I'm new to Saxon

valanx said:
hehe yeah mate!

But as far as im concerned as an Iron Maiden fan im greatly offended by ozzy and the other walking corspes in sabbath, whatever happened they just stood by and did fuck all and i wont forget that! ozzy/sabbath should of hung thier shit up years ago, they just dont cut it for me personally. Ozzy has become a parody of everything he has achieved and he is just flogging a dead horse with sabbath!

Bollocks mate. I saw them in Athens a while back at the Rockwave festival and they were brilliant. Those Greeks know their stuff and they were well up for it. Didn't Iron Maiden once gatecrash a Priest sound check and start heckling and throwing beer around? That's not showing much respect to a band who helped them get where they are! I'm not a Maiden fan any more since Di'anno left and haven't bothered to see them since then but don't mind a couple of the Dickinson era albums but they need to get over themselves. Didn't they (Bruce) claim they'd kept 'metal' alive for the past 10 years? I think Motorhead and Saxon might have something to say about that! :headbang:

bert said:
Didn't they (Bruce) claim they'd kept 'metal' alive for the past 10 years? I think Motorhead and Saxon might have something to say about that! :headbang:

Yes, but Iron Maiden are the ONLY proper british metal band that can still have top 10 singles every now and again.
When was the last time Saxon or Motorhead had a single in the U.K. top 40???
And only Maiden can still headline big music events, so in a way they are helping to keep metal alive.
I agree with Valanx, Sabbath should call it a day, or get rid of Ozzy (living dead) Osbourne and find someone who still has a pulse :lol:

CRUSADER747 said:
Yes, but Iron Maiden are the ONLY proper british metal band that can still have top 10 singles every now and again.
When was the last time Saxon or Motorhead had a single in the U.K. top 40???

And who gives a tinkers toss about the singles chart?! It has always been anti metal anyway, and now it is just totally irrelevant anyway.

Paxoman said:
And who gives a tinkers toss about the singles chart?! It has always been anti metal anyway, and now it is just totally irrelevant anyway.

If you don't get in the charts you wont be very well known to the general public. I have seen maiden on T.V. (top of the pops) quite a few times, and its a GREAT feeling to have a metal band like that on national TV.
You also get quite a few young people with Maiden T shirts on, but if you asked them if they liked Saxon, they would probably give you a blank look (unfortunatly).
So even though Saxon's albums are BETTER than Maiden's these days, its really Maiden thats keeping Metal alive.
They also have Eddie as there mascot which is foooookin cool, people would buy a Maiden album just for the cover (sometimes) :headbang:

CRUSADER747 said:
So even though Saxon's albums are BETTER than Maiden's these days, its really Maiden thats keeping Metal alive.

In some ways you are probably right, no REAL metal band has the kind of media influence worldwide that Iron Maiden has. And allthough the UK top 40 chart means nothing to me, the fact that Maiden are so often able to crossover into the mainstream must surely be a testament to the kinds of influence they have.

I kinda like the charts.Now days you dont have to sell many records to get in them,so they show broader reflection of the naitions music taste.Maiden have always gone well in the charts for a few reasons.Firstly they have Eddie and soon as you see Eddie on the cover of a record its almost like a kite mark,you know what what you are going to get.Which lets face it is a prime slab of quality metal.Secondly you get a Bside,a non album track or a cover version so you are going to get better value for money.

Maiden set the standards for metal,and for some reason 90% of bands failed to take note.We all say we hate the charts,but lets face if Saxon got to number 1 for some reason ie a sample on a hiphop track(which im working on) or a commercial we would be drunk for a week.

WILKS said:
soon as you see Eddie on the cover of a record its almost like a kite mark,you know what what you are going to get.Which lets face it is a prime slab of quality metal.

Thats a damn cool way of describing maiden cover artwork mate!

Kite mark, yeah i like that!!

Welcome to the forum, saxon metal. Hails from Brasil!
As to the Saxon albums, in fact I’d also say to you, buy them all. But we all know that it’s difficult to buy them all at once, so I’ recommend these ones to you to come next.

- Crusader : Another classic album, songs like Crusader and Just Let Me Rock are killers. Of course all other songs are great. I bought this album when it was released in the 80’s, and it defined the image of the band as the crusaders of Heavy Metal, as well as, for instance, Defenders Of The Faith defined the image of Judas priest of defenders of Heavy Metal. Crusader is one of the albums, which helped to write the history of Heavy Metal.

- Innocence Is No Excuse : All songs in this album are cool, good riffs, good solos and the great vocal performance of Biff. I’d point as one of the highest moments of this album, my beloved song “Broken Heroes”, which in my opinion is one of the Best SONGS Saxon gave us in their carreer. I can even say, that this song itself, makes the whole album to be worth having it! The video clip of that song is also great.

- Lionheart : This is the latest album of them, but I consider it one of the band’s best albums. If you buy it, you won’t be disappointed, this is a modern classic!

Ah, one note about Power And The Glory. I saw that you already got it, congrats! In my opinion this is one of the Top 5 Saxon albums and naturally one of the Top 10 all time Heavy Metal albums.

And to finish this post, since you’re enjoying all these Saxon classics, I can suggest you the “Live Innocence & The Power And The Glory Video Anthology” DVD. In this DVD you’ll watch a show from the Innocence Is No Excuse tour and also the classic video clips of the band, like Power And The Glory, Nightmare, Broken Heroes, etc