I'm Recording Saxophone (HELP)

DayByDayBand

Thrashin' With Pashin'
Feb 19, 2011
United States
Okay, so my music teacher asked if i could record a saxophone piece for him. im wondering if you guys have any suggestions at all on mic's, mic plasement, eq'ing, and any other post-production.

any help at all would be awesome!

the choice of mic's i have are: shure sm58, or a shure ksm141
thank you!

I 'd throw them both up. Don't point the mic straight down the bell. Sax players tend to move quite a bit so give yourself a little space as this will minimize impact of his motion (and the proximity effect). Also, check out the thread that nosgulstic posted. Sax is all about the midrange 400-800.

I'm not the greatest at recording but I've been playing sax for a while now so here's what I think might be of some importance. All of the sound doesn't just come from the bell, a good amount also comes from the key holes, but how hard the player slams his keys will determine how much key noise you'll get.

Have the 58 a few inches in front of the horn facing down it but keeping in mind the air that comes out of the horn at the mic. Place the KSM141 about a foot away facing towards the keys and where the fingers are playing. Blend to taste.
Sax loves a big verb with a large pre delay.

I guess that you might be needing a little or a bit of a saxophone lessons in order to achieve something that you would want there. In that way, you would be able to really get things work out, as well as you would be having to learn a lot. Good luck!

I guess that you might be needing a little or a bit of a saxophone lessons in order to achieve something that you would want there. In that way, you would be able to really get things work out, as well as you would be having to learn a lot. Good luck!

jk but seriously wtf are you talking about

Last edited by a moderator: