang:

Yes Wilks the Saxon concert in Edinburgh will be mighty indeed cos they totally blew me away last year in Glasgow, I just couldn't believe how superb they were. This will be my 4th time seeing them, so it'll be amazing. But before the Saxon concert, I'm even more excited about seeing BUDGIE on the 16th September cos they're my 2nd fav band of all time and they are totally outstanding live. This will be my 5th time seeing Budgie and last time I saw them was about 2 weeks after I saw Saxon last year and they were 100% totally out of this world.

I'm not joking Wilks just go see them cos they are touring next month, only 2 Scottish dates but quite a few in England, so I'll need to have a look on their site and get dates or come to think of it, I might have posted the Budgie dates on here ages ago.

Squawk, In For The Kill and Bandolier are all excellent albums but you might be better starting off with a compliation album called An Ectasy of Fumbling which is double cd and has the most awesome budgie songs on it, likes of Breadfan, Homicidal Suicidal, Hot as a Dockers Armpit, In The Grip of a Tyrefitters Hand, Crash Course in Brain Surgery, Superstar and Panzer Division Destroyed. I'm in the mood for some Budgie now or even down load a couple just now to see if you like them but I'm sure you will think they totally rock - try and get these now Guts, Napoleon Bonaparte, Crash Course in Brain Surgery, Homicidal Suicidal.

Crusader is one of the best saxon songs ever.Its a top album icant think of any songs on there i dont like.It was the first album i ever brought on the day of release.I also used one of the songs to pull a fit bird at school.

I really don't give a rat's ass about the whole obscure Sharon vs. Iron Maiden fiasco at the Ozzfest on last Saturday. If Bruce's anti-Ozzy&co-on-a-reality-show-etc-banter really irritated someone in the Ozzy camp or if this eventually was the true reason for the assault on Maiden or not, I really don't care. All I know and care about is that the MUSIC of Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Ozzy ALL FUCKING RULE!!! I'm into heavy metal here, I'm not a fucking journalist or a candy-ass gossip wanker! I'm a HEAVY METAL MANIAC!!!

To my real point: I - at last - found SAXON's "Denim & Leather" from a nearby record shop...I'm going to enjoy and endulge in every second of it!!!

Saxon = Heavy Metal's Stainless Steel Eagle!!!

saxon metal said:
I'm into heavy metal here, I'm not a fucking journalist or a candy-ass gossip wanker! I'm a HEAVY METAL MANIAC!!!

hehe yeah mate!

But as far as im concerned as an Iron Maiden fan im greatly offended by ozzy and the other walking corspes in sabbath, whatever happened they just stood by and did fuck all and i wont forget that! ozzy/sabbath should of hung thier shit up years ago, they just dont cut it for me personally. Ozzy has become a parody of everything he has achieved and he is just flogging a dead horse with sabbath!

Well, I guess I have to say this, since the stupidity gains momentum all around on other forums and media as well:

* Situation: Two different singers/bands/camps have something against each other

-> Prohibited: Attacking the other party by expressing personal opinions on stage (who cares about your feuds, fans care about the show and the music you play)

-> Extremely FUCKING prohibited: Spoiling a LIVE SHOW of a reknown band because of the feud (don't make the fans suffer because of your conflict)

-> Solution: talk it over face to face, DON'T rant on stage and DON'T EVER FUCKING SPOIL a LIVE SHOW of the band whose singer has a conflict with you!!! Mind the fans who PAY and make your lives abundant!!!

Simple and universal!

Lesson is adjourned. (and I'm only 25)

----------------------------------------

SAXON RULES! HAIL TO SIR BIFFORD AND THE KNIGHTS!!!

Pax,its more of a story of revenge.There was agirl at school who was well fit.But she hated all things metal evan to the point of getting her boyfriend to try and kick the shit outta acertain metal fan(me)oh by the did he get a shock.Anyhow as the 80 progressed metal got chart friendly ,Bon Jovi ,Def Leppard and then saxon had a big hit wth ride like the wind.All of sudden im cool and boy did she flirt round me.So i wrote a beutiful poem(the lyrics to do all for you).I then got abit of what i fancied and gave her a tape of crusader.She was not impressed.

All hail to Saxon!!! I'm back with my reviews of Saxon metal!!! Love it or loathe it, here I go: :hotjump:

For the last few days I've once again explored new horizons of Saxon's excellent metal...I got "Rock The Nations", "Forever Free" and "A Collection Of Metal" from my friend and I immediately dived into the skies with the mighty Eagle of steel and thunder...
:headbang:

---------------------------------

From "ROCK THE NATIONS" I discovered many new favorites that I sincerely have become to love with all my heart.

