iMac

You could also purchase a good internal drive and use a FW800 enclosure - that can be a bit cheaper than buying a dedicated external. An enclosure is a little external box that holds the drive, plugs into it, and then reads from the drive interacting with the computer via USB or FireWire.

Jeff

If you're just recording demos one or two tracks at a time, there's theoretically nothing wrong with using your internal disk. The problem is your old Nuendo software. I highly recommend Logic Studio 8, best value for the money, and since it's made by Apple, it will take advantage of your hardware the most efficiently.

That being said, it is a widely accepted best-practice to use an external drive to record to, and you can do this on the cheap if you buy an older 7200 RPM IDE drive and mount it inside an external FireWire 400 enclosure. No reason to spend big bucks on an overpriced external hard drive, as hard drive technology hasn't substantially changed in many years. You will be advised to make frequent backups no matter how reliable the hard drive company markets itself to be.

@Kazrog: I recording 8 or 9 track at a time, becouse I recording a lot drum tracks.
I think to upgrade to nuendo 4, but I have a doubt about the external drive. becouse M-audio sey that the bus that control my fw1814 is the same that will controll the external drive........I don't know what is the best solution for me at the moment.

@Kazrog: I recording 8 or 9 track at a time, becouse I recording a lot drum tracks.
I think to upgrade to nuendo 4, but I have a doubt about the external drive. becouse M-audio sey that the bus that control my fw1814 is the same that will controll the external drive........I don't know what is the best solution for me at the moment.

Then get an external drive that supports both USB 2.0 AND FireWire 400 - that way you have both options.

Yes...thanks.
Kazrog I have a question, I dowloaded the drivers of my fw1814, but I have a doubt......my mac is an intel based and have the mac os 10.4.10...I dowloaded this driver, but ther is an another driver that called 10.4.6 Intel....what is the right driver?

Yes...thanks.
Kazrog I have a question, I dowloaded the drivers of my fw1814, but I have a doubt......my mac is an intel based and have the mac os 10.4.10...I dowloaded this driver, but ther is an another driver that called 10.4.6 Intel....what is the right driver?

yes