I'm sick of sucking so bad at guitar someone help me!

thanks for the awsome replies.

Quite honestly I played for about 3 years in highschool and gave up guitar.

In college i listened to a hell of lot of opeth and got back into getting into new music and what not and after graduating from a hell of a degree I have a bit of time on my hands to learn guitar again. I don't suck suck - i can play some stuff like the entire solo up to speed for fade to black and nothing else matters. I can play a sloppy but up to speed version of november rain and sweet child of mine. Last thing i got into in highschool was hendrix and malmsteen - just because a tab book i picked up on Kirk Hammets style listed those two as key influences.

Right now i'm slowing down what I now with other friends that are into shred and I really want to get good this time round.

I hate punk so i doubt i can get into that (except if you consider At-the-drive in punk then thats an exception)

I'm trying to get as many different styles under my fingers atm - even trying out michael angelo's speed kills slow and crossroads guitar duel by vai. This morning i was jamming to sunshine of your love by cream - so i think i have a varied set of styles for my musical vocab.

Hope that helps

You say many different styles but you list Vai and Michael Angelo... Malmsteen... Why not try some jazz or blues?

Some Iron Maiden is easy...it teaches you the power chord "shape" quite well.

I started on Nightwish - Wishmaster album stuff. Simple, standard tuning, and what i was into at the time.

Get a metronome. Just play random scales back and forth across the fretboard. I usually just go with basic Major/minor and their modes.
Start off slow enough that you can play them perfectly--and really take your time to make sure you've got it down. Increase the bpm by 10 or 12 or so whenever you're comfortable. And note your progress, so when you practice later or the next day you start faster than before.
Spending a few hours a day doing this should give you some nice, notable progress.