The title track "Rock The Nations" is a beautiful metal anthem, "we-are-as-one-with-metal" kind of song which has truly captured my heart. Powerful drums, soaring vocals, great crushing riffs...I love it! A huge song when experienced live! 9/10

"Battle Cry"...A strong double kick bass beat, beloved riffs of speed metal haste, once again Sir Bifford delivering some of the best vocals I've heard, fantastic lyrics indeed - I as a lyricist myself love historical pieces of writing work! 10/10

"Waiting For The Night"...It may be a polished, sugar-coated, glossy Americanized commercial piece, but this song has been made with metal attitude, metal style, metal taste and metal spirit! In fact, this song made me shiver because it soars with good spirit and makes me dream of an open highway with machine of thunder under me...If I have to listen to more commercial metal, I'd choose Saxon because Saxon can deliver the commercial side with a power! 9/10

Once again with an America-oriented "commercial" and "radio-friendly" sound and style, "We Came Here To Rock" just shows how daring and ballsy Saxon can be..and how they can come through it all with a triumph! This track is once again one of those spirit-raisers on live shows! I would like to be on location when this song is unleashed! 8/10

The energy and highway spirit of "Running Hot" were just the right ingredients for a good metal song...Great feeling! 8/10

"Empty Promises" is an example of simple and good metal! Steady and strong, the riffs and beats just work in this one! 8/10

"Northern Lady" is an epitome of Saxon's surprisingly versatile skill and talent to make great ballads with a metal style...Great singing, great playing. An interesting ending song.
9/10

Rock The Nations 9/10 :cool:

------------------------------

From "Denim & Leather" (next week I'll get the album itself, finally able to listen the original versions!!!) I have to mention the FANTASTIC metal hail by the name "And The Bands Played On". The lyrics, the feeling...The main lead is BEAUTIFUL, it makes me to involuntarily grin my teeth and clench my fists!!! 10/10 :kickass:

"Play It Loud" represents the steady and unwavering blues-based strength of Saxon...Once again demands that I get myself the whole album! 9/10

From "INNOCENCE IS NO EXCUSE" I've listened to few songs with the compilation CD I mentioned.

"Back On The Streets" (I'm already familiar with this through the Greatest Hits Live DVD) is a 100 % live show rocker! Good feeling, easy going, summer-time spirit. A great song to be listened on the cold dark nights of Nordic autumn... 10/10

"Rock N' Roll Gypsy" has truly wonderful guitar riffs and lead sections! The great and groovy chorus makes me rock like hell! One of my favorites! 10/10

"Broken Heroes" is killer metal anthem! In all its mesmerizing simplicity, this song captures my heart with its eerieness and emotional drive. Atmospheric vocal melodies...Aaarrgghh! And the riffs and the solo on this one are some of the best I've heard - ever! I love this! "Broken Heroes" is an excellent metal ballad anthem! 10/10

"Everybody Up" is a pompous and up-tempo metal rocker, truly living up and beyond its title! Energetic and forceful, this song makes me happy! 9/10

I guess "Raise Some Hell" has some of the most typical qualities of Saxon: strength, vision, philosophy. I think this chainsaw-riff-monger would be great live!
8/10

"Innocence Is No Excuse" 9/10 :headbang:

From "DESTINY" I've had the privilege of being able to listen to just two songs, "Ride Like The Wind" and "I Can't Wait Anymore"

"Ride Like The Wind" is a strong-riffing anthem of high-style Saxon metal. All about the freedom of an individual. Just great!

With all the amazingly commercial and almost overly sweet soundscape, "I Can't Wait Anymore" still has the power I seek from a metal song. Thick, tasteful and finely tuned love song. Absolutely beautiful guitar licks and the might of the vocals...This beats Bon Jovi 6-0!!!

Both tracks 9/10 ;)

-------------------------------

The title track of "CRUSADER" is - of course - a super powerful masterpiece 10/10, but also the more hasty grooves and attitude of "Set Me Free" really made me think that the whole album could be great..."Set Me Free" is a good power-charger of metal mayhem!

8/10 :D

-------------------------------

From "FOREVER FREE" the title track shows that Saxon is about to start its rise to the edge of metal strength of the 90's. The title track is a strong opener with the grinding drum/bass beats and guitar sears, right from the start. Not to forget the excellency of vocals Sir Bifford seems to have enhanced album by album...The soaring vocal-powered chorus proves this... 9/10

"Hole In The Sky" is another example of classy and ever-developing metal power! Saxon really hits me in the face with this riff-drum-blaster! Lean, mean, killing lead-breaker machine! 9,5/10

It amazes me how a band can really knock me senseless with their diversity and artistry. With the mighty Western-spirited elegy song "Iron Wheels" Biff and the boys do just this, truly stabbing me in the core of my heart...This song is - undeniably - one of the most beautiful lyrical and musical works of Saxon metal! 10/10

"One Step Away" has a killer guitar riff! Merciless drumming, cool guitar licks, groovy chorus...Once again the soaring vocals are the crown of this riff-razer! 9/10

"Can't Stop Rockin'" is a good "rocking-all-night-long" song with good spirit and easy going emotion! The bluesy lead just adds to the flavor of having some metal fun! The chorus makes this a perfect rock 'n' roll piece! 9/10

With the powerful riff-speedsters "Nighthunter" and "Cloud Nine" Saxon awakes my speed-power metal soul alive again! Cool vocal-powered choruses, blues-based solos, machine gun drum/bass lines...Rock 'n' roll feelings up high! 9/10

"Grind"...A cool, laid-back and bluesy heavy metal piece. Saxon flying high with style! 8,5/10
:devil:

----------------------------------------------------

If my progress of experiencing classic Saxon has thus far been this great, how great can it get when I manage to get to the latest 10 years, the coveted "Dogs Of War" <---> "Lionheart" era...? Not to mention the classic albums I've not heard yet entirely or even at all - Crusader, Solid Ball Of Rock, Destiny...I guess I'm gonna go absolutely crazy!!! :headbang:

P.S. My next order will include albums "Saxon", "The Eagle Has Landed", "Crusader" and "Metalhead"...maybe "Lionheart" if I have the guts... :)