iMac

Tachy

Senior Fuckers
Dec 9, 2005
In Italy
Hi guys, I bought recently an iMac for audio recordings.
I use the iMac with my firewire m-audio 1814, I diveded the harddrive in two partitions, one for system and programs and one for audio files.
I use nuendo for recording, everything work ok but I noticed a little click an pops
during monitoring.
I wont to ask you if ther's any trik for this, I have the buffer of my audio card set to 64.

Hi guys, I bought recently an iMac for audio recordings.
I use the iMac with my firewire m-audio 1814, I diveded the harddrive in two partitions, one for system and programs and one for audio files.
I use nuendo for recording, everything work ok but I noticed a little click an pops
during monitoring.
I wont to ask you if ther's any trik for this, I have the buffer of my audio card set to 64.

increase buffersize

but, i noticed if I increase the buffersize the latency that I have increase.....this will affect what i'll record?

"clicks and pops" sounds like a Word Clock issue.

"setting up for an audio application" would be best done with two drives, your internal and an external, because using one physical drive for both your DAW software and the session files is a bad idea. simply partitioning is not really good enough.. you need to get an external drive for your sessions. if i were you i'd use the second partition for storing your samples and the "soundbank" files for your virtual instruments, gog files, etc.

But if I need an external hard drive, can you give some advice for this type of drive? thanks James

But if I need an external hard drive, can you give some advice for this type of drive? thanks James
as long as it's 7200 RPM it should work... i'd say go for a FW400 or FW800 drive... Glyph and OWC both make great models for "industrial strength" audio work.. but really pretty much any one will do as long as it's 7200 RPM.

Glyph I think is pretty much undisputed as the external hard drive company to beat, but I've had a Seagate 160 GB for 3 years now with no problems (it has both FW and USB 2 connections, which is immensely useful).

"setting up for an audio application" would be best done with two drives, your internal and an external, because using one physical drive for both your DAW software and the session files is a bad idea.

Can anyone explain the details of why that is bad? I am not disputing it at all, but I have searched and have never found any technical details of why exactly.

And is a separate second internal drive just a s good as an external drive? or is there something to actually routing out through USB or FW?

Can anyone explain the details of why that is bad? I am not disputing it at all, but I have searched and have never found any technical details of why exactly.

And is a separate second internal drive just a s good as an external drive? or is there something to actually routing out through USB or FW?

I was told it was because the system software and the app needs to access the HD, raising the potential of conflicting requests to the HD.

By that explanation, then separate internals would also alleviate the same potential problem.

yes, separate internals are fine.... as long as it is actually a physically serarate drive and not just a partition of the system drive. dreamcatcher has the explanation pretty much correct, at least one aspect of it.

Fuckkkkkk!!! My nuendo 3 is not compatible with my iMac.......infact when I try to export my mixdown ther is an error and nuendo is closed by the system......I must upgrade at Nuendo 4.
Ther's anyone of you guys that have the iMac? and what programs do you use for audio recordings?

Fuckkkkkk!!! My nuendo 3 is not compatible with my iMac.......infact when I try to export my mixdown ther is an error and nuendo is closed by the system......I must upgrade at Nuendo 4.
Ther's anyone of you guys that have the iMac? and what programs do you use for audio recordings?

i run logic pro 8 and Digital performer on mine. however logic is not up to par with Nuendo IMO. Dp is similar to pro tools and Nuendo.

should be compatible!

but if you upgrade consider Cubase 4 instead of Nuendo4...way cheaper and I bet there's nothing you're using in Nuendo that you can't use in Cubase